XPO | load factor

Where do you find the time to re-work trailers?

Every passing load that comes in under 16K gets opened up.I would say about 75% of these trailers we cannot do anything with.Last Thursday 4 loads came as hooked sets passing thru and guess what?These 4 were combined into 2 with room to spare.Funny thing is both of these trailers came a long way through numerous terminals and no one bothered to see if loads could be consolidated.Sometimes I wonder if our little place is the only one looking at these light trailers.Must be nice to just floor them out so your run doesn't get cut.I think some terminals get to pick and choose what they do.

Just really curious on where you have time to open up and combine loads, and is it worth it or even justifed? I know that many times we struggle between load factor and getting trailers closed up and sent down the road. as P&D comes back in, outbound gets loaded and there are times when we have to cut one or two loose to make re-ship on time.
I understand that every area and terminal has different levels of i/b o/b, and freight characterisitics vary as well. If it is faster to floor load 4 trailers and make it on time, does that make more sense. I know we need to cut linehaul runs and save money, but I've seen this visious circle before. Cut runs, cram and jam, con-way crunch...., late to re-ship, late to leave, freight is damaged and misses service any way, customers are pissed.....who wins? vs/ load another trailer, :hide: numbers? inexperienced FOS's are having numbers:chairshot: hammered into their brains, and are not shown the big picture. whatever happened to the cirlce of life?
It is my opinion that the drivers experience should prevail over any pencil pushers idea. If this company would offer more pay for an FOS position, some(seasoned) drivers might take an FOS job, and we'd solve a few problems. (I said a few here, not all)

taxes figured in many states by axles not mtys. 5 axle assumed at 80,000lbs when you pull a long box the tax code is 12 a set is 05 just more company b/s . if they would spend more time not screwing up the runs and creating via,s we would save more money than cutting runs and trashing freight. if you send 1 more dsr(a bottom feeder)you can turn the high priced top dsr and save with less damage

Just My 2 Cents...

Load Factor, Currently it is based soley on weight of freight. So using that theory a 1 bill 26,000LB load going from Ohio to Texas is better than a 20 bill 10,000LB trailer going the same route.

My thoughts would be that Load factor SHOULD be: Based on total Cube AND Revenue of the trailer. Now using that system the 10,000LB trailer would be the better load because, 1 it's 20 revenue generating Pros instead of 1, It is likely cubed out at 75% or higher, AND It's freight in a higher NMFC Class meaning we charge more for it which means more $$$...

Personally I would love to see a "Load Factor" calculation based on Revenue/Cube per SCHEDULE, not just weight per trailer...

Just my thoughts...

MG

Just My 2 Cents...

Load Factor, Currently it is based soley on weight of freight. So using that theory a 1 bill 26,000LB load going from Ohio to Texas is better than a 20 bill 10,000LB trailer going the same route.

My thoughts would be that Load factor SHOULD be: Based on total Cube AND Revenue of the trailer. Now using that system the 10,000LB trailer would be the better load because, 1 it's 20 revenue generating Pros instead of 1, It is likely cubed out at 75% or higher, AND It's freight in a higher NMFC Class meaning we charge more for it which means more $$$...

Personally I would love to see a "Load Factor" calculation based on Revenue/Cube per SCHEDULE, not just weight per trailer...

Just my thoughts...

MG

This is all true but they figure that their DSR's and low level managers are too stupid to make these kind of calculations while they're pressing and stressing to get the trailers loaded on time.It's easier to just tell them to cram as much as they can into every trailer.Kind of like trained gorillas.Which is pretty much how they see us anyway. :funky: