ABF | Line Haul New Breed

Von, you have a valid point, but covered under the Hummingbird article of the Carolina supplement,the company was required to provide a seeing eye dog for any driver with a vision disability.
If the driver forgot to bring along his dog for the trip, this could be a problem.
At the time PIE folded, we were negotiating to require a seat be required for each seeing eye dog.
Sadly, this never came to pass.
Hope I didn't offend anyone by not using the term,(Service Dog)
All for the seeing eye dog driving. But, can he or she tarp a load? von.

Where I’m at, driver trainers get extra $20/day to train. My new meet guy has brought me placarded pup 2 of last 3 days. Which is nice except they had no hazmat on them. And the 2k lead with 13k tail was cute too. I should get $20/day for dealing with the untrained. Smh
CRST?

Oh, no!.....I earned my "Distressed" look.........I am "weathered" the natural way......My tatters came from actual Sharp Projections,...Badly Placed Pallets.......Jagged Aluminum Trailer sides.......

Just like Stripes on a grizzled Sergeant-Major,......I put the Time in,...to look like this......Yves St. Laurent couldn't design Authenticity like this.....I got Authenticity in Spades!

If I accidentially stood outside Wal-Mart with a coffee cup in my hand,........some young couple would come past and say: "Oh, look dear! An Old Retired Truck Driver augmenting his (cut) pension!....."
.....and they'd stick a Dollar in my Coffee cup......

Authentic look is.....earned!
I hear ya! I still wear my my ‘ABF boots’ at my sweet little part-time job! Oh....and I still ‘wear’ the gray hair too.

Ouch, you stepped right on my toes, we never chained up, they always sent out a vendor or shop guys.
Can't say about the West Coast.
Snow is rare around Charl, unless you were caught on the road.
I'll bet my designer clothes were about like yours, jeans?

I always thought that chaining up was one of the requirements for real truck drivers. There was female trucker who used to post on here & she always 'threw' her own chains.

I always thought that chaining up was one of the requirements for real truck drivers. There was female trucker who used to post on here & she always 'threw' her own chains.

Didn't say I was fur real, not sure if I'm even (Bonified)
Bossman didn't want us to get our hands dirty.

I knew a driver who with his son pulled loads across the upper west. He said they chained drive axles pulling the mountains, then they chained trailer axles to have brakes going down.

I knew a driver who with his son pulled loads across the upper west. He said they chained drive axles pulling the mountains, then they chained trailer axles to have brakes going down.
That’s creative. These auto trans rigs with a neutral or up shift default make me pucker. When I snap loose and lift, the last thing I want is to go up two gears. Wtf

Last edited:
That’s creative. These auto trans rigs with a neutral or up shift default make me pucker. When I snap loose and lift, the last thing I want is to go up two gears. Wtf

In my younger days, I thought it was fun running Fancy Gap, Hickory Nut Gorge, Mt Eagle, Jelico.
After seeing many go over the mountain side, I decided, I wasn't bullet proof, S. Ga, and Fla was a better trip'
Chains were kinda rare around Charl, until Ryder aquired PIE, when those West Coast tractors came over with chains hanging all over the tractors and dollies.

We had GMCs with hydramatics in 1956, you never knew when one would jump from first to fourth without notice
You always kept a tight pucker string with those.
We kept 2 wrecker companies busy between Char, and Atl.

at my old co. we had a couple of tractors that would pop out of gear while running down the big road . get out the 2x4 with the notch cut out and wedge it against the dash

When Ryder aquired Harris Express, they had an F model with a 2x4 for the same purpose.

In my younger days, I thought it was fun running Fancy Gap, Hickory Nut Gorge, Mt Eagle, Jelico.
After seeing many go over the mountain side, I decided, I wasn't bullet proof, S. Ga, and Fla was a better trip'
Chains were kinda rare around Charl, until Ryder aquired PIE, when those West Coast tractors came over with chains hanging all over the tractors and dollies.

Fancy Gap! I ran that down Rt. 52 while they were finishing the interstate construction.....

Car hauling rig with a screamin’ 238 Detroit.......Real exercise in futility on the two-lane.....Good thing I was mainly going downhill...

Never ran Rt. 52 again after that.......

Fancy Gap! I ran that down Rt. 52 while they were finishing the interstate construction.....

Car hauling rig with a screamin’ 238 Detroit.......Real exercise in futility on the two-lane.....Good thing I was mainly going downhill...

Never ran Rt. 52 again after that.......

You wouldn't recognize the old road now, 4 lane, a lot straighter.
I enjoy drivers bragging about pulling a set down I 77, and think they have been on the gap.
I guess you remember where there were 3 Hennis Freight Lines off the mountain in a short distance.
It was cheaper to leave them there than to recover, thus the name, (Hennis Hole)
Southbound trucks are prohibitted down the gap since they opened the interstate.
Pitty the poor guys that pulled it with a 22 White.

You wouldn't recognize the old road now, 4 lane, a lot straighter.
I enjoy drivers bragging about pulling a set down I 77, and think they have been on the gap.
I guess you remember where there were 3 Hennis Freight Lines off the mountain in a short distance.
It was cheaper to leave them there than to recover, thus the name, (Hennis Hole)
Southbound trucks are prohibitted down the gap since they opened the interstate.
Pitty the poor guys that pulled it with a 22 White.
US 95 in & out of Lewiston ID. I ran that every month rain or snow from 1978 to 1982. Mandatory brake check top of the hill. There were NO run off ramps like now. If you lost it you jumped out before you went off the edge of the pavement. That hill is a killer, but not as bad today as before they re designed & rebuilt the road. You started out in 6th or 7th gear & kept it there. 3 position Jake saved many a life. von.