ABF | Local Discussions On Tentative Agreement Local #878

Steward of the Rock

TB Veteran
Credits
On April 23rd and 24th, our Local here in Little Rock, Ar. had discussions about the ABF Tentative Agreement. In attendance was the new Southern Region Freight Coordinator (L. Grissom). The Tentative Agreement was covered for the National and the Southern Region Supplements.

(1) Article 3. Section 7- I am sure you have already read that the language is being removed from this contract (if it passes) that designates a specific area of the dock (at larger facilities) for Utility Employees to exchange their freight with other Utility Employees and that all Non-Utility freight will be staged in a specific area of the dock. This language removal will allow Utility Employees to work at any area of the dock, to unload the freight they need from a break-out, and load freight to a standard load-out. This is dock work that is supposed to be performed by that terminals dock employees, not Utility Employees. Mr. Grissom verified that this will be the case if this contract passes. This language removal allows the Utility Employee to break a Dock Employees classification. This is no different than one of us going to a different terminal every day and doing their city/dock work.

(2) Article 8. Section 1- The language that prevents the Employer from starting their own grievance procedure is being removed. This will allow ABF to start it's own Grievance procedure. They already have this at UPS (package) and from what I am told the majority do not approve of it.

(3) Article 29. MOU-While the "Red-Circle" language is changed, it still leaves drivers at home while a Purchase Transport driver hauls ABF freight. There should never be a situation that leaves an ABF driver at home while an Outside vendor hauls ABF freight.

(4) The whole National Economic Settlement is a joke from the pay, to the pension (freeze) to the health & welfare contributions, to the Profit Sharing Bonus. On the vacation language, Mr. Grissom explained it like this. "If your anniversary date is before April 1st, you must work to your next anniversary date and then 60% to earn the extra week back. If your anniversary date is April 1st or after, you will have to work 60% from your anniversary to earn the extra week". So, in a nut shell, no one will get the extra week until late 2018 and the vast majority will not get it until 2019.

(5) Southern Region Article 42. Section 2- In the past contracts, we have always had the "any five days out of seven days worked" formula to return to full-time status from a lay-off. The language is now being changed so that this formula only applies to the Distribution Centers (Little Rock, Dallas, and Atlanta). So, if you are not employed at one of these three Distibution Centers in the Southern Region and get laid-off, there is no fomula to guarantee that you will be worked back on.

At no time during these meetings did Mr. Grissom try to encourage a yes or a no vote. He stated that he was there to answer any questions that we may have.

This is why my vote will be a "NO".

On April 23rd and 24th, our Local here in Little Rock, Ar. had discussions about the ABF Tentative Agreement. In attendance was the new Southern Region Freight Coordinator (L. Grissom). The Tentative Agreement was covered for the National and the Southern Region Supplements.

(1) Article 3. Section 7- I am sure you have already read that the language is being removed from this contract (if it passes) that designates a specific area of the dock (at larger facilities) for Utility Employees to exchange their freight with other Utility Employees and that all Non-Utility freight will be staged in a specific area of the dock. This language removal will allow Utility Employees to work at any area of the dock, to unload the freight they need from a break-out, and load freight to a standard load-out. This is dock work that is supposed to be performed by that terminals dock employees, not Utility Employees. Mr. Grissom verified that this will be the case if this contract passes. This language removal allows the Utility Employee to break a Dock Employees classification. This is no different than one of us going to a different terminal every day and doing their city/dock work.

(2) Article 8. Section 1- The language that prevents the Employer from starting their own grievance procedure is being removed. This will allow ABF to start it's own Grievance procedure. They already have this at UPS (package) and from what I am told the majority do not approve of it.

(3) Article 29. MOU-While the "Red-Circle" language is changed, it still leaves drivers at home while a Purchase Transport driver hauls ABF freight. There should never be a situation that leaves an ABF driver at home while an Outside vendor hauls ABF freight.

(4) The whole National Economic Settlement is a joke from the pay, to the pension (freeze) to the health & welfare contributions, to the Profit Sharing Bonus. On the vacation language, Mr. Grissom explained it like this. "If your anniversary date is before April 1st, you must work to your next anniversary date and then 60% to earn the extra week back. If your anniversary date is April 1st or after, you will have to work 60% from your anniversary to earn the extra week". So, in a nut shell, no one will get the extra week until late 2018 and the vast majority will not get it until 2019.

(5) Southern Region Article 42. Section 2- In the past contracts, we have always had the "any five days out of seven days worked" formula to return to full-time status from a lay-off. The language is now being changed so that this formula only applies to the Distribution Centers (Little Rock, Dallas, and Atlanta). So, if you are not employed at one of these three Distibution Centers in the Southern Region and get laid-off, there is no fomula to guarantee that you will be worked back on.

At no time during these meetings did Mr. Grissom try to encourage a yes or a no vote. He stated that he was there to answer any questions that we may have.

Great post!

- Every day that goes by I find another concession, another grey area or language that removes more and more of our protection. If you could vote yes on this contract after reading it... carefully, I believe you decided yes back in December. If it was even worse you were still going to vote yes. This contract is not just to take from you it is also to embarrass you. We are all embarrassed that our leaders would put this in front of us and now is time to fight back! The yes votes simply have no idea that they are committing occupational *******. We can only try to get them to understand the immediate consequences and repercussions down the road of a yes vote. We still have guys at our barn...undecided who haven't read a thing concerning the contract...younger guys with no idea that their next 20-30 years are about to be decided for them...and me.

I will have to agree chowda, I too first looked at it and thought it was a decent contract. When I took the time to really read it deeper I have come to the conclusion that this is a sub standard contract. Mind you that this probably won't effect me with only a couple of years left but it will effect future generations. I have already turned my vote in and it was a big fat NO!!!! wish I could have said HELL NO!!!.

I will have to agree chowda, I too first looked at it and thought it was a decent contract. When I took the time to really read it deeper I have come to the conclusion that this is a sub standard contract. Mind you that this probably won't effect me with only a couple of years left but it will effect future generations. I have already turned my vote in and it was a big fat NO!!!! wish I could have said HELL NO!!!.
We won't know all the implications of the reduction in pension contributions for awhile yet. New England has already told us 64 minimum, no disability pension till 64, frozen pension monthly payment and with the contribution amount dropped making us orphans they have the right I believe to lower it further. Maybe your pension plan reads differently but I don't see how anyone's pension won't be affected negatively eventually.

Chowda, I should have not said it would not effect me. It might not effect me as much, but I know it probably will.

If it passes this contract will affect all the pension plans except those of our management and Teamster leaders.

Last edited: