Local Trucking as a 2nd Job

mml373

TB Lurker
Credits
I am in the military and, with all the force cuts, have been thinking about picking up a 2nd job (weekends and days off) as a driver. The goal being to have something to fall back upon if my military career suddenly goes away due to ongoing force cuts. My work schedule will support 3-4 days a week on the road, local haul.

I expect to pay the cost of tuition for a truck driving school out of pocket (160 Driving Academy, Belleville, IL).

Any thoughts on the quality of education 160 provides?

Is pursuing a part-time truck driving job, local only, realistic? Force cuts the past several years have destroyed so many folks' active duty military careers, and I am just thinking ahead so I can be in a position to survive if the axe comes my way. Gotta be able to make that house payment and feed the kids, ya know...

Have always wanted to drive...this may be a chance to get started.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

I am in the military and, with all the force cuts, have been thinking about picking up a 2nd job (weekends and days off) as a driver. The goal being to have something to fall back upon if my military career suddenly goes away due to ongoing force cuts. My work schedule will support 3-4 days a week on the road, local haul.

I expect to pay the cost of tuition for a truck driving school out of pocket (160 Driving Academy, Belleville, IL).

Any thoughts on the quality of education 160 provides?

Is pursuing a part-time truck driving job, local only, realistic? Force cuts the past several years have destroyed so many folks' active duty military careers, and I am just thinking ahead so I can be in a position to survive if the axe comes my way. Gotta be able to make that house payment and feed the kids, ya know...

Have always wanted to drive...this may be a chance to get started.

Thanks for any helpful replies.
It won't be easy as a rookie to get a good job doing local work. Most companies want at least 1 year of experience. Many rookies in trucking get there CDL free at OTR trucking companies and sign a commitment to stay on a year for them getting you your CDL. It also serves a purpose to get you the experience you need to get a good job. I'm sure some others on here will give you some advice soon.

Yeah...not sure how a buddy landed a part-time truck driving gig with a local company that works around his normal job's work hours. He had no prior experience (just completed CDL-A training locally) and walked right on with this outfit.

Yeah...not sure how a buddy landed a part-time truck driving gig with a local company that works around his normal job's work hours. He had no prior experience (just completed CDL-A training locally) and walked right on with this outfit.
I'm not saying those jobs don't exist. They do but many of them are not very good jobs. Maybe you can get with your friend and get an inside track on working where he dose or at least get some advice from him on the path he took.

Find a dump truck company. I've had a part time job driving a class B dump truck for years. There's no set schedule either. When I want to work, I'll call and they'll put me in a truck.
Yes, that is great advice. You can get your shifting skills perfected provided your not in one of those damn automatics. And just fine tune your driving skills all together so when you take your driving test with companies you can look like a real pro. Great advice.

Check with some of the carriers in your area as well as
with your chain of comand . I know alot of carriers are having a push to bring in service members into.the ranks of drivers. Some will even put you thru their own schools.
Hope that helps..

Yes, that is great advice. You can get your shifting skills perfected provided your not in one of those damn automatics. And just fine tune your driving skills all together so when you take your driving test with companies you can look like a real pro. Great advice.
Yes sir, that is true. 4 axle dump trucks have a 68,000 lb GVWR, so the weight is there.

Not only that, but most dump truck companies will pay better than Swift and whatnot. The OP might actually like dump trucks enough to make a full time job out of it when he leaves the military.

My company treats me well. Even as a part time driver, I have health benefits through them and also paid holidays off. So on holidays both my jobs are paying me to stay at home and get drunk. The nerve.

you are in the military? there is a hours of service rule for CDL holders and you must have 10 hours off before getting behind the wheel and all your work thru the Military those hours go against your 70 hours in a week.

you are in the military? there is a hours of service rule for CDL holders and you must have 10 hours off before getting behind the wheel and all your work thru the Military those hours go against your 70 hours in a week.
Government workers are exempt from logging HOS. He can do a 15 hour day with the military, drive a dump truck for 11 hours, then pull another 15 with the military, and there wouldn't be jack squat the dot could do about it.

If you have a military licence with trac-trlr on it U can get transportation to write u a waiver so U can go to DMV and wave the driving test
just do the written and get your CDL then like the other guys were saying dump trucks
check out the quarrys near you sand and gravel Co's and do some pt work