XPO | Little Stuff...

Highspeeds , did another big bunch of drivers leave for UPS at your barn? Talked to a driver that said he's moved up over 40 , 40 spots! in just the last year or so.

Not UPS. Yet. There are a lot of guys with apps in. And they are hiring again. But the last group left LTL all together. I'd love to know who you spoke to. Maybe in a PM. But I moved up 30 last year myself and a few more already this year. And there are several 20+ year guys with one foot out the door.

I never imagined it would get this bad this quickly. Probably gonna fire the TM again. Maybe one or both of the FOMs. We can't keep anyone. Drivers just keep quitting. And the numbers most be horrible. We are routinely missing pick ups. Some of them are just right here by the terminal. And there are days routes just sit and don't get run because there is no one to run them. It's just a whole bunch of really not good.

Not UPS. Yet. There are a lot of guys with apps in. And they are hiring again. But the last group left LTL all together. I'd love to know who you spoke to. Maybe in a PM. But I moved up 30 last year myself and a few more already this year. And there are several 20+ year guys with one foot out the door.

I never imagined it would get this bad this quickly. Probably gonna fire the TM again. Maybe one or both of the FOMs. We can't keep anyone. Drivers just keep quitting. And the numbers most be horrible. We are routinely missing pick ups. Some of them are just right here by the terminal. And there are days routes just sit and don't get run because there is no one to run them. It's just a whole bunch of really not good.
I hear a lot about how busy our city drivers are. Not enough drivers for the number of runs etc, but never not getting freight delivered or picked up. I think each service center is different. I know many of our city drivers are working 12 hours plus daily. I see them when I get done with my linehaul run in the morning, then see them at night when I come in to work.

I hear a lot about how busy our city drivers are. Not enough drivers for the number of runs etc, but never not getting freight delivered or picked up. I think each service center is different. I know many of our city drivers are working 12 hours plus daily. I see them when I get done with my linehaul run in the morning, then see them at night when I come in to work.

We have been working OT for years. I am usually close to 55 hours a week. It was worse last year. But I backed off my start time to get fewer hours this year. Drivers are fed up. Some just go home when ever they want. Can't afford to fire them. Can't get or keep drivers. The work environment is awful. And there are so many opportunities in Columbus. I got guys blowing up my phone all weekend wanting me to drive their truck with them. Telling me they can pay me more for a 4 day team run with them than I will make all week doing this ::shit::. And there is a lot of freight out there. Jacobs and his team are more worried about blowing a bunch of money on algorithms and sitting around the computer singing songs like a camp fire than they are answering the phone and picking up the freight. That dumbass still hasn't figured out that you ain't gotta reinvent the wheel to make a bunch of money with it. You just gotta get off your ass and go do it. There is money everywhere. Customers are begging for some one to show up and move their freight. Every penny needs a pocket to call home. And the scuttling of Con-way has been nothing short of a blessing for the rest of the LTL industry.

Until XPO totally revamps its business model and business mindset, things are not going to get better. I do understand the monumental task that would be.

It appears to late for that. Whatever his big plans were. They blew up in his face. It's all about salvaging market share and surviving right now. But he doesn't seem interested keeping the customers he has. I guess it's all their fault. And it doesn't make any sense to me how everyone blames losing all this Amazon freight on things. When it sure seems that it doesn't pay anything to haul it. Whatever. We ain't ever going to know the truth about it all anyway.

We have been working OT for years. I am usually close to 55 hours a week. It was worse last year. But I backed off my start time to get fewer hours this year. Drivers are fed up. Some just go home when ever they want. Can't afford to fire them. Can't get or keep drivers. The work environment is awful. And there are so many opportunities in Columbus. I got guys blowing up my phone all weekend wanting me to drive their truck with them. Telling me they can pay me more for a 4 day team run with them than I will make all week doing this :::shit:::. And there is a lot of freight out there. Jacobs and his team are more worried about blowing a bunch of money on algorithms and sitting around the computer singing songs like a camp fire than they are answering the phone and picking up the freight. That dumbass still hasn't figured out that you ain't gotta reinvent the wheel to make a bunch of money with it. You just gotta get off your ass and go do it. There is money everywhere. Customers are begging for some one to show up and move their freight. Every penny needs a pocket to call home. And the scuttling of Con-way has been nothing short of a blessing for the rest of the LTL industry.
What seems foolish is how dockworkers were supposed to free up drivers , yet dockworkers are getting premium PTO and start times AND if dockworkers don't show up for work , drivers have to pick up their slack.

As a driver , it feels as though the company is trying their best to make you leave.

I watch other drivers with less time - I cannot blame them for being pissed off. Peddling all day , then asked to hit the dock ( because dockworkers can't get it done ) but dockworkers are why they can't start earlier.

Linehaul sitting in the break room waiting on trailers to be closed while dockworkers are doing everything but loading and closing trailers.

And management can't and won't do anything because there's a hiring freeze or the numbers are good or management just sucks.

Apologies to dockworkers that work hard and do their job ( wherever you are )
:fingure:to management that allows this stuff to happen. People do what they ate allowed to get away with.

Last edited:
What seems foolish is how dockworkers were supposed to free up drivers , yet dockworkers are getting premium PTO and start times AND if dockworkers don't show up for work , drivers have to pick up their slack.

As a driver , it feels as though the company is trying their best to make you leave.

I watch other drivers with less time - I cannot blame them for being pissed off. Peddling all day , then asked to hit the dock ( because dockworkers can't get it done ) but dockworkers are why they can't start earlier.

Linehaul sitting in the break room waiting on trailers to be closed while dockworkers are doing everything but loading and closing trailers.

And management can't and won't do anything because there's a hiring freeze or the numbers are good or management just sucks.

Apologies to dockworkers that work hard and do their job ( wherever you are )
:fingure:to management that allows this stuff to happen. People do what they ate allowed to get away with.

The mismanagement and/or misuse of dockhands has been a steady gripe for years. Other companies utilize dock help just fine. Why is it that this company cannot figure it out ?

Just a quick question to my feiiow xpo associates 8 months ago we had a driver that was running the inbound for over 2 years. My terminal decided they needed to hire an fos for the morning he suggested that make him the fos. He was told by the regional mgr that company policy dictated that he couldn't do that in order to become an fos he would have to go to xcv to become an fos.he left xpo in Feb just for that reason. Took a morning management position elsewhere. Now we are looking for another fos and they gave it to a different driver from xrn. What happened to company policy

Just a quick question to my feiiow xpo associates 8 months ago we had a driver that was running the inbound for over 2 years. My terminal decided they needed to hire an fos for the morning he suggested that make him the fos. He was told by the regional mgr that company policy dictated that he couldn't do that in order to become an fos he would have to go to xcv to become an fos.he left xpo in Feb just for that reason. Took a morning management position elsewhere. Now we are looking for another fos and they gave it to a different driver from xrn. What happened to company policy
Run and gun policy. They make it up as they go along and modify it to suit their need at the moment. The policy book is not written in stone and says that if you read it. It’s kinda of a guideline but not really.

They tell you in one paragraph that Hollywoods posted earlier that supersedes all policy in legality that they can terminate your employment with or without cause at any time. Certainly leads to feeling secure in our employment even if you walk the line. Driver shortage may make you feel that this would have some bearing on that line of reaso but I would not bank on it. The ERb is a joke , last one I heard of was 2 reagional Mainers and an HR person. Sounds kinda of one sided. Even if your lucky enough to get a driver on the panel it’s more than likely a hand picked pet. Doesn’t really make ya feel any sense of impartiality.

They tell you in one paragraph that Hollywoods posted earlier that supersedes all policy in legality that they can terminate your employment with or without cause at any time. Certainly leads to feeling secure in our employment even if you walk the line. Driver shortage may make you feel that this would have some bearing on that line of reaso but I would not bank on it. The ERb is a joke , last one I heard of was 2 reagional Mainers and an HR person. Sounds kinda of one sided. Even if your lucky enough to get a driver on the panel it’s more than likely a hand picked pet. Doesn’t really make ya feel any sense of impartiality.
Why are you bitching about that CCX and Con-way had the same thing in there policy

This is not an odd thing. I worked at another LTL carrier that there policy that if a driver want to move up management is that they would have to transfer to another barn. The company had a big problem in the past with a conflict of interest with former drivers becoming management and staying at the same barns.

I had a similar problem with that joke ‘EthicsPoint’ when I was at Conway. Long story, but I received a ‘Letter Of Instruction’ from our TM for not being available for work on a Thursday night overnight line run when two months before, I’d asked for that Friday off. His position was that Conway’s shifts extend into the next day. Bull crap!! Filed a ‘complaint’ with EthicsPoint shortly after that. Two weeks later I received an email, NOT...repeat NOT a phone call from the HR ‘guru’ for our region letting me know that the LOI would remain. Clearly a case where union representation would’ve helped.

It only makes sense. Your a driver for 10 years, then you become a fos. Giving your buddies the gravy, and :::shit::: detail to the ones you don’t like.
So a former driver would do this but current management is somehow immune to playing favorites?

People in management are no different than drivers. A driver should be able to move into management at their home barn. We are all grown. If there's a problem of favoritism then the terminal manager or whoever should deal with it.

So a former driver would do this but current management is somehow immune to playing favorites?

People in management are no different than drivers. A driver should be able to move into management at their home barn. We are all grown. If there's a problem of favoritism then the terminal manager or whoever should deal with it.
I can’t count how many dsr’s Turned fos at my place. Some were allowed to return to driving within a year if they wanted, though that policy has changed. No scenery change necessary.

Never said they were.

Never said they were.
I can't imagine why a decent driver would want to go into management with the way things are now , but having a driver become an FOS at their home terminal happens ( and it's the least of the things you have to worry about )

At this point , I just hope the new people have common sense. Honestly. XPO is scraping the bottom of the barrel.