ODFL | Looking for info on Old Dominion Linehaul

CajunRebel82

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello everyone, I'm currently a linehaul driver with Southeastern Freight (SEFL) out of the Baton Rouge, Louisiana service center. Joined SEFL in January thinking I was going to be a system wild driver (out 5 days at a time), but that position was eliminated at the Baton Rouge terminal. I'm now out maybe 2 days a week, mostly home every day which is limiting my miles to 2000-2500 a week. Usually, I'm on the lower side of that range. SEFL is a good company, I just feel like I'm not able to maximize my time with them.

I'm looking at possibly moving to another LTL carrier for linehaul within the next few months (or whenever there are openings). How is Old Dominion as a linehaul driver? Would I be able to run the road as I want? Also, how are the pay and benefits? I would join the Baton Rouge terminal, anyone work out of that terminal that could share personal experience with the Baton Rouge terminal.

I appreciate anyone's experience and info. Have a great day.

Cajun

Hello everyone, I'm currently a linehaul driver with Southeastern Freight (SEFL) out of the Baton Rouge, Louisiana service center. Joined SEFL in January thinking I was going to be a system wild driver (out 5 days at a time), but that position was eliminated at the Baton Rouge terminal. I'm now out maybe 2 days a week, mostly home every day which is limiting my miles to 2000-2500 a week. Usually, I'm on the lower side of that range. SEFL is a good company, I just feel like I'm not able to maximize my time with them.

I'm looking at possibly moving to another LTL carrier for linehaul within the next few months (or whenever there are openings). How is Old Dominion as a linehaul driver? Would I be able to run the road as I want? Also, how are the pay and benefits? I would join the Baton Rouge terminal, anyone work out of that terminal that could share personal experience with the Baton Rouge terminal.

Cajun
Freight is sketchy right now. If you hired on you'd be extra board. You may not get any more miles than you currently are. Some terminals allow bag runs. Due to truck shortages and other reasons, some don't. Takes two years to get top rate which will be .7688 cpm starting next month. Benefits range from free for single to $87.60/wk for spouse and family.

Your best bet would be to call and talk to the terminal manager

Cajun
OD is very slow right now. We are never this slow in August. I hate to think what this winter is going to be like. Reminds me of 2008/2009. If you are working consistently at SEFL, I’d stay there and ride the winter out at least.

Cajun
If ODFL has an opening, out in for it.

You can always decide after they review your application.

Great company with one possible caveat - its health-insurance is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

to be honest, it's best to wait it out and stay where you are at! I tried to get on with SEFL years ago, but their 'police training survey' asking you the same questions worded differently 20 times, made me think they REALLY don't trust their employees. Right now OD had a bunch of layoffs so they aren't hiring, but you never know? I waited from 2014-2020 for an opening and got lucky and got the call. Best of luck in whichever happens to you!