XPO | Little Stuff...

Driving is quickly being downgraded from a career to no more than a job. As long as that continues and drivers don’t stand up for themselves in some way it will become less attractive alternative for newbies. Market pressures alone will not change this course .
I’ve been saying that for years, so I definitely agree with you. There’s very few young guys coming into trucking...especially LTL. Probably a few factors that contribute to this...one being that the career is not what it once was. Couple that with younger people just not wanting to do the work (let’s face it, it’s a tough gig!). When the ‘young-uns’ sign on, they don’t last long! It has become a ‘gray-beards’ only club.

In my 15 years here, I don’t think I’ve ever felt respected by the company. Appreciated, yes, many years ago. But respected as a driver, no. I used to do a lot of training when new programs and equipment came out. I did it because I like to train people and I think I’m good at it. Now, I won’t train a new driver. I offer management an idea I have and that’s the end of the conversation. They don’t need me or my ideas. I come in every night, do my job to the best of my ability and go home. No more, no less. Call me jaded. I guess life has taught me to feel this way.
Agree. I will not train any new driver. This company offers no extra pay for your time and experience. I have my demands that have to be meet before I train anyone.

The whole idea of con way was to keep the union out, that threat is no longer there, so no need to care what the rank and file think.
I think Jerry D saw what the union was doing and did to CF. So his plan was to offer a service that the union carries didn't offer. He also knew what it took to keep the union out.

Last edited:
I’ve been saying that for years, so I definitely agree with you. There’s very few young guys coming into trucking...especially LTL. Probably a few factors that contribute to this...one being that the career is not what it once was. Couple that with younger people just not wanting to do the work (let’s face it, it’s a tough gig!). When the ‘young-uns’ sign on, they don’t last long! It has become a ‘gray-beards’ only club.
What I have seen with the younger drivers at my barn is now they can't afford to leave. The come in start making money and the start buying thing on credit. Buying new trucks, motorcycles, and even house have debt up to there eyeballs. Now there stuck here since they can't even afford to take the pay cut to go to a union shop.

What I have seen with the younger drivers at my barn is now they can't afford to leave. The come in start making money and the start buying thing on credit. Buying new trucks, motorcycles, and even house have debt up to there eyeballs. Now there stuck here since they can't even afford to take the pay cut to go to a union shop.
I suppose that depends on the carrier. When I left Conway for ABF, I took a ‘cut’ of 38 cents per hour, and a ‘deduction’ of $60/month in dues. What I gained was company-paid medical/dental/vision care for the entire family, and $7.82/hour worked (capped at 2080 hours/year) into my pension plan. I could’ve been wrong, but I thought it was worth it.

I suppose that depends on the carrier. When I left Conway for ABF, I took a ‘cut’ of 38 cents per hour, and a ‘deduction’ of $60/month in dues. What I gained was company-paid medical/dental/vision care for the entire family, and $7.82/hour worked (capped at 2080 hours/year) into my pension plan. I could’ve been wrong, but I thought it was worth it.

It depends on the individual. These guys can't handle finances. As soon as they get a couple bucks they blow it.

Yes that's because you looked at the long term. These guy are only looking from one paycheck to the next

Yes that's because you looked at the long term. These guy are only looking from one paycheck to the next
Amen, brother! That concept has been lost on this new generation of workers...not all, to be fair, but some! It’s the ‘what-can-I-have-NOW’ attitude that gets people in trouble.

Hope you’re healthy, Brother Fly! Did I PM you with my cell?

As long as that pension is there when you do retire.
Keep hoping, to me hope is not a strategy. I need a solid plan.....
The Teamsters pension plan in my area is in bad shape, why would I want to take a chance on it for my retirement. I'd rather take my chances with a 401k. I know there's risk there but at least I have control of it. I have no control on a pension, you get whatever they want to give you

The Teamsters pension plan in my area is in bad shape, why would I want to take a chance on it for my retirement. I'd rather take my chances with a 401k. I know there's risk there but at least I have control of it. I have no control on a pension, you get whatever they want to give you
Because and let me make this perfectly clear . NO ONE IS GETTING INTO A FAILING MULTI EMPLOYER PENSION FUND ( example: Central States). I REPEAT NO ONE IS ENTERING A FAILING MULTI EMPLOYER PLAN. There is many types of retirement plans that can be negotiated. Anything from 401K’s to traditional single employer plans is an option. Teamster are not looking for money from new members to bailout any pension plan . It is not allowed by federal law.
It’s the biggest misconception and talking point put out there by companies and persuaders that work for them.

Because and let me make this perfectly clear . NO ONE IS GETTING INTO A FAILING MULTI EMPLOYER PENSION FUND ( example: Central States). I REPEAT NO ONE IS ENTERING A FAILING MULTI EMPLOYER PLAN. There is many types of retirement plans that can be negotiated. Anything from 401K’s to traditional single employer plans is an option. Teamster are not looking for money from new members to bailout any pension plan . It is not allowed by federal law.
It’s the biggest misconception and talking point put out there by companies and persuaders that work for them.
Why would anyone take a chance on a newly formed single employer plan with the chance of Xpo going out of business? We already have a 401k so I'm still trying to see the advantages of a union with my retirement.

Why would anyone take a chance on a newly formed single employer plan with the chance of Xpo going out of business? We already have a 401k so I'm still trying to see the advantages of a union with my retirement.
I don’t think that a single employer plan is even on the table . I would imagine it would more likely be a enhanced 401k .

Last statement I received the old Con-way pension is still 125% funded . Not all pension, even Teamsters pension are in Trouble. As a matter of fact the Pension in my area for the Teamsters is doing very well as are others. Yes , there are some out of many that are well underfunded to marginal . I’m not advocating pension are the way to go at all . Just want to make it clear that everyone of them is not failing .

Last edited:
No they just want the taxpayer to bail them out
When I retired I had the frozen Con-Way pension, social security, and my 401K, which I rolled over to an IRA. Most importantly, I was (and am) debt free. Now, even with the economy in the dumpster, I'm livin' the dream.
its nice to have that third leg of the stool (Conway pension ) as little as it may be it’s nice to have.

Great move driver !

You can join ANY Teamsters Pension Plan in the United States. You won’t be ‘locked in’ to the CSPF just because you live in say...Nebraska. There are 29 states in the Western Conference Plan, so upon ratification of a new CBA, the choice would be yours as to which plan you enter. The Western Conference Plan is 92% funded at this juncture. That’s incredible! I can understand how XPO would want to pull the wool over your eyes by saying: “We don’t want to put your retirement money into a failing plan.” You counter that by saying: “Nice try, Brad. But we’ll choose the Western Conference Plan which clearly ISN’T failing. At a 92% funding level, the Plan is clearly in the ‘Green Zone’ so your argument is invalid.”

https://www.wctpension.org/