TForce | Long Freight

They consider it undesirable, non profitable freight that does not fit in the plans.
Long freight results in Less freight in trailers, less profit, poorly loaded trailers. It also has one of the highest risk of damage claims.

Since we have a huge history of sucking at moving anything long without damaging it. It makes sense.

It’s like shipping long freight and taking the profitable space away from a few customers. Than damaging that long freight. Now we lost the profit on the long freight, we now have to pay the claim. We also lost that easier profit potential from the lost space that we gave to the long crap.

I forget the number but there is a max limit on length now. Also NO overhanging of freight past pallets.

They consider it undesirable, non profitable freight that does not fit in the plans.
Long freight results in Less freight in trailers, less profit, poorly loaded trailers. It also has one of the highest risk of damage claims.

Since we have a huge history of sucking at moving anything long without damaging it. It makes sense.

It’s like shipping long freight and taking the profitable space away from a few customers. Than damaging that long freight. Now we lost the profit on the long freight, we now have to pay the claim. We also lost that easier profit potential from the lost space that we gave to the long crap.
How about any freight? Nbr was a ghost town Last night ! Looked like the middle of January!

Let's see, that means no more, playnation, rogue fitness, or sun setters?
Just kinda odd that nbr went from 5 Trailers across the length of the building were you drop out to 2 Trailers the length of the building! ( two Trailers...just two single Trailers!!) Guess all we hauled was freight that doesn't fit!

Also my terminal manager said the company went from 100 thousand deliveries a day company wide to 35 thousand..

I hope so. It’s rare if we see something presentable.it’s either been rained on, bird crapped on, walked all over, slid down the dock etc. 60% of our long inbound deliveries are damaged and our dock adds another 25% to kill it off.

On some of the boxes it is clearly stated and illustrated to use a two person lift.
Forced to break it down piece by piece.
Sliding, dragging, wrestling while trying to keep boxes from further splitting open.

Management does say if we ever need help we should call and they will send help. Bad thing is when you do call in for help they almost always have no help available.

Going a bit off topic:

Here we are trying to unload a skid that has been obliterated while being loaded into truck.
* Pieces of Rogue weights coming out.
* Pieces of Playnation cedar planks falling out.
* Sun Setter turned into pretzels.
* Fork hole pierced outdoor patio sets.
* Vanity sets, mirrors that are clearly shattered.
* Tipped over and yellow shrink wrapped Grizzly products.
* Grills, Snap on tools looking like it was rejects from liquidity services site.

We had a driver pick up a 30 foot long skid of metal in his 48ft trailer.
Not pup worthy freight unless we apply a 2 foot right angle

We had a driver pick up a 30 foot long skid of metal in his 48ft trailer.
Not pup worthy freight unless we apply a 2 foot right angle
We had one of our drivers pick up a 40ft piece of aluminum rub rail from the trailer mfg. to be shipped to another terminal. Couldn't understand why he had to return it the next day. Until they asked him to put it into a pup. His defense was, "Why did you schedule me to pick it up then"?

I hope so. It’s rare if we see something presentable.it’s either been rained on, bird crapped on, walked all over, slid down the dock etc. 60% of our long inbound deliveries are damaged and our dock adds another 25% to kill it off.

On some of the boxes it is clearly stated and illustrated to use a two person lift.
Forced to break it down piece by piece.
Sliding, dragging, wrestling while trying to keep boxes from further splitting open.

Management does say if we ever need help we should call and they will send help. Bad thing is when you do call in for help they almost always have no help available.

Going a bit off topic:

Here we are trying to unload a skid that has been obliterated while being loaded into truck.
* Pieces of Rogue weights coming out.
* Pieces of Playnation cedar planks falling out.
* Sun Setter turned into pretzels.
* Fork hole pierced outdoor patio sets.
* Vanity sets, mirrors that are clearly shattered.
* Tipped over and yellow shrink wrapped Grizzly products.
* Grills, Snap on tools looking like it was rejects from liquidity services site.
I see it nightly! I see how it's loaded and unloaded on both ends! It's disgraceful..I watch supervisors watching it happen and nobody cares! It's all about the invisible numbers! Take the freight off and load it straight on the trailer no matter what's in front or behind it..the best is the caution tape around the hazmat..like that's gonna help! Lol....I feel for the city guy's that they make go and deliver the destroyed crap....always here management telling the drivers " you have to make the attempt "

Also if anyone can help me understand picking freight up on Friday and not moving it till Sunday???

That was going to be my next question.

Rogue isn't terrible if the heavy side is loaded towards the nose---this way you can get the pallet jack in from that side and angle it to the side onto the gate as you exit the trailer.

We have a long pallet jack at the terminal just for this. But only one jack for now.

Sunsetter i don't think we can get rid of.............because sunsetter doesn't want to get rid of us..........

Another account we should probably get rid of is Yankee Candle. Some of you who are not on the east coast may be fortunate enough to not know what this is......

Another account we should probably get rid of is Yankee Candle. Some of you who are not on the east coast may be fortunate enough to not know what this is......
yea ..but the candles smell nice. burn one in the bathroom to get rid of those odors when people visit

yea ..but the candles smell nice. burn one in the bathroom to get rid of those odors when people visit
They make your trailer smell nice too....I used to peddle an area that had a fairly well known candle company on it (not yankee).....I would stop at a machine shop on the way back and the guys there would always tell me how nice my trailer smelled....true story....

They make your trailer smell nice too....I used to peddle an area that had a fairly well known candle company on it (not yankee).....I would stop at a machine shop on the way back and the guys there would always tell me how nice my trailer smelled....true story....

Do either of you actually deal with the yankee candle account though?

Do either of you actually deal with the yankee candle account though?
I have when I worked for Con-Way Freight.....wasn't that big of a deal....right now I deliver to an urban outfitters...same thing stack boxes with labels facing out....not rocket science

Just kinda odd that nbr went from 5 Trailers across the length of the building were you drop out to 2 Trailers the length of the building! ( two Trailers...just two single Trailers!!) Guess all we hauled was freight that doesn't fit!

Also my terminal manager said the company went from 100 thousand deliveries a day company wide to 35 thousand..
Maybe 100k to 3500. Dead in cgo. 2-3 del in each trailer. Mostly trailers full with pickups. If it's slow in a city like Chicago, crossroads of America, I would think it would be slow everywhere.
Asked for a bill count couple weeks ago, management said it was solid. Next day they laid off most of the billing clerks.
Pathetic

JtHUlJC.jpg

Driver: "So.......how am i supposed to deliver this one......?"

Operations manager: "Just make it happen........"

The pallet does NOT end where the box ends----the small pallet at the rear of the trailer is actually connected to the main pallet----so it's really one LOOOOONG pallet.

We used the long pallet jack PLUS a regular pallet jack. i was actually able to angle it, very carefully, perpendicular (T-bone) onto the liftgate--i think i was parked on a slight incline with the front of the trailer higher than the rear, this allowed me to let the pallet drift towards the rear. i purposely put the pallet in the trailer like that with the pallet jack loaded in like that----that end of the pallet was heavier than the other side. It then took 4 of us---there was a crew at the site, using TWO pallet jacks to get it behind the house; Some newer houses don't have the garage facing the street with the front door. The garage is BEHIND the house and there is a small access road/alley. What if no crew on-site? Pallet was approx 1750-2000 lbs. Also note that we only have one long pallet jack at my barn. i just happened to get my hands on it first yesterday morning. Some terminals have NO long pallet jacks.

So we have regular 40" X 48" pallets.

Superpallets which are longer than the standard 40 x 48"

Then, MEGAPALLETS like the one pictured above.

Let's re-examine the dialog between driver and manager:

"So, how am i supposed to deliver this one?

A. "Just make it happen." Or "Work your magic" or somesuch...........

i think we are out of touch with the freight. If we are in the business of picking up and delivering freight (which we are, last time i checked.....), then shouldn't we have the proper tools to MOVE the freight?

When you get answers such as "Just make it happen," and "work your magic," etc. from management, this shows we/management have lost touch with what we are REALLY doing. We're not a freight company anymore-----we're a NUMBERS company.

WE ARE NOT A FREIGHT COMPANY ANYMORE. WE ARE A J-OFF OUTFIT.

Last edited: