TForce | Long Freight

Also, let's say the pallet was normal sized. How do we expect to move a 2000 lbs pallet? You can't always park on an incline at every customer.

Whenever I get stuff like that, I usually ask dock personnel to keep it close to the tail (I can usually work around it)
I end up meeting with the contractor or home owner.
I either have to slide the pieces to the tailgate or he has some of his crew do it all while I stand there out of the way looking like I’m helping. (Pick up 100 lbs bands and bend them into manageable pieces, crumple up 200 lbs of shrink wrap, tilt 400lb pallets..the heavy stuff )

Our dispatchers say, “ Do your best but be safe”
Some drivers ask dispatch to send help
Some turn them into BBAK’s

Also, let's say the pallet was normal sized. How do we expect to move a 2000 lbs pallet? You can't always park on an incline at every customer.
That can turn into a fiasco real quick. Especially if it’s salt bags or water.
I almost pulled my back having to pull that much weight back so I could turn it around and push. It was winter, trailer floor was slick, that unexpected slip.
You can bet, if someone gets hurt it becomes the next PCM

Curbside delivery is all that is required. Read the tariff, I'll post the delivery requirements that are published when I get a little time.

JtHUlJC.jpg

Driver: "So.......how am i supposed to deliver this one......?"

Operations manager: "Just make it happen........"

The pallet does NOT end where the box ends----the small pallet at the rear of the trailer is actually connected to the main pallet----so it's really one LOOOOONG pallet.

We used the long pallet jack PLUS a regular pallet jack. i was actually able to angle it, very carefully, perpendicular (T-bone) onto the liftgate--i think i was parked on a slight incline with the front of the trailer higher than the rear, this allowed me to let the pallet drift towards the rear. i purposely put the pallet in the trailer like that with the pallet jack loaded in like that----that end of the pallet was heavier than the other side. It then took 4 of us---there was a crew at the site, using TWO pallet jacks to get it behind the house; Some newer houses don't have the garage facing the street with the front door. The garage is BEHIND the house and there is a small access road/alley. What if no crew on-site? Pallet was approx 1750-2000 lbs. Also note that we only have one long pallet jack at my barn. i just happened to get my hands on it first yesterday morning. Some terminals have NO long pallet jacks.

So we have regular 40" X 48" pallets.

Superpallets which are longer than the standard 40 x 48"

Then, MEGAPALLETS like the one pictured above.

Let's re-examine the dialog between driver and manager:

"So, how am i supposed to deliver this one?

A. "Just make it happen." Or "Work your magic" or somesuch...........

i think we are out of touch with the freight. If we are in the business of picking up and delivering freight (which we are, last time i checked.....), then shouldn't we have the proper tools to MOVE the freight?

When you get answers such as "Just make it happen," and "work your magic," etc. from management, this shows we/management have lost touch with what we are REALLY doing. We're not a freight company anymore-----we're a NUMBERS company.

WE ARE NOT A FREIGHT COMPANY ANYMORE. WE ARE A J-OFF OUTFIT.
Contact cgo. We have atleast 2 10foot pallet Jack's still in wrapping. We'll send you 1. We find that a 10foot pallet jack can't be turned in a trailer and is too long for a lift gate. Also completely useless when u ou deliver the oversized skids.

Contact cgo. We have atleast 2 10foot pallet Jack's still in wrapping. We'll send you 1. We find that a 10foot pallet jack can't be turned in a trailer and is too long for a lift gate. Also completely useless when u ou deliver the oversized
Contact cgo. We have atleast 2 10foot pallet Jack's still in wrapping. We'll send you 1. We find that a 10foot pallet jack can't be turned in a trailer and is too long for a lift gate. Also completely useless when u ou deliver the oversized skids.
remember we are curbside drop it in the street and let it eat. Dont scratch their driveway or garage

I can say I do not like the oversized freight, but ABF has turned this freight into a goldmine with proper pricing. I’ve been here 15 years & they never backed away from it….
Yes ABF loves the long and odd shaped freight see it so much everyday and they make it work. Also ABF only LTL carrier that offers flatbed. Pick up the long freight on a flatbed load into a pup deliver on a flatbed.

This is a link to the T-Force Tariff, these are the rules that shippers agree to when tendering freight to T-Force. You can find all the answers here to pick-ups, delivery's, packaging, load handling, etc.

Page 35- This is interesting with regard to allowable time per weight at a stop, the "what's taking so long". Take 90 minutes to unload a 5000lb. shipment and see how dispatch reacts.
Page 38- Impractical operations. Seems like 30% of our stops fall under this.
Page 45- Extreme length. Describes what is extreme length.
Page 47-50- The most important section for P&D drivers to be aware of. Read this carefully especially sections 3 & 6 and 753a.
This is the Company's own words and rules, you should be aware.
There are other things in there that affect you duties, I only pointed out the ones that relate directly to the above thread. Read the thing, it will help.
P M me for more direct questions, if I don't know I can usually find out.
Be safe.............

https://www.tforcefreight.com/ltl/apps/RulesTariffs