XPO | Loading Dock Campers

Fly-by-night

Only when you care to send the very best
Credits
Has anyone else be a victim of a loading dock camper. The loading dock camper is the driver that does all his computer work and other things while still in the dock door knowing you are waiting to back in. Some companies have one door for the LTL carriers and some have only one door. My latest encounter was with a Fed-Ex freight driver. I was at a pickup and they only have one door that is for LTL carries and Fed-Ex was in the door. I went inside and pro'd my freight and went back out to wait for him to leave. He knew I was there. When he came out and got into his truck I pulled up to get ready to back in. He even looked at me. He got into his truck and started to do all his paperwork. I hit the horn and he just looked at me and went back to doing what he was doing. I would understand that if there was no place for him to park and do his paperwork, but this place has a huge lot. I know one thing I will never be in a rush to move for any Fed-Ex freight driver ever again.
Just wanted to know if anyone else had a run in like this.

Because 1 FedExer was a jerk you are going to be a jerk to every one that comes across your path for now on? Some people are just aholes, that doesn't mean you need to be one. Be a professional driver and and move so the next driver can get up to the dock. Just saying driver...

Yeah, I had one. A smaller local/regional carrier driver saw me pull up. He had just gotten back in the truck. He sat there for at least five minutes screwing around with his paperwork and computer. They have a huge area where he could have pulled up to let me get into the door, which had he done, I would've been gone from there before he was. I am not a real confrontational person, and I don't want to make the company look bad, so I just waited, staring at him the whole time. He finally left! About half an hour later, I am just finishing up at another stop with only one dock an guess who comes rolling in. I opened the door, saw him, and turned back around to go use the restroom. I was in no big hurry to get out of the way for that clown. But most of their guys are pretty good so I wouldn't hold a grudge against their whole company, and I think this one driver got the hint that day.

Has anyone else be a victim of a loading dock camper. The loading dock camper is the driver that does all his computer work and other things while still in the dock door knowing you are waiting to back in. Some companies have one door for the LTL carriers and some have only one door. My latest encounter was with a Fed-Ex freight driver. I was at a pickup and they only have one door that is for LTL carries and Fed-Ex was in the door. I went inside and pro'd my freight and went back out to wait for him to leave. He knew I was there. When he came out and got into his truck I pulled up to get ready to back in. He even looked at me. He got into his truck and started to do all his paperwork. I hit the horn and he just looked at me and went back to doing what he was doing. I would understand that if there was no place for him to park and do his paperwork, but this place has a huge lot. I know one thing I will never be in a rush to move for any Fed-Ex freight driver ever again.
Run in to it probably once or twice a week. Been that way for all my 40 plus years in the business. Have never confronted anyone about. What is that saying??? Can't fix stupid? Although I usually never forget a face or company he works for either...

Here's what I'd do: 1) If you're in a hurry,(for whatever reason, lots of other early closing pic, deliveries, etc.), go up to the other driver and ask him how long he's gonna be. If he says 15 minutes or more, move on to another stop if
close by. 2) If you're not in a hurry, relax, check your cell for any new truckingboard posts and just chill out. Remember you're getting paid by the hour. Oh by the way...make sure that you text dispatch and advise them that you are being delayed by another truck that is ahead of you. Tell them that you'll keep them updated every 10-15 minutes that you are further delayed. P&D can be a very stressful job at times, but do everything that you can to relieve that stress. Sure beats getting all flustered and upset at other inconsiderate nitwit drivers. :1036316054:

Here's what I'd do: 1) If you're in a hurry,(for whatever reason, lots of other early closing pic, deliveries, etc.), go up to the other driver and ask him how long he's gonna be. If he says 15 minutes or more, move on to another stop if
close by. 2) If you're not in a hurry, relax, check your cell for any new truckingboard posts and just chill out. Remember you're getting paid by the hour. Oh by the way...make sure that you text dispatch and advise them that you are being delayed by another truck that is ahead of you. Tell them that you'll keep them updated every 10-15 minutes that you are further delayed. P&D can be a very stressful job at times, but do everything that you can to relieve that stress. Sure beats getting all flustered and upset at other inconsiderate nitwit drivers. :1036316054:
Or........ I guess if you are having a real crappy day anyway... Pull your truck up cross way in front of his, as long as it does not obstruct other traffic,lock your doors and take your lunch in the breakroom where you are at.

Because 1 FedExer was a jerk you are going to be a jerk to every one that comes across your path for now on? Some people are just aholes, that doesn't mean you need to be one. Be a professional driver and and move so the next driver can get up to the dock. Just saying driver...
missed typed it should have said 'that FedEx freight driver:busted:

Or........ I guess if you are having a real crappy day anyway... Pull your truck up cross way in front of his, as long as it does not obstruct other traffic,lock your doors and take your lunch in the breakroom where you are at.
Year ago I saw a UPS package driver slide in behind a LTL driver that was waiting on that door. The LTL driver backed his truck in front of the UPS truck and with drop trailers on either side the LTL driver lock everything up and went to lunch

In that situation I don't even deal with the driver. I just go in to the customer and let them know that I'm waiting. If the customer won't get them out of my way, then I'll just kick back and enjoy the tunes for a few minutes. If I can't wait, I'll leave.

There used to be a UPS Small Package driver in one area who was notorious for sliding in a different entrance to beat us to the door, slither in right under our noses and back in before we could get there, etc. You get the picture. Well...we all had enough of his antics and started screwing with him. As for me I put a large wheel chock under his tire when he wasn't looking one time and blocked him in there another and went to the bathroom for 15 minutes. The receivers ate it up, they don't like those stunts either. I don't know what area he's running now but he's not in that one anymore.

There used to be a UPS Small Package driver in one area who was notorious for sliding in a different entrance to beat us to the door, slither in right under our noses and back in before we could get there, etc. You get the picture. Well...we all had enough of his antics and started screwing with him. As for me I put a large wheel chock under his tire when he wasn't looking one time and blocked him in there another and went to the bathroom for 15 minutes. The receivers ate it up, they don't like those stunts either. I don't know what area he's running now but he's not in that one anymore.

Lmao... I did that to one of those bastards a few years ago. Put a wheel chock about 6 feet in front of his drive tire and then blocked him in and went to the bathroom. Came back 10 minutes later and he was screaming bloody murder at me. Told him to knock off the BS or it would be much longer than 10 minutes next time. He was so pissed off that once I moved, he floored it and when his tire hit that chock it flung the rear of the truck about 2 feet in the air and all the packages on the shelves inside ended up all over the floor.

Needless to say he never cut in front of me again...

There used to be a UPS Small Package driver in one area who was notorious for sliding in a different entrance to beat us to the door, slither in right under our noses and back in before we could get there, etc. You get the picture

Some of the older drivers at my barn have told me that, back in the day, you could get your ass kicked for pulling crap like that..

This isn't a situation unique to city work. Happens in the truck stops quite a bit too. Had a guy go screaming by me one time as I was turning in a parking lot just so he could park close to the door because he knew the A-trains always used those spots. So I pulled up next to him, left him with the choice of backing up or waiting for me. Another LTL pulled in behind him, so he was stuck. Me and the other guy? We both got lunch. You could almost see the steam coming out of his ears when I came out 15 minutes later. Never happened again.

Happens ever day with multiple carriers, mostly younger drivers that dont know any better. I just slide the seat back & turn the a/c up another notch....Someone will eventually confront him/them about it....

Happens ever day with multiple carriers, mostly younger drivers that dont know any better. I just slide the seat back & turn the a/c up another notch....Someone will eventually confront him/them about it....
I have found one thing about us freight guys...we have time and we are opportunists and when the opportunity arises most of us will make the best of it.