XPO | Log Books

Sillywilly

TB Lurker
Credits
Well, since a few topics have been raised about issues causing drivers to get fired. I would like to know how everyone feels about this.

The company does not pay you for the time you spend doing your logs books. Claiming that they aren't company required and not company documents that they are DOT required. However, I am sure most of us know of someone who has been fire for falsifying a company document. By logging a break they didn't take or speeding, etc etc etc. So if you choose not to pay for the time we spend doing them claiming they aren't company documents and not company required. How is it that you fire people for falsiying their log books on the grounds of falsiying a company document?

What is everyone's opinion on this matter.

Probably because you are putting the company at risk for potential lawsuits and fines should you get into an accident while logging that you were on break or lunch, when in fact you were actually hammering down to and from terminals.

The company wants you to appear legal and they share the burden of accuracy concerning your logs. If the DOT audits the logs and there is wide spread logging errors, they will be fined.

Worse yet is those discrepancies could be used in a libel suit. It's not a company doc, but I bet it could be called a legal doc. Conway is not unique in this endeavor.

Lie on a log in the military and you are subject to mast or even court martial.

Just my 2 cents.

I, under no circumstances, am condoning lying on your log books. However, using falsifying company documents as grounds for termination, when they don't pay you for doing your paperwork. Under the pretence that it's not a company document isn't kosher.

They are "God" and can do as they please. everyone else is supposed to just bend over and take it.

Well, since a few topics have been raised about issues causing drivers to get fired. I would like to know how everyone feels about this.

The company does not pay you for the time you spend doing your logs books. Claiming that they aren't company required and not company documents that they are DOT required. However, I am sure most of us know of someone who has been fire for falsifying a company document. By logging a break they didn't take or speeding, etc etc etc. So if you choose not to pay for the time we spend doing them claiming they aren't company documents and not company required. How is it that you fire people for falsiying their log books on the grounds of falsiying a company document?

What is everyone's opinion on this matter.

You filling the log book out is mandated by federal law...federal law also leaves it to the employer/carrier to add what they want into it versus the bare minimum the CFR requires. Now, to prevent the federal/state and local governments of having to bare the cost of monitoring it, they force the carriers/employers to do this and enforce a random inspection for the logs (which you know must be maintained for the prior 6months for every driver), of which hefty fines are imposed. So that leaves the ability of the carrier/employer to be able to protect its interest by allowing the enforcement of company policies concerning these very same log books. The log is a very delicate legally binding instrument. It, like the non-existent conway personal manual, can be used in many different ways and by many different people against or for you...my personal thoughts are simple, because it is a legal document binding ONCE you sign it, you are the one going to go to jail (ie..citations, etc) for it, not conway or any other carrier...so you and only you need to be sure of what you put in there...

Doesn't virtually EVERY L/H driver, on a nightly basis, log a lunch and a break that is in fact absolutely never taken? Kind of the same with fueling and hooking too no?

Doesn't virtually EVERY L/H driver, on a nightly basis, log a lunch and a break that is in fact absolutely never taken? Kind of the same with fueling and hooking too no?

I have never logged a break not taken...if i log a break, then i took it and possibly even longer then i was actually stopped...i am a comfort driver...when i get uncomfortable i stop until i am comfortable again...mostly due to my work related injuries, but sometimes cause i just got tired of holding the steering wheel and took a few minutes to not hold the steering wheel...