Yellow | Logging off duty / while waiting for freight warning letters

Big R, don't quote me, but I believe you are on-duty not driving when you report to work @ the assigned time by your supervisor. If I am wrong someone please show me in the regs why I am wrong. Thanks. von.
. If road driver, yes. Your first entry on your log would be whatever time you show for PTI, if you do one.

. If road driver, yes. Your first entry on your log would be whatever time you show for PTI, if you do one.
You might be right. But, I believe the DOT reg's do not mention job classification. Road or city, when you show up for your given start time you are on duty not driving. If a mechanic @ you barn starts work @ 0700 drives the truck to the dealer & returns to the barn, his 14 hour clock started @ 0700. If he drives more than 100 air miles trying to recover a tractor, he has to log it. No exceptions. He has a CDL just like any one else hitting the street in a CMV. He has to log it on paper or electronically once he reaches the 100 mile air rule. ABF rules changed last year where you had to log all driving regardless of the distance if you drove. Any correction on my post is welcomed. von.

No one where I work is making or allowing false logs. Fireable offense, no warnings. Like I said, different atmosphere. If it's changed, even by management, it's programmed to light up in red and send at least 4 people (including the driver) an email.
With major hacking of corporations computers & data bases, do you want to take a chance of having a submitted electronic log, by you, being altered? Will it or can it happen? Who no's, but why take a chance. Get a print out. Potential is saving you a lot of grief and a loss of you job. CYA.

You might be right. But, I believe the DOT reg's do not mention job classification. Road or city, when you show up for your given start time you are on duty not driving. If a mechanic @ you barn starts work @ 0700 drives the truck to the dealer & returns to the barn, his 14 hour clock started @ 0700. If he drives more than 100 air miles trying to recover a tractor, he has to log it. No exceptions. He has a CDL just like any one else hitting the street in a CMV. He has to log it on paper or electronically once he reaches the 100 mile air rule. ABF rules changed last year where you had to log all driving regardless of the distance if you drove. Any correction on my post is welcomed. von.
I think we are on the same page now. Yes, the 14 hour clock starts at the beginning of your shift and/or clock punch regardless of job classification. If a shop employee drives a vehicle over 10,000 lbs gross he must log it if he goes over 100 nautical miles or over 11 hours. If a mechanic is called in for road service/retrieval the clock punch starts his 14 hour clock. As for DOT regulations he can drive tractors to dealerships for warranty work without logging if it is less than 100 miles or less than 11 hours on shift. Driving a service truck that is less than 10,000 lbs gross does not count on driving time but is considered time on duty & requires logging as such if he later drives a commercial vehicle for any reason.
ABF requires that anybody driving a tractor off company property to have a CDL with doubles/triples & haz mat endorsement no exceptions.

We had a member at 218 Richfield and 211 Copley received warning letters for logging off duty while waiting for freight. Any one else getting these letters....is this a violation of federal dot regulations? ???
The only way to log off duty and be legal is log it as required 30 min rest break that is required before the 8th hour of being on duty But you should not be logging off duty to save hrs to help the company money Look at how much they take of you Pay cuts no pension Just saying

I think we are on the same page now. Yes, the 14 hour clock starts at the beginning of your shift and/or clock punch regardless of job classification. If a shop employee drives a vehicle over 10,000 lbs gross he must log it if he goes over 100 nautical miles or over 11 hours. If a mechanic is called in for road service/retrieval the clock punch starts his 14 hour clock. As for DOT regulations he can drive tractors to dealerships for warranty work without logging if it is less than 100 miles or less than 11 hours on shift. Driving a service truck that is less than 10,000 lbs gross does not count on driving time but is considered time on duty & requires logging as such if he later drives a commercial vehicle for any reason.
ABF requires that anybody driving a tractor off company property to have a CDL with doubles/triples & haz mat endorsement no exceptions.
If that last part is true almost all terminals should be cited for breaking the rules! We have dealers and mechanics come in all the time. It's a guarantee most of those guys do you not have doubles or hazmat. That has to be just for employee's i'm guessing?

If that last part is true almost all terminals should be cited for breaking the rules! We have dealers and mechanics come in all the time. It's a guarantee most of those guys do you not have doubles or hazmat. That has to be just for employee's i'm guessing?
Yes that is ABF employees.

I think you nailed this one. I agree to all you said.

The only way to log off duty and be legal is log it as required 30 min rest break that is required before the 8th hour of being on duty But you should not be logging off duty to save hrs to help the company money Look at how much they take of you Pay cuts no pension Just saying
Your 30 minute break counts against your 14 hours but not (I believe) your 70 in 8 or 60 in 7 rule. Anyone know on the count against your cap?

One thing to remember is you need to know DOT regulations & adhere to the same. You are ultimately responsible for your actions. If a supervisor asks or tells you to do something that is against regulations refuse to do it. I have seen management develop amnesia & claim they didn't say what they actually did to protect their own butt.

Your 30 minute break counts against your 14 hours but not (I believe) your 70 in 8 or 60 in 7 rule. Anyone know on the count against your cap?
At abf we are required to log required 30 min rest break off duty it is counted as part of 14 hr day But you are correct it does not count against 70/60 hr total No matter what line you log on your 14 hr day is 14 consecutive hr example start @1900 14th is 0900 can only work 13 1/2 hrs in 14

One thing to remember is you need to know DOT regulations & adhere to the same. You are ultimately responsible for your actions. If a supervisor asks or tells you to do something that is against regulations refuse to do it. I have seen management develop amnesia & claim they didn't say what they actually did to protect their own butt.
At abf we are required to log required 30 min rest break off duty it is counted as part of 14 hr day But you are correct it does not count against 70/60 hr total No matter what line you log on your 14 hr day is 14 consecutive hr example start @1900 14th is 0900 can only work 13 1/2 hrs in 14

Thanks. I thought I was right on the 70 hour rule. Being retired I am behind the curve where it comes to on board recorders. Rules the same but a whole lot different in how you stay compliant with the HOS. A new learning curve for everyone. A year or less there will be software that is sold or passed around that will be able to circumvent entries to the recorder. Maybe not so soon, but it is only a mobile computer that hackers & crackers live to beat or change. It is bragging rights for that mind set. I still say with recorders crashing & re-booting, with management altering your data entries, get a print out of your log each time you mark off. Boy Scout is 'Be Prepared". The adult version, CYA. von

that employee should get an on the spot award for saving the company money to ensure Welch gets another 8 million stock bonus ,salary and bonus comes to about 5000 an hour ,that is working through his lunch you 15% cry baby!!:butt kiss:

We had a member at 218 Richfield and 211 Copley received warning letters for logging off duty while waiting for freight. Any one else getting these letters....is this a violation of federal dot regulations? ???
Log all crap on duty make them put you to bed and if the call b4 8 hours rest tell the mf's you are sliding 8 for breaking my rest and get paid for it tired of sitting do something about it tired of freight getting ran around us do something about it take a stand

Log all crap on duty make them put you to bed and if the call b4 8 hours rest tell the mf's you are sliding 8 for breaking my rest and get paid for it tired of sitting do something about it tired of freight getting ran around us do something about it take a stand

I thought you were non union and drove for Southeastern?
When did you start at YRC?? Could swear you were talking ::shit:: about the Teamsters not so long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually you can work beyond your 14th consecutive hour, you just can't drive.