Yellow | Logging off duty / while waiting for freight warning letters

How are you going to log into a truck that is not yet at the terminal?
If the equipment that you are to be allegedly responsible for is not available, then you backdate the log to the time you arrived once you receive it. The computer has a tool to make adjustments like that for exactly this kind of situation.

They can be edited...they just show as edited on the log print outs and saved files. At least you can with XRS. Not sure what elog program we will get or how they will network it. XRS ran off of a puck that provided the GPS and a cell phone provided the data.
I've heard that. But the people here at Day & Ross refuse to edit anything because nobody wants to be held responsible for screwing up. And I suspect you might see that a lot. They just say "I can't edit it."

I can check my logs on my cell phone or home computer at any time by logging into Peoplenet's network using the company code and my driver ID. It doesn't require any input from management knuckleheads and I can print a copy anywhere or email it to the DOT, myself or whoever. You don't have to ask anyone's permission to see your logs. By law you must always have access to them. That includes electronic logs.

That's not to say paper logs aren't a good backup if you feel it necessary, but the electronic logs are the ones the DOT will reference by law once the mandate comes in. And going forward, I can assure you, these systems are driver friendly. Paper logs are a pain, far more work and far less precise. Elogs will indicate the exact minutes and are far more in our favor regarding filing on lost pay because there's no disputing the digital clock.
I would welcome the electronic log over the paper, as long as I had access to them any time, & could tell if they had been altered. You have strong points in you comments. If there is some kind of error on my log & needs to be corrected, I would want to do it myself. Not someone who goes in to change it to make the company look good. If I violate the HOS rules it is on me. And I should log it as I drove it, even if it is a violation. I know I am reaching here in my argument. But my electronic logging is I assume a legal document created by me. Any changes to that document should be made by me & no one else. No court cases yet. But I have a feeling there will be one soon enough where the company alters the log without the driver knowing about, then the driver being blamed for any errors. Hence I want to be able to print on demand by a LE Officer my electronic log when asked for. Right now most LE departments don't want to or have the ability to 'hook up' to your on board recorder to look for violations. I could claim his equipment let loose a virus on mine causing a great loss of time & money. If you don't have a printer or your EOBR crashes on you, just show them your hand entries on you back up paper log. You did back up your electronic logs with a paper log? Right? If not, does he put you out of service because your electronics crashed? EOBR's & computers crashing is like turning the key to start the truck, it's gonna happen.

I would welcome the electronic log over the paper, as long as I had access to them any time, & could tell if they had been altered. You have strong points in you comments. If there is some kind of error on my log & needs to be corrected, I would want to do it myself. Not someone who goes in to change it to make the company look good. If I violate the HOS rules it is on me. And I should log it as I drove it, even if it is a violation. I know I am reaching here in my argument. But my electronic logging is I assume a legal document created by me. Any changes to that document should be made by me & no one else. No court cases yet. But I have a feeling there will be one soon enough where the company alters the log without the driver knowing about, then the driver being blamed for any errors. Hence I want to be able to print on demand by a LE Officer my electronic log when asked for. Right now most LE departments don't want to or have the ability to 'hook up' to your on board recorder to look for violations. I could claim his equipment let loose a virus on mine causing a great loss of time & money. If you don't have a printer or your EOBR crashes on you, just show them your hand entries on you back up paper log. You did back up your electronic logs with a paper log? Right? If not, does he put you out of service because your electronics crashed? EOBR's & computers crashing is like turning the key to start the truck, it's gonna happen.
The beauty of the system is that if your computer crashes (mine does at least twice a week) as long as it reboots (which it does automatically unless the power is cut) the computer resumes based upon log status at the time of crash, including time because it's connected to a network via satellite. No data is lost because the computer in the truck is not where the data is stored. It's transmitted via satellite constantly to the servers and stored there.

As for the printout situation for a DOT or LE officer, if you or he doesn't have access to a printer directly I was instructed by Peoplenet to ask if there was an email it could be sent to. In the highly unlikely situation that you have an officer that has not yet entered the digitized era, I was advised to contact Peoplenet and have them contact the officer.

And if anyone alters the data of a log, it's flagged with that person's ID number so you can't be blamed. It is not a free-access system and can only be accessed using both an ID number and a company code number.

The beauty of the system is that if your computer crashes (mine does at least twice a week) as long as it reboots (which it does automatically unless the power is cut) the computer resumes based upon log status at the time of crash, including time because it's connected to a network via satellite. No data is lost because the computer in the truck is not where the data is stored. It's transmitted via satellite constantly to the servers and stored there.

As for the printout situation for a DOT or LE officer, if you or he doesn't have access to a printer directly I was instructed by Peoplenet to ask if there was an email it could be sent to. In the highly unlikely situation that you have an officer that has not yet entered the digitized era, I was advised to contact Peoplenet and have them contact the officer.

And if anyone alters the data of a log, it's flagged with that person's ID number so you can't be blamed. It is not a free-access system and can only be accessed using both an ID number and a company code number.

In the states the driver is required to carry a paper fact sheet showing how to download the trucks system. It must be presented to a officer upon demand.
The driver must also be familial enough with the system to operate it.
This is what I am told is what most are getting tickets for these days their lack of compliance with the above.

In the states the driver is required to carry a paper fact sheet showing how to download the trucks system. It must be presented to a officer upon demand.
The driver must also be familial enough with the system to operate it.
This is what I am told is what most are getting tickets for these days their lack of compliance with the above.
It's the same up here. I have that fact sheet and it never leaves the cab. I think the trouble regarding familiarity with the system is that not everyone pays attention when they're being taught to use it. Those are usually the guys who can't find their cab cards, either.

I also think it's a good idea to write problems on your truck report that you know they won't fix. I know it's a pain to constantly write the ::shit:: down, but, you are leaving a possible VERY important paper trail.

Edit: Only time I won't write something down that I know is a waste of time is when I have to **** like a racehorse. :indecisiveness: I also started saving the yellow copy for myself. Store them in my file. Know what I'm gettin at?

Last edited:
With e logs it is critical to know if anyone can change or alter your e-logs after you have signed off for the day. Ask yourself, can anyone @ my company go in to the computer & change anything I entered? Either way, get a copy of your e-log every day before you leave work. If management knows you get a paper printout of your e-logs every day, it makes it hard for them to explain any alterations to the documents.
I've worked for other companies with E-Logs and if ANYTHING is changed on them, you (the driver) must sign the alteration(s). They can't change anything without you knowing they changed it, if they do, I'm fairly certain that'd fall under the "coercion" law and would get them a nice little fine. I never got a print out of my daily logs UNLESS they altered it for one reason or another. And if they were to sign your name rate he have you sign, well that would open up a whole new can of worms.

Lol i may just float on up to Milwaukee and pay you a vist
You're a scary guy. LMFAO . Stay away from the cheetos fat boy. 5 years from now, your obese dumb ass won't pass a dot physical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont worry about what i do i float around like a butterfly you just make sure you deliver all your freight
I bet you do "float like a butterfly" sweetheart. Lol
Lol i may just float on up to Milwaukee and pay you a vist
You're a scary guy. LMFAO . Stay away from the cheetos fat boy. 5 years from now, your obese dumb ass won't pass a dot physical.
???

We had a member at 218 Richfield and 211 Copley received warning letters for logging off duty while waiting for freight. Any one else getting these letters....is this a violation of federal dot regulations? ???
We had a member at 218 Richfield and 211 Copley received warning letters for logging off duty while waiting for freight. Any one else getting these letters....is this a violation of federal dot regulations? ???

Read line 4 on your logbook cover......KK
TDw6kDE.jpg