ABF | Line Haul New Breed

But I bet they learned to crank the legs down all the way then for good measure put it in low gear and crank some more. So simple, crank them down leave two inches between the pads and the ground loaded or empty. Let the air bags empty and pull out, empty the bags before backing under, the truck do the heavy lifting !!!!
Don't know if company has told you the reason for one seat, our safety man told me,, it's so drivers would know which side tractor is driven from.
i always thought it was which side the mirror wasn’t missing from?

Yeah,.....My fashion was from the Clem Kaddiddlehopper collection.........Accessoried with the latest split-leather gloves,......and always up-to-date on my footwear,......featuring Steel-Toes with the obligatory slash on the tips,...exposing the steel...(..and ruining the waterproofing..)......

Now that you are retired you can sell those old steel toe boots for probably more than you gave for them. Young people are buying the 'Distressed Look' boots to match their $100 jeans with the torn fabric & holes in the knees. I have seen some worn Red Wing boots which I wear, with the steel in the toes showing, priced at ridiculous prices.

Now that you are retired you can sell those old steel toe boots for probably more than you gave for them. Young people are buying the 'Distressed Look' boots to match their $100 jeans with the torn fabric & holes in the knees. I have seen some worn Red Wing boots which I wear, with the steel in the toes showing, priced at ridiculous prices.
My granddaughter came in with a pair of those jeans, told her "you could have looked in the dumpster behind the Salvation Army and saved your money"

Every company is the exact same with this. As long as the new hires understand the ELD and the bare minimum about the job they are sent off on their own. I know before I started driving you used to have to have years of experience under your belt before a LTL company would ever consider you for the job. Some of these recruiters or hiring managers seem to think that CDL schools teach you more than just enough to pass the state exams.

I currently work for Estes and am 1 of 3 people that trains our new hires for Linehaul at my terminal. They all get a week(5 days) of training. I can't help but feel like I'm setting some of these guys up for failure just because there just isn't enough time to drill everything into their brains. The TM doesn't seem to care as long as they can get the freight moving down the road.
Where I’m at, driver trainers get extra $20/day to train. My new meet guy has brought me placarded pup 2 of last 3 days. Which is nice except they had no hazmat on them. And the 2k lead with 13k tail was cute too. I should get $20/day for dealing with the untrained. Smh

Every company is the exact same with this. As long as the new hires understand the ELD and the bare minimum about the job they are sent off on their own. I know before I started driving you used to have to have years of experience under your belt before a LTL company would ever consider you for the job. Some of these recruiters or hiring managers seem to think that CDL schools teach you more than just enough to pass the state exams.

I currently work for Estes and am 1 of 3 people that trains our new hires for Linehaul at my terminal. They all get a week(5 days) of training. I can't help but feel like I'm setting some of these guys up for failure just because there just isn't enough time to drill everything into their brains. The TM doesn't seem to care as long as they can get the freight moving down the road.

That’s every company. Just a warm body in the seat to get things moving. No matter if they are qualified enough or not.

Where I’m at, driver trainers get extra $20/day to train. My new meet guy has brought me placarded pup 2 of last 3 days. Which is nice except they had no hazmat on them. And the 2k lead with 13k tail was cute too. I should get $20/day for dealing with the untrained. Smh
An extra $20 a day sure beats the $0 I get. I'm not sure where they find some of these people.

I've made the point time and again......the companies advertise for "Truck Drivers".......They should be advertising for...."Freight Handlers".
Too many new-hires are expecting to...grip the steering wheel only. Great for Long-Haul big box carriers......They don't want those overweight potential Worker's Compensation cases back in the trailer....where the Revenue is made....That's why they want Lumpers only.....
But,...in LTL freight.......your truck driving skills are a....given. You're automatically assumed to be the Best Driver In The World...right from the Git-Go,...
...because you're supposed to concentrate on the....Freight Handling.....You know,....back in that box where the actual Profit and Loss occurs,...(according to the bean-counters...)
How the Freight actually gets to it's destination.....is something that trucking Executives hate to think about , historically.....
Paying a guy to sit in a seat...(...the proper one,...Thanks Bro. Seabreeze!..)....gives the corporate people the Willies.....He's not touching the Freight! Horrors!....A Loss of Wages!

But,.....the largest part of trucking liability,....is the Driving part.

So,....Companies have to advertise for...."Truck Drivers"......in the hopes that the basic skills were taught at whichever Fly-By-Night "school" the potential new-hire came from.

A Company Official,....whom I respected,.....told me years ago,.....that it took 5 years for a "truck driver"....working in LTL,...to become a profitable LTL driver,....combining trucking skills with OJT freight handling skills.

There are ....two jobs here......Truck Driving....AND Freight Handling.......

And we all know the companies are only taking ONE of those jobs seriously.....And only wishing to pay for ONE of those jobs....

And it Ain't the Job they're advertising for........

Oh, no!.....I earned my "Distressed" look.........I am "weathered" the natural way......My tatters came from actual Sharp Projections,...Badly Placed Pallets.......Jagged Aluminum Trailer sides.......

Just like Stripes on a grizzled Sergeant-Major,......I put the Time in,...to look like this......Yves St. Laurent couldn't design Authenticity like this.....I got Authenticity in Spades!

If I accidentially stood outside Wal-Mart with a coffee cup in my hand,........some young couple would come past and say: "Oh, look dear! An Old Retired Truck Driver augmenting his (cut) pension!....."
.....and they'd stick a Dollar in my Coffee cup......

Authentic look is.....earned!

An extra $20 a day sure beats the $0 I get. I'm not sure where they find some of these people.
Oh ya some never check dolly 5th couple pull out of gate trailer falls off we have a guy too fat to put a set together so he always gets a van and pulls out of yard with roll up open we have drivers crackin up front end and fenders and dont say a word just return to parking spot if they even use the assigned spot half the trucks are bunched up by the gate we also have drivers that dont like their assigned truck and take someone else assigned truck

I've made the point time and again......the companies advertise for "Truck Drivers".......They should be advertising for...."Freight Handlers".
Too many new-hires are expecting to...grip the steering wheel only. Great for Long-Haul big box carriers......They don't want those overweight potential Worker's Compensation cases back in the trailer....where the Revenue is made....That's why they want Lumpers only.....
But,...in LTL freight.......your truck driving skills are a....given. You're automatically assumed to be the Best Driver In The World...right from the Git-Go,...
...because you're supposed to concentrate on the....Freight Handling.....You know,....back in that box where the actual Profit and Loss occurs,...(according to the bean-counters...)
How the Freight actually gets to it's destination.....is something that trucking Executives hate to think about , historically.....
Paying a guy to sit in a seat...(...the proper one,...Thanks Bro. Seabreeze!..)....gives the corporate people the Willies.....He's not touching the Freight! Horrors!....A Loss of Wages!

But,.....the largest part of trucking liability,....is the Driving part.

So,....Companies have to advertise for...."Truck Drivers"......in the hopes that the basic skills were taught at whichever Fly-By-Night "school" the potential new-hire came from.

A Company Official,....whom I respected,.....told me years ago,.....that it took 5 years for a "truck driver"....working in LTL,...to become a profitable LTL driver,....combining trucking skills with OJT freight handling skills.

There are ....two jobs here......Truck Driving....AND Freight Handling.......

And we all know the companies are only taking ONE of those jobs seriously.....And only wishing to pay for ONE of those jobs....

And it Ain't the Job they're advertising for........
Lumpers are too high to know if they hurt their back

Don't know if company has told you the reason for one seat, our safety man told me,, it's so drivers would know which side tractor is driven from.
Ok, I can accept that. But, assuming the driver is not blind, the driver, when they look in to the cab, can see where the steering wheel is located, therefore, providing ample evidence, proving which side of the tractor to drive from. von.

Ok, I can accept that. But, assuming the driver is not blind, the driver, when they look in to the cab, can see where the steering wheel is located, therefore, providing ample evidence, proving which side of the tractor to drive from. von.

Sonofagun, Von! Pretty good deduction......
But......what if someone stole the steering wheel?

Von, you have a valid point, but covered under the Hummingbird article of the Carolina supplement,the company was required to provide a seeing eye dog for any driver with a vision disability.
If the driver forgot to bring along his dog for the trip, this could be a problem.
At the time PIE folded, we were negotiating to require a seat be required for each seeing eye dog.
Sadly, this never came to pass.
Hope I didn't offend anyone by not using the term,(Service Dog)

Von, you have a valid point, but covered under the Hummingbird article of the Carolina supplement,the company was required to provide a seeing eye dog for any driver with a vision disability.
If the driver forgot to bring along his dog for the trip, this could be a problem.
At the time PIE folded, we were negotiating to require a seat be required for each seeing eye dog.
Sadly, this never came to pass.
Hope I didn't offend anyone by not using the term,(Service Dog)
I am not offended. But can you tell me What Article number the Hummingbird act is under? I think it is under Article 47 Chapter 7 Sub paragraph iii. This is the closest I can come to BS. Your turn. von.