Yellow | Logging off duty / while waiting for freight warning letters

I've been running e-logs for awhile now and this is how I would do manage my time, if I worked at YRC. I would get my tractor squared away, get my paperwork, and then do a PTI on my equipment, which I assume some else has already hooked. If everything is in order, then I would log in and start my 14 hour clock. Where I work, I can put the e-log on on duty not driving status or, if YRC's system doesn't have that feature, just logging in and not moving should achieve the same thing. IF you enter the PTI on the e-log system then I would do it after logging in, even though you actually did the inspection before logging in. Then dispatch out, hit the gate, with both your 14 hour and 11 hour drive time clock rolling. I believe that you can drive past your 14 hour clock. Our system allows us to extend our 14 hour clock by an additional 2 hours and be able to drive until the 16th hour as long as certain conditions are met. I use it from time to time, usually after getting stuck in a prolonged shutdown.

I've been running e-logs for awhile now and this is how I would do manage my time, if I worked at YRC. I would get my tractor squared away, get my paperwork, and then do a PTI on my equipment, which I assume some else has already hooked. If everything is in order, then I would log in and start my 14 hour clock. Where I work, I can put the e-log on on duty not driving status or, if YRC's system doesn't have that feature, just logging in and not moving should achieve the same thing. IF you enter the PTI on the e-log system then I would do it after logging in, even though you actually did the inspection before logging in. Then dispatch out, hit the gate, with both your 14 hour and 11 hour drive time clock rolling. I believe that you can drive past your 14 hour clock. Our system allows us to extend our 14 hour clock by an additional 2 hours and be able to drive until the 16th hour as long as certain conditions are met. I use it from time to time, usually after getting stuck in a prolonged shutdown.

What you're suggesting is in violation of DOT regulations. Your 14 hour clock technically starts when you report for work. Paperwork, PTI, etc. is on duty not driving time and counts toward your 14 hours. I'll never understand why people want to subvert rules that are put in place to protect us.

What you're suggesting is in violation of DOT regulations. Your 14 hour clock technically starts when you report for work. Paperwork, PTI, etc. is on duty not driving time and counts toward your 14 hours. I'll never understand why people want to subvert rules that are put in place to protect us.
Not covered under workmans-comp insurance if your not on duty.

Not covered under workmans-comp insurance if your not on duty.
You got that right. But, there is a case that made it to the IN Supreme Court & the plaintiff (the employee) prevailed. He slipped on some ice walking to his car in the parking lot after he had clocked out for the shift. The court held he was on company property & it was part of his normal work cycle walking to & from his car to the terminal. They awarded attorney fees, lost workman comp wages due him, & all his medical bills paid. Being off the clock didn't matter. What mattered was he was on the property & performing something that was part of his work day.

You're right. "Technically", my 14 hour clock should start as soon as I walk in the building, pickup the paperwork, or yada,yada,yada, and Rollback is right about the insurance. In my opinion,some times practicality overrides subversion. While your on the clock and eating your 14, I save 15 or 20 minutes per day x 5 starts a week and still hit the gate as prepared as you are and my log will look just as legal as your's. The trailer doesn't move until I am logged in and have started my 14. If I have to go to the shop, I'm logged in. A beef with the dock or dispatch, I am logged in. I'll take my chances, with the insurance situation, believing, that under just about any scenario, I can get to the tractor, log in, and then call for help.
Even as little as 20 minutes saved each day has come in handy on several occasions. I'll roll all week and not butt heads once with Central, dock people, or anybody else over running out of time. How you do it is up to you, but my way still gets the job done just as well as yours.

You're right. "Technically", my 14 hour clock should start as soon as I walk in the building, pickup the paperwork, or yada,yada,yada, and Rollback is right about the insurance. In my opinion,some times practicality overrides subversion. While your on the clock and eating your 14, I save 15 or 20 minutes per day x 5 starts a week and still hit the gate as prepared as you are and my log will look just as legal as your's. The trailer doesn't move until I am logged in and have started my 14. If I have to go to the shop, I'm logged in. A beef with the dock or dispatch, I am logged in. I'll take my chances, with the insurance situation, believing, that under just about any scenario, I can get to the tractor, log in, and then call for help.
Even as little as 20 minutes saved each day has come in handy on several occasions. I'll roll all week and not butt heads once with Central, dock people, or anybody else over running out of time. How you do it is up to you, but my way still gets the job done just as well as yours.
So if you never run out of time what's the advantage?, if you need the extra 15 or 20 on occasion you can use your 16hr rule.

In my opinion, there are 2 reasons to keep that 2 hour extension locked in your back pocket. The first is I hate laying down in a hotel. If I have to laydown somewhere because I am just barely short of hours, then I really hate it. The second is that the 2 hour extension has certain conditions that have to be met before you can use it. It's a one shot and done kind of thing until you can reset your logbook. There have been several occasions, where I could have used my extension, where I have gotten back to my barn and off the clock with less then 10:00 minutes to spare, but I still had my extension available. If I strangled a dollar as hard as I strangle my log time, I would be retired by now.

So you're saying that "bending the rules" is OK when it benefits you personally. Well then you can't complain when someone else bends the rules some other time because it benefits them personally in their case. Then everybody can "bend the rules" some time or another because it benefits them in their particular situation. See what happens when you work that way?

THE YRC FREIGHT I know would more likely to give you a letter for logging on duty.. while sitting in the drivers room That why I ask where is a copy of this letter?

I've been logging for 41 years......if your start time is at 6:00 pm, and the load is not ready until 8:00 pm....those 2 hours of compensation go on the "On Duty Not Driving" section.....go as far as you can LEGALLY go, call them to come get you, or tell them where you went to bed at......this is so simple, and it is the Law. ..if you want to change the Law, change the ones who made it.....KK

First, Who Am I hurting? I'm doing my pretrip, and as I posted, if necessary, I log in to go to get something fixed. I'm checking my bills and hazmat paperwork and correcting any problems. As far as safety is concerned, my rig is just as road ready as yours. The only differences that I can see is that I will complete my day and not have anybody have to come and pull my slack because I wanted to sit 2 hours for "compensation". Another difference is "that you are so selfish that you would take your rig out the gate knowing that you do not have enough time to get to where you are going, knowing that someone else is going to have to come and take up your slack, and in small way putting them at risk. Now, who is in it for personal gain.

First, Who Am I hurting? I'm doing my pretrip, and as I posted, if necessary, I log in to go to get something fixed. I'm checking my bills and hazmat paperwork and correcting any problems. As far as safety is concerned, my rig is just as road ready as yours. The only differences that I can see is that I will complete my day and not have anybody have to come and pull my slack because I wanted to sit 2 hours for "compensation". Another difference is "that you are so selfish that you would take your rig out the gate knowing that you do not have enough time to get to where you are going, knowing that someone else is going to have to come and take up your slack, and in small way putting them at risk. Now, who is in it for personal gain.
You are. It's illegal whether you like it or not.

It's not a question of "compensation". You are on the job and ready to perform your work when you show up at your start time. Whether you are compensated or not, you are on duty not driving. If you want to break the law that's your choice but stop pretending that what you're doing is not against DOT regulations. It certainly is.

On duty time is just that & it counts as such. If you are involved in an accident whether it is your fault or not you will be accountable for any violations to regulations. Ambulance chasing attorneys love to find violations to DOT regulations in lawsuits involving commercial vehicles. I was involved in an accident years ago that was not my fault so I know from experience. Anybody injured in an accident has 3 years to file a lawsuit unless they are a minor then they have until they are 21. If you are operating a commercial vehicle you are considered to be a professional & best conduct your actions accordingly.

every one else . its called being a measter .

If you have an accident, 10 minutes from the barn & 30 minutes from your 11th hour drive time, & worked for 2 hours @ the terminal doing anything work related before starting your run, you have a legal problem. How bad is the problem? You are @ fault in the accident. 2 in serious condition in the hospital, 1 dead on arrival. You have a very bad problem. The attorneys for the injured will find out you were out of hours, (you already used your 16 hour rule) in the previous 7 days. Not to mention if the District Attorney is running for re-election. Instant loss of income when you are fired & need to hire an attorney for 10 grand to try & keep you out of jail. You have a very bad problem. Mortgage, car payment monies have ceased to exist. Yea, you have a problem. Will it happen? Probably not. But God help you if what I described does happen. Him being the only one who might help. Keep the faith, & drive safe. von.

Say what y'all want but I don't make this stuff up. This is straight from the FMCSA website and is there for all to see.
Question 10: How does compensation relate to on-duty time?

Guidance: The fact that a driver is paid for a period of time does not always establish that the driver was on-duty for the purposes of part 395 during that period of time. A driver may be relieved of duty under certain conditions and still be paid.

www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.2?guidance
Relieved of duty only helps your 70 not your 14 hour day still shows a start time