Looking for feedback from drivers

Weft

TB Lurker
Credits
I am hoping to get some input and feedback from the trucking community. I work for a company that is researching frustrations and difficulties most drivers experience. We are very much in the early stages and would love to hear from people in the industry. In addition, we are hoping to create a solution to help relieve some of these issues you face. I appreciate any feedback given and understand that your time is valuable so I will not waste your time. If you could answer a few questions and even add anything additional you feel is important I would be forever thankful.

1. Would a piece of hardware appeal to you if it would help give you visibility of other trucks and routes?

2. Is minimizing the time you have to wait to pick up loads from ports important? What is the average time you wait at ports? Are some ports more difficult than others?

3. Would you be interested in an App/Hardware product that included bill payment from customers, scheduling with ports and various pickups, and also have the potential to route extra loads (Uber for trucking)

Thank you for taking the time and I appreciate everything you do :)

I should mention that we're giving away our software (and hardware) to the first few folks who reach out in exchange for some feedback! Shoot me an email at [email protected] (or PM me) if you're interested!

Best,
Marc
Founder, Weft.

I am hoping to get some input and feedback from the trucking community. I work for a company that is researching frustrations and difficulties most drivers experience. We are very much in the early stages and would love to hear from people in the industry. In addition, we are hoping to create a solution to help relieve some of these issues you face. I appreciate any feedback given and understand that your time is valuable so I will not waste your time. If you could answer a few questions and even add anything additional you feel is important I would be forever thankful.

1. Would a piece of hardware appeal to you if it would help give you visibility of other trucks and routes?

2. Is minimizing the time you have to wait to pick up loads from ports important? What is the average time you wait at ports? Are some ports more difficult than others?

3. Would you be interested in an App/Hardware product that included bill payment from customers, scheduling with ports and various pickups, and also have the potential to route extra loads (Uber for trucking)

Thank you for taking the time and I appreciate everything you do :)

I should mention that we're giving away our software (and hardware) to the first few folks who reach out in exchange for some feedback! Shoot me an email at [email protected] (or PM me) if you're interested!

Best,
Marc
Founder, Weft.

Is there a reason that you had to register a second time to make a second post?

Is there a reason that you had to register a second time to make a second post?

Quick quiz: will Pro's response be positive or negative? :)

frankly.....as i had read that....i wanted to be first, in being negative...

but then i seriously thought, how much i like it here....and wish NOT to be aboard the "BAN-Wagon" like some other website...!!

but i will say this about this thread..

"HERE WE GO AGAIN..."

i am POSITIVE, that i AM negative.>!!!

Ha yes -- weft_marc is me (Marc), weft is my colleague, Ana!

I should also mention that we're not trying to sell anything -- we have nothing to sell (we're still building out a lot of things and we have hardware from another product we worked on)! We're just trying to learn as much as we can about the trucking industry and the problems that you guys have on a day-to-day basis.

Best,
Marc

Ha yes -- weft_marc is me (Marc), weft is my colleague, Ana!

I should also mention that we're not trying to sell anything -- we have nothing to sell (we're still building out a lot of things and we have hardware from another product we worked on)! We're just trying to learn as much as we can about the trucking industry and the problems that you guys have on a day-to-day basis.

Best,
Marc

do you know haw many times we get asked questions about our jobs, or how many times people that don't know jack about trucking, wanna help us..??

do they really help us..??

pffttt.....

you will move on, like the others..

seems to me that the VERY BEST people that would want to help us, is people IN the industry itself...

you could have just looked back in the past posts as well, and found a plethora of information, INCLUDING the others that want to help us.>!!!

We didn't want to disclose more about what we were doing until we got some information from you guys because that tends to skew the direction of the information we gather.

With that in mind, we've been working on Weft for about a year now (Weft - Air Traffic Control for Cargo, this is me -> https://www.linkedin.com/in/mheld) -- we have a little piece of hardware that we attach to shipping containers that gives us realtime visibility into where the shipment is (as well as the environment around it, which is particularly useful for cool chain). It's a real product, we have real customers, but we're in the middle of what we call a "pivot" (the business model changes to greater align with realities) and the pivot is pushing us towards becoming something that we've been calling "EZPass for Ports". Recently, we've been doing realtime analysis on every boat on the water for some of our customers, and we have a hypothesis that we can come full circle and help truckers to not wait at a port for as long as they do, as well as optimize throughput for ports. I could be completely wrong but I'd figure that having to wait at a port is a pain in the butt.

We're not truckers (Ana comes from the 3PL world and I come from the startup and research worlds though I studied industrial engineering for a while!) and we were hoping to validate some of our thoughts by asking you guys what your biggest problems on a day to day basis are. I'd definitely appreciate the help but understand if you're not interested!

Best,
Marc

titlest

We didn't want to disclose more about what we were doing until we got some information from you guys because that tends to skew the direction of the information we gather.

We've been working on Weft for about a year now (Weft - Air Traffic Control for Cargo, this is me -> https://www.linkedin.com/in/mheld) -- we have a little piece of hardware that we attach to shipping containers that gives us real time visibility into where the shipment is (as well as the environment around it, which is particularly useful for cool chain).
It's a real product, we have real customers, but we're in the middle of what we call a "pivot" and it is pushing us towards becoming something that we've been calling "EZPass for Ports".
We've been doing real time analysis and we have a hypothesis.
I could be completely wrong but I'd figure that having to wait at a port is a pain in the butt.

We're not truckers (Ana comes from the 3PL world and I come from the start up and research worlds though I studied industrial engineering for a while!) and we were hoping to validate some of our thoughts by asking you guys what your biggest problems on a day to day basis are. I'd definitely appreciate the help but understand if you're not interested!

Best,
Marc
We're not truckers
Noooo, really? What a shock.:nono_h4h:
Oh, sorry, I neglected the part where you studied Industrial Engineering, therefore you're OVER QUALIFIED to be here, but please do continue your queries.

The correct sentence structure would have been best presented (although some transportation engineers will not notice, as usual):

...what are your biggest problems on a day to day basis.
or
....on a day to day basis, what are your biggest problems.

I could be completely wrong but I'd figure that having to wait at a port is a pain in the butt.
When you and the lady are actually AT A PORT, give your hypothesis a go and, maybe while there, possibly (just for information gathering) TALK TO/WITH SOME TRUCK DRIVERS or is that a scary idea.
Online chatting is simple. REAL TIME in person talking is REAL TIME information gathering, but then what do I know, I'm just a Truck Driver.

The MAIN PROBLEM with Ports:
T.W.I.C., the disaster identity cards created by our fettered feral buffoons, being not recognized at Ports for which these cards were designed, so go figure.
Port Entry Permits: being a new and separate allowance to enter ports.

WHAT could really help Trucking:
There must be at least 50 pages just in The Driver's Lounge where one could easily cull information without the need to register or post questions.

Thank You, CHEERS!! :wavey:

**sometimes I take on the appearance of a pro1driver student**

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, sorry, I neglected the part where you studied Industrial Engineering, therefore you're OVER QUALIFIED to be here, but please do continue your queries.

Hey now.

I was a civil engineer once upon a time.

Like back in the 1970's.

So am I overqualified to be here? :shrug:

Oh, so it was you that tried to run him over with the truck.

yeah, you mean to say that you wanna drive with your baseball cap backwards and your pants down so low that your stinky unda-wear are showing..???.....:LMAO:

Racer.....that is a day that will live in infamy......:shift:

Noooo, really? What a shock.:nono_h4h:

The correct sentence structure would have been best presented (although some transportation engineers will not notice, as usual):

...what are your biggest problems on a day to day basis.
or
....on a day to day basis, what are your biggest problems.

When you and the lady are actually AT A PORT, give your hypothesis a go and, maybe while there, possibly (just for information gathering) TALK TO/WITH SOME TRUCK DRIVERS or is that a scary idea.
Online chatting is simple. REAL TIME in person talking is REAL TIME information gathering, but then what do I know, I'm just a Truck Driver.

The MAIN PROBLEM with Ports:
T.W.I.C., the disaster identity cards created by our fettered feral buffoons, being not recognized at Ports for which these cards were designed, so go figure.
Port Entry Permits: being a new and separate allowance to enter ports.

WHAT could really help Trucking:
There must be at least 50 pages just in The Driver's Lounge where one could easily cull information without the need to register or post questions.

Thank You, CHEERS!! :wavey:

I appreciate your brutal honesty and please forgive my colleague. He doesn't always communicate with people in the most positive way. I agree that we need to talk to truckers directly. I do not think it is scary or something we will not do. This was just a starting point to gauge what your thoughts were. I was looking for initial information and while your comments are brutally honest, they were honest and I appreciate that. We don't need sugar-coated information. Again, please forgive my colleague and I.

here's how it works
a ship with 1,000 containers comes to port
the steamship line informs the carriers and brokers
and gives them an appointment to pick them up
all 1,000 appointments are for Monday,8am
1,000 boxes are coming off a ship
there are only 700 chassis available
longshoremen ILA get 2 1/2 hour coffee breaks and 1 90 min lunch break
when you leave the port you go for a final inspection of the equipment
if there is a repair needed, you are sent to the mechanics shop
now think about this....
the inspectors and the mechanics are in the same union.......
again
the inspectors and the mechanics are in the same union......
good luck with you app

Last edited by a moderator:
after seeing that video (but also hearing of the long waits) i sure am glad i never got into container hauling.....

that, and i am a born American, not a foreigner, that doesn't know any better, and takes such a job.

I appreciate your brutal honesty and please forgive my colleague. He doesn't always communicate with people in the most positive way. I agree that we need to talk to truckers directly. I do not think it is scary or something we will not do. This was just a starting point to gauge what your thoughts were. I was looking for initial information and while your comments are brutally honest, they were honest and I appreciate that. We don't need sugar-coated information. Again, please forgive my colleague and I.

Forgiveness granted along with "I hope you two do discover the information you seek and the developing benefits generate well defined results"!
I as well do not always communicate with people in positive ways as my many posts will verify. I give a go at positive communication and sometimes merely offer sarcasm.

You two are NOT overqualified to be in any Trucking Board thread.
WE have MANY that are under qualified (and this sentence shall most assuredly generate some responses/quips/complaints/insults/the usual fodder).

Do not be strangers, WE HAVE MANY THREADS from which to garner information. :wavey::grouphug:

Hope to "see" ya later.

CHEERS!!

Hey now.

Like back in the 1970's.

NO!!

I vehemently DENY any accountability!
I would NEVER KNOWINGLY attempt to run over any person, dog, building (port-a-loo), structure (dog house) or presidente.

Hey now.

Like back in the 1970's.

NO!!

I vehemently DENY any accountability!
I would NEVER KNOWINGLY attempt to run over any person, dog, building (port-a-loo), structure (dog house) or presidente.
When, after a lobotomy, would a person then be knowing or unknowing (mental fluctuations) of any applications of, as viewed and/or recorded, misdeeds?
Who then IS Miss Deeds? Is she related to Miss Match or Miss Construed or Miss Applied?