TForce | Loading city trailers

That's the problem with part-timers. Cheap labor. Run bills per hour or get fired. Lead men can't babysit everyone or every trailer. UPS WAY=CHEAP LABOR=DAMAGED FREIGHT=LOOSING CUSTOMERS good thing package side carries the ltl side financially

[quote author=poolus52 link=topic=79570.msg825375#msg825375 date=1272481766]
At yor, we used to have city runs, were you had only the city with 3 or 4 zip codes. Some smart engineer came in and changed it to running zip cades only. So instead of having one driver deliver frt in 3 or 4 zip codes, now we have 4 drivers delivering in 3 or 4 zip codes. One driver could be delivering on one street, and another driver delivering just across the street from him. Then the wonder why our operating ratio went for 89 to 1.09. Guess truck drivers arn't smart enough to figure this out. It takes a college degree.
[/quote]

UPS freight has always felt information they pay a engineer for is certainly better than advice they recieve for free.
Its like the emperor's new clothes story you heard as a child.
One screwed up our dock layout bad, lower supervision agreed at the time but all are afriad to say so or alter the new layout.

I've loaded myself many times and had to move stuff around halfway thru the route. Of course, I cussed the dockworker that did it.

You know in all honesty I don't blame the dockworkers entirely. I blame management for not improving on how efficient we are supposed to be. UPS is a huge compnay as we all know. But I still find it amazing something as simple as routing bills efficiently to maximize productivity is not on their list.

Guys;

I was talkin bout me. myself and 1 other damn good man load all inbound in our small barn. now, its only 5-8 route a day, but we do it all. We're talkin 60 to 100 bills a day dependin on the day. We still have some drivers complain about the 6-7 stops we loaded. it is the nature of the beast. sometimes we do booger it up a little maybe have 2 stops out of order. i will say we dont screw these guys around willfully. that would be silly.i have heard about barns that load trailers by paper only. it helps that we know almost every stop we load....when they close....when they go to lunch...etc. if i were in a bigger barn i would not have that luxury and would have to load according to depl.

So a quick update. Two of our driver this week has been having numerous problems with their trailers being loaded properly. They both have runs which go way out of the way. So all week I have been doing extra work for the one driver due to all the freight would not fit on his trailer. So Friday both their trailers were loaded completely wrong and backwards. I ended up having to help both drivers with pick ups. Guess what time all of us got back Friday night to the terminal? 8pm!!!! We all left the terminal at 9:30 or 10:00am to start the runs. Mileage driven after all said and done 203 miles.. Thanks for the OT UPS!!!

Only 203 miles???

I routinely put on well over 300 miles a day,...And have been as high as 471 in one day on a city p/d run,.....

[quote author=walleye link=topic=79570.msg828347#msg828347 date=1273418852]
Only 203 miles???

I routinely put on well over 300 miles a day,...And have been as high as 471 in one day on a city p/d run,.....
[/quote]

How many stops do you get on that run? OMG!!! That must be an out in the country run. We have a guy who does that also 2x a week. I think he gets like 300 or so when he does it.

When I run my "my normal" route, 3-4 times a week, I usually run 200 miles a day, with 12-14 deliveries and 1-3 p/ups a day. I have a lot of residentials on that route.

[quote author=ibamars link=topic=79570.msg828446#msg828446 date=1273441862]
[quote author=walleye link=topic=79570.msg828347#msg828347 date=1273418852]
Only 203 miles???

[/quote]

How many stops do you get on that run? OMG!!! That must be an out in the country run. We have a guy who does that also 2x a week. I think he gets like 300 or so when he does it.
[/quote]

6 to 10 deliveries and 4 to 6 pickups would be about average,..........Definitely a country run,...I fight traffic on 2 lane almost all day,....

[quote author=Skeeter link=topic=79570.msg824525#msg824525 date=1272205288]
How can that be. Say it isn't so. UPS is the best ran company in the nation. :biglaugh:
[/quote]

I gave up and run it the way it's loaded. I was told that that's what the pallet jack is for. I said,sure if only the pallets were all standard size instead the oddballs and thin skids you can't get under.

[quote author=ibamars link=topic=79570.msg824521#msg824521 date=1272204423]

So loading freight is a major issue. I had to go out and get a second job due to my hours got cut. So I decided to get a casual job at Land Air. I go in to work at 8am when I work for them. I get my bills and I get a load sheet. Guess what. Every time I have worked for them my trailer is loaded properly. one day I ended up with 22 stops between PU and Del and I was done by5pm. I didn't have to go out of my way back and forth across towns because they loaded it properly.

So, do you guys have problems with them loading freight properly? I think its kind of stupid to have 13 stops between PU and Del and have it take me 9 hours to get done. Oh and only drove 66 miles total for the day. It probably would have been less if I didn't have to keep going back and forth across towns.

[/quote]

You had to get a part time job because your hours were cut, but you complain that it takes 9 hours to get your freight delivered because it is loaded poorly. Nine hours a day is pretty good money.

I have gone to the same customer three times in one day because they loaded a skid on the rear, one in the middle and one in the nose. If they didn't care to put the stops together, I took their money. This job can be really easy.

This is UPS and they know it all. They don't want you to question their directions.....(work as directed) It does not matter how foolish and how much time and money you think you can save them, do it the way they want......drive around in circles all day long and don't ask questions. Just smile all the way to the bank. Remember, you are just a number and you don't know any better. :biglaugh:

[quote author=BusterNite link=topic=79570.msg840605#msg840605 date=1277552398]
This is UPS and they know it all. They don't want you to question their directions.....(work as directed) It does not matter how foolish and how much time and money you think you can save them, do it the way they want......drive around in circles all day long and don't ask questions. Just smile all the way to the bank. Remember, you are just a number and you don't know any better. :biglaugh:
[/quote]

Doing exactly what the company says usually upsets them in the end. They think guys will do it the best way to get the job done. Breaking the rules gives them the power to discipline. Follow the rules exactly and let them deal with it.