Local intermodal for recent graduate?

JReding

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi folks
Interloper here, I'm trying to help a friend who is a recent graduate from driving school here in the Seattle area. Is there any hope for her to hire on in your intermodal yard in Sumner? She needs a local job, but without experience, no one will give her a shot. I feel her pain, because that's how I started out; I graduated from school back in '93, and lasted a whole month with Dick Simon before I came home (my trainer and I spent most of our time sitting at his house waiting for work, they kept dispatching and then cancelling our loads). I struggled, but I've been working local ever since (18 years at FedEx Freight, and now for the transportation dept. of a large hospital system). She is a 40 year old married mother of two, getting back into the work force. I've known her for 23 years, and I can vouch for her work ethic, and ability to excel at whatever she tries. She just needs to catch a break. Thanks for any input.

BTW, the reason I'm checking with you guys, a coworker from back in my FedEx days did weekend work for your Sumner facility for extra spending cash for a while, and he seemed to enjoy it there. I think this was probably about 10-12 years ago.

As a former employee working out of the Sumner yard all I can say is go in and talk to the fleet managers onsite. There are several other places that she can also look at including fedex freight. I loved my 13+ years at JB Hunt, the price for benefits and pay are the only reason I left.

As a former employee working out of the Sumner yard all I can say is go in and talk to the fleet managers onsite. There are several other places that she can also look at including fedex freight. I loved my 13+ years at JB Hunt, the price for benefits and pay are the only reason I left.
Thanks for the reply, sppollock.
I'll have to disagree with you on the recommendation for FedEx Freight, though; I left there in 2013, after 18 years. I planned on retiring there, but the place was no longer palatable. In the last two years, the Fife facility has lost around 75 people, 44 in the last year alone, from every level. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there.