FedEx Freight | Low Starting Pay

screweddaily

TB Lurker
Credits
My location starts out at $21.18 for city and there's over a $6 gap between starting pay and top pay for city. That being said, we are short drivers and the tm claims we don't have many applicants. How does fedex expect to attract drivers with such a low starting pay? Are any of you seeing this where you're at? Do you think we could see another pay raise this year?

My location starts out at $21.18 for city and there's over a $6 gap between starting pay and top pay for city. That being said, we are short drivers and the tm claims we don't have many applicants. How does fedex expect to attract drivers with such a low starting pay? Are any of you seeing this where you're at? Do you think we could see another pay raise this year?

LOL! Ah, no. FedEx, if nothing else, is rigid. That could change, but I doubt it. Performance doesn't mean ::shit::. Seniority means climbing the ladder to top pay. Like it does throughout this industry.

What is your location?. I have apps in for a couple positions in FL and can't hear anything back about them. $21 an hour to start would a dream compared to what other non-LTL companies are paying.

If you could, please tell us who STARTS their drivers at a higher wage. I am curious. Also, who else offers insurance as early as 30 days after starting? Ad in the overtime factor and FXFE is very competitive, for a new hire, IMHO.

Have not looked at the newest contract for UPS Freight, but the last one had a starting wage of 17 something, and in most areas they have the highest top scale wage. Not everywhere, but most places, geographically.

Where we lose the edge is in the top scale at many low GPD locations. Sadly, it all depends on location, especially in attracting veteran (experienced) LTL drivers.

If you could, please tell us who STARTS their drivers at a higher wage. I am curious. Also, who else offers insurance as early as 30 days after starting? Ad in the overtime factor and FXFE is very competitive, for a new hire, IMHO.

Have not looked at the newest contract for UPS Freight, but the last one had a starting wage of 17 something, and in most areas they have the highest top scale wage. Not everywhere, but most places, geographically.

Where we lose the edge is in the top scale at many low GPD locations. Sadly, it all depends on location, especially in attracting veteran (experienced) LTL drivers.
But they still claim driver shortage, and most any LTL will not start a guy with even 10 plus years experience at top scale. So the ATA, and the rest of those industry analysts can do you know what with their driver shortage estimates. No company in LTL has ever advertised, top starting scale for experienced drivers. At least not in the last 20 years.

UPS Parcel is still offering $18/ hour to start. That's for the 1st year, 4 year progression. As far as starting pay and progressions go, FedEx Freight is fine.

Yeah, what you said.

FxF top out is a joke, but their starting pay is competitive.
Upsf starts at a solid $3hr less than FxF.

But, as said, if FxF, or anyone for that matter, wants to secure new, and long term talent, they better get with the times, and up EVERY aspect of the pay scale in addition to bringing every location up to the same top pay scale.
Guys 20min away, making $2.50hr more is absurd.

In my area, Saia, Pitt, XPO, OD, and Estes all have a higher starting pay, at least 1 on the list is almost 3 an hour more and most are closer to 2. There is not as much of a gap between starting pay and top out. Pitt pays their insurance 100%. I left a failing ltl when I came to fedex and know guys who went to all of them. The last pay raise, only the those at top pay got the full amount, which widened the gap. If they would bump all 3 levels up they could actually attract more people from others LTLs allowing them to hire the most qualified drivers, while also hurting the competition

But they still claim driver shortage, and most any LTL will not start a guy with even 10 plus years experience at top scale. So the ATA, and the rest of those industry analysts can do you know what with their driver shortage estimates. No company in LTL has ever advertised, top starting scale for experienced drivers. At least not in the last 20 years.

Southeastern will start a driver at top pay if you have years of experience

The first ltl company that starts wages based on actual ltl experience will be the company that gets the quality drivers they want and need. Doesnt OTR companies start their pay based on experience?

The first ltl company that starts wages based on actual ltl experience will be the company that gets the quality drivers they want and need. Doesnt OTR companies start their pay based on experience?

They do, but at my company you are talking about a range of 37-42 cpm. Or in other words, not enough to be a factor when choosing where to work.

Sure they do. Most advertise it something like this.
Up to 43-50 cents per mile based on experience,AND in the fine print;
Top scale after 5 years
Sign on bonus with so many strings attached, you better have a lawyer read it first before signing...
1 day off for every 14 out...

True. But...

What happens when you start offering THE top rate to new hires with experience? Current veterans will be a little disgruntled, since they had to do their time to make top rate.

Thinking out side the box, perhaps more than 5 years could qualify a start at the 2nd tier rate. 10 or more could start at the 3rd tier rate, meaning only 1 year away from top scale. This might attract experienced drivers who, it could be argued, deserve more than a guy with only the current minimum 1 year experience. Just an idea for a solution to the current challenge...

The difference this would make is pretty clear in this chart, copied from another thread:
lJuvFGH.jpg

I seem to recall OD being said to start you at your current rate. This would work out to a dovetail of sorts, since their rate is higher than many. Not bad method of smoothing the transition.