XPO | loading P/D vans

Bloodwidow

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok I am wondering if anyone else has said something to Inbound FOS that their van was nose heavy. I've had it happen three time so far, and it is getting worse. This last time I told him I wasn't going to pull it. I got a story that he keeps tell crew to watch how the load but some of the crew told me their just load to manifest.

Ok I am wondering if anyone else has said something to Inbound FOS that their van was nose heavy. I've had it happen three time so far, and it is getting worse. This last time I told him I wasn't going to pull it. I got a story that he keeps tell crew to watch how the load but some of the crew told me their just load to manifest.

Ask your FOS if you can grab a fork truck and rework your load before you leave on your route. If he refuses, tell him that the fine is on him when you get weighed at a DOT roadside inspection.

Ask your FOS if you can grab a fork truck and rework your load before you leave on your route. If he refuses, tell him that the fine is on him when you get weighed at a DOT roadside inspection.
That's the wrong thing to tell him. He reworks it or let's it sit. All tickets have the driver name on it and go on the driver's driving record. Some FOS don't care and would say OK and when you got an over weight ticket it still will be ALL you fault no matter when the FOS said.

Always remember you are the captain of your ship. The company may own the truck and trailer but in the eyes of the law you are the one they will ticket, fine and put out of service,not your FOS. You rework the trailer and if the give you ::shit:: about it you walk in the office and call the safety dept. In all my years of driving I have never gotten a ticket with my boss name on it it was always my name and the offense went on my record.

That's the wrong thing to tell him. He reworks it or let's it sit. All tickets have the driver name on it and go on the driver's driving record. Some FOS don't care and would say OK and when you got an over weight ticket it still will be ALL you fault no matter when the FOS said.

You're absolutely right FBN. No matter what you do wrong for this company...it's always the driver's fault. What was I thinking when I posted what I did? I guess I'm just so excited to be on a 3 day holiday break...the excitement must have clouded my thinking.

Always remember you are the captain of your ship. The company may own the truck and trailer but in the eyes of the law you are the one they will ticket, fine and put out of service,not your FOS. You rework the trailer and if the give you :::shit::: about it you walk in the office and call the safety dept. In all my years of driving I have never gotten a ticket with my boss name on it it was always my name and the offense went on my record.
You are right on Fly. I still hear guys at our place say, I didn't load it, so it is not my problem. Well, you just made it your problem when you leave the terminal or shippers property and are on public roads.. You just said your vehicle is street legal...

I rework my loads all the time. You have guys loading things in a way that is near impossible to unload, or in your case, wouldn't scale, you're in the right to fix it. Safety first!

This last time I had them rework it. Time before last I said rework it or give me the twin screw. I posted this because I was curious if any else notices if they load too much weight in first half of van and still not be at max weight

If your load is bad or illegal, show the supervisor why, then ask to fix it. And if they won't let you, go to the next level of authority. Rework your load enough times (for legitimate reasons) and they will start to take it seriously. If you take the load as is, you are taking responsibility for it.
And don't whine if you have issues later.

Northern I catch before I hit the dock and say something. I get the" I tell them till I'm blue in the face". I've said something to Safet Superviser twice. Told Safey that take the hit and get scaled and but out of service to make them do something.

It's really simple to me. Make the load legal and/or safe, or I wouldn't pull it. It's your record not theirs. And if your sup. was any good, he/she would and could fix the problem. If they can't or won't, they have no business being in a supervisory role. When you have to fix the load and it hurts their numbers, you will be surprised how things will get fixed.
And if you catch any crap over fixing it yourself, take the issue to a higher level since you tried to keep in in house and they refused to fix it.

Side note: Nowadays companies are asking job applicants if they have failed inspections or DOT violations to report. And these violations will count against you if you ever go looking for another job.

It's really simple to me. Make the load legal and/or safe, or I wouldn't pull it. It's your record not theirs. And if your sup. was any good, he/she would and could fix the problem. If they can't or won't, they have no business being in a supervisory role. When you have to fix the load and it hurts their numbers, you will be surprised how things will get fixed.
And if you catch any crap over fixing it yourself, take the issue to a higher level since you tried to keep in in house and they refused to fix it.

Side note: Nowadays companies are asking job applicants if they have failed inspections or DOT violations to report. And these violations will count against you if you ever go looking for another job.
Good to know that last bit

Flash your putting this driver in a tight spot. This driver is an employee at will . They can tell him to go home and not come back . One of the reasons the companies like being nonunion it gives the the flexibility to manipulate its workers . Talking back to management is an exultant way of being showed the door .The longer a driver is with the company and starts to accumulate more benefits vacation etc puts a target on is back .They look for ways to get rid of seniority employees .

Flash your putting this driver in a tight spot. This driver is an employee at will . They can tell him to go home and not come back . One of the reasons the companies like being nonunion it gives the the flexibility to manipulate its workers . Talking back to management is an exultant way of being showed the door .The longer a driver is with the company and starts to accumulate more benefits vacation etc puts a target on is back .They look for ways to get rid of seniority employees .
You don't know what your talking about. I am a veteran employee with lots of vacation, top scale, higher company 401k contributions etc with a big mouth. If it isn't right then its not right and I have never been afraid to tell anyone and everyone my thoughts and have never been threatend or felt as though I had a target on my back. In fact, I have always felt encouragement to speak up and many junior drivers who have don't feel comfortable speaking up will tell me the issue so that I can tell management whats up. I am not alone in my terminal, there are drivers with even more seniority than me that constantly complain to management and we are still working. How do you explain that?

I been here 22 years, I've refused or reworked many a trailer due to weight or . mechanical issues. I've never had an issue or felt like my job was on the line. As a matter of fact a SCM used fowl language with me one time. I told him not to use that language on me, I would talk to him when he was ready to act professional. He apologized and we never had an issue again. Take your propaganda somewhere else

Putting anyone in a tight spot was certainly not my intent. For myself, no job has ever been so important to me that I will tolerate abuse or forcing me to break the law. I would move on first.....as I throw the abuser under the bus.

I been here 22 years, I've refused or reworked many a trailer due to weight or . mechanical issues. I've never had an issue or felt like my job was on the line. As a matter of fact a SCM used fowl language with me one time. I told him not to use that language on me, I would talk to him when he was ready to act professional. He apologized and we never had an issue again. Take your propaganda somewhere else
Have you ever had a trailer ready to go and it had a flat tire? It sucks but you know what you have to do..... Or , trailer is loaded ready to go and you have an appointment or a company about to go to lunch that you are trying to get to and you go to pull the door down and it's a bad door? You know what you have to do...Overweight in the nose , you know what you have to do.

Get in a wreck with some type of violation of the rules and regs and the company ANY company union or non union knows what they have to do: drop you like a hot rock.

You don't know what your talking about. I am a veteran employee with lots of vacation, top scale, higher company 401k contributions etc with a big mouth. If it isn't right then its not right and I have never been afraid to tell anyone and everyone my thoughts and have never been threatend or felt as though I had a target on my back. In fact, I have always felt encouragement to speak up and many junior drivers who have don't feel comfortable speaking up will tell me the issue so that I can tell management whats up. I am not alone in my terminal, there are drivers with even more seniority than me that constantly complain to management and we are still working. How do you explain that?
Good and I hope you will square off with management when necessary . Point is you have no protection of being let go if your manager so desires ,you are employee at will .Hope it don't happens but it does everyday .

Last edited:
Good and I hope you will square off with management when necessary . Point is you have no protection of being let go if your manager so desires ,you are employee at will .Hope it don't happens but it does everyday .
From my own experience at my terminal, you have got to work really, really hard at getting fired to actually get fired. Speaking up about legitimate issues such as an overweight trailer will NOT get you in any trouble. As long as you are respectful when speaking to management, you can tell them just about anything including commenting about how far there heads are up their kiesters. It is a NON issue as far as I am concerned.