TForce | Loading city trailers

ibamars

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok so I have been at UPSF for almost 3 years. I have to say we have the stupidest dock workers on the face of this earth. Do you guys have problems with them just putting freight on the trailer out of sequence for your area?

Here's what I mean. So I have 11 stops. My first stop is right down the road. got to be there by 11am. Cool no problem its on the tail. I look at bills and my next stop should be right across the street but I cant get to the freight because they decide to put it in the nose of the trailer. I am not digging it out so I go to the other side of town which is 15 minutes away. I have 7 stops all within 5 minutes of each other. guess what, I cant do them all because they have 2 of the stops that I can get off but then my next stop loaded is 20 minutes away.

So loading freight is a major issue. I had to go out and get a second job due to my hours got cut. So I decided to get a casual job at Land Air. I go in to work at 8am when I work for them. I get my bills and I get a load sheet. Guess what. Every time I have worked for them my trailer is loaded properly. one day I ended up with 22 stops between PU and Del and I was done by5pm. I didn't have to go out of my way back and forth across towns because they loaded it properly.

So, do you guys have problems with them loading freight properly? I think its kind of stupid to have 13 stops between PU and Del and have it take me 9 hours to get done. Oh and only drove 66 miles total for the day. It probably would have been less if I didn't have to keep going back and forth across towns.

So I told my dispatcher about it. I get a shrug of the shoulders. Ok, so now I run it like its loaded and if something gets missed. oh well. Its not just my trailer it is others too.

Conclusion, do you guys have these problems at your terminal and if so have they been addressed. If they were fixed could you shed some light.

we have this problem too, now that they have this left, right , rear thing, i thought this would help things, but it seems like its the same case scenario, alot of times most of the bills will say tail, so the guys will load everything on the right side of the trailer, and then what happens?, everything gets pushed up! we get some of the most sh***iest freight on the planet, and that dont help matters, so i dont things will ever change any time soon. I've been with them for 3 years and its been going on since i been here.

Unless you have a loader for your trailer that knows the area as good as the driver(some terminals I understand don't use specific loaders) its going to be a mess. The loading plan that is printed out is pretty much worthless as far as accuracy. It needed to be scraped 12 years ago.
What's crazy is regional managers, etc., say go by it when they make their vists. They have no idea.

Who does the routing? The lead dock guy or the Dispatcher. Tiger you are correct on that. I have done runs filling in for guys on vacation and noticed that their trailers are loaded ok, not perfect but just ok. But like i said when I drive for Land Air its perfect...Which makes me not understand how a little company like that can get it right but a company as big as UPS can get the basics down.

...well take a picture of the freight as you take it off..if ever there is a question show them...but I would mention it to the outbound sup..its his arse also on the line...stupidity hurts us all...but hey work safe...trust me once you show how the freight was mis loaded,things will change quick....time is money...and Brown is all about that bottom line.....

Again another example of book smart over street smart. No wonder they havent got a raise in 2 years. :iamnotworthy:

Do ya'll have a pallet jack? Get your 1st 2 or 3 stops on the rear loaded correctly and delivered then you should be able to "work" the rest of your trailer to get all of your freight off and pickups made. :thumbsup:

[quote author=ibamars link=topic=79570.msg824521#msg824521 date=1272204423]
Ok so I have been at UPSF for almost 3 years. I have to say we have the stupidest dock workers on the face of this earth. Do you guys have problems with them just putting freight on the trailer out of sequence for your area?

Here's what I mean. So I have 11 stops. My first stop is right down the road. got to be there by 11am. Cool no problem its on the tail. I look at bills and my next stop should be right across the street but I cant get to the freight because they decide to put it in the nose of the trailer. I am not digging it out so I go to the other side of town which is 15 minutes away. I have 7 stops all within 5 minutes of each other. guess what, I cant do them all because they have 2 of the stops that I can get off but then my next stop loaded is 20 minutes away.

So loading freight is a major issue. I had to go out and get a second job due to my hours got cut. So I decided to get a casual job at Land Air. I go in to work at 8am when I work for them. I get my bills and I get a load sheet. Guess what. Every time I have worked for them my trailer is loaded properly. one day I ended up with 22 stops between PU and Del and I was done by5pm. I didn't have to go out of my way back and forth across towns because they loaded it properly.

So, do you guys have problems with them loading freight properly? I think its kind of stupid to have 13 stops between PU and Del and have it take me 9 hours to get done. Oh and only drove 66 miles total for the day. It probably would have been less if I didn't have to keep going back and forth across towns.

So I told my dispatcher about it. I get a shrug of the shoulders. Ok, so now I run it like its loaded and if something gets missed. oh well. Its not just my trailer it is others too.

Conclusion, do you guys have these problems at your terminal and if so have they been addressed. If they were fixed could you shed some light.
[/quote]

We have the same problem here. The supervisors don't communicate to each other and the dock workers don't care. The a-b-c-d-e-f-z system really doesn't work. Why??? No one uses it. I have talked to the sup. and have been told," you have a pallet jack.." It's just frustrating...

I delivered the freight the way they loaded it. Needless to say they started loading it the correct way!!! :kicking:

[quote author=Johnny Big Rig link=topic=79570.msg824669#msg824669 date=1272234739]
Do ya'll have a pallet jack? Get your 1st 2 or 3 stops on the rear loaded correctly and delivered then you should be able to "work" the rest of your trailer to get all of your freight off and pickups made. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yeah that works sometimes. You can't do it when you have 13 stops on a pup!!!

[quote author=Johnny Big Rig link=topic=79570.msg824669#msg824669 date=1272234739]
[/quote]

We have a driver that reloads his trailer everyday because of this problem, he runs a 48 foot trailer and finds freight across the street from each other on the tail and in the nose of his trailer. He got pulled into management a couple weeks ago because of this, he just told him that he can either service the customer or not, after showing him the loaded trailer, they have started to half load his trailer and let him do the rest now.

I ran his route one day last week while he was off, I just looked at the load, looked at the dispatch and told him I dont have time to reload this crap, and got as much freight as I could get off. I had one bringback.

[quote author=ibamars link=topic=79570.msg824521#msg824521 date=1272204423]

[/quote]

i worked inbound for about 2 years and ill tell you what the problem is.....me and the few other guys who decided to stick around that long know where particular shipments need to go on specific pedal routes, we know for the most part what a drivers first stop last stop is and roughly whats in between

the problem is that our turnover is so crazy at any given time half the guys loading these trailers are new....then they quit, and another group of new guys come in.....they dont know what they are doing, they dont know the area or the routes

the leadmen flag the bills, and the drivers complain about them putting things in the wrong order all the time

the only way this could be resolved is to have some kind of sheets for each particular pedal route that has all the accounts that pedal covers, there appointment/closing times, and where they are located....for example if a guy is running up north of the city, it would say if the account is on the south end of his route, so you would put that on the rear because he would be going to those accounts first pending the appointment times/dock setups and all that

but it will never happen....sneak a forklift onto the back of your city trailer before you close it up so you can rework the trailer at your first stop :thumbsup:

At yor, we used to have city runs, were you had only the city with 3 or 4 zip codes. Some smart engineer came in and changed it to running zip cades only. So instead of having one driver deliver frt in 3 or 4 zip codes, now we have 4 drivers delivering in 3 or 4 zip codes. One driver could be delivering on one street, and another driver delivering just across the street from him. Then the wonder why our operating ratio went for 89 to 1.09. Guess truck drivers arn't smart enough to figure this out. It takes a college degree.

[quote author=poolus52 link=topic=79570.msg825375#msg825375 date=1272481766]
At yor, we used to have city runs, were you had only the city with 3 or 4 zip codes. Some smart engineer came in and changed it to running zip cades only. So instead of having one driver deliver frt in 3 or 4 zip codes, now we have 4 drivers delivering in 3 or 4 zip codes. One driver could be delivering on one street, and another driver delivering just across the street from him. Then the wonder why our operating ratio went for 89 to 1.09. Guess truck drivers arn't smart enough to figure this out. It takes a college degree.
[/quote]

our drivers aren't smart either i guess. the TM wants us all to text him when we get finished so he can tell us how to get back to the barn. if we fail to follow his directions he writes us up for stealing company time. its doens't matter if we have been doing the run for years and know the quickest way home, or traffic and construction issues, its his way or the highway. the t.m. has had every driver file harrasment grievences against him, and nothing happens. im thinking of calling to find out how to wipe my ass.