FedEx Freight | Lunch Breaks

No, you don't have to take a break at the hub. Your dock time will satisfy any legal requirement for a break, except for certain states like New York and California.

The problem with the shuttle runs is if they cut you at your show time and somebody is waiting for that trailer, they're expecting you to arrive at a certain time. Now you're holding up that driver waiting for that freight, be it p/d or a road run with a meet.
Well said… thanks

Question: can fedex Make you take your lunch break at the hubs? I don’t see it in the policy!!!
Bottom line is driver. You are the captain of your ship! Take your lunch when you want. If they give you grief say you got fatigued and took a safety break. They are numerous drivers in Nashville that take hour naps on way back that management has tried to write them up and HR said no. All because they driver claimed fatigue.

Once you have 30 minutes on duty time under new hours of service and your lunch break is met.

Sounds like local management is just trying to bluff people so they can get their freight back quicker. I myself don't take lunches when I was on hub runs. I used new rule to get out of it, but if you are hungry take your lunch.

Bottom line is driver. You are the captain of your ship! Take your lunch when you want. If they give you grief say you got fatigued and took a safety break. They are numerous drivers in Nashville that take hour naps on way back that management has tried to write them up and HR said no. All because they driver claimed fatigue.

Once you have 30 minutes on duty time under new hours of service and your lunch break is met.

Sounds like local management is just trying to bluff people so they can get their freight back quicker. I myself don't take lunches when I was on hub runs. I used new rule to get out of it, but if you are hungry take your lunch.
Once you claim FATIGUE, now they come at you with why haven’t you got your proper rest before returning on duty?

Once you claim FATIGUE, now they come at you with why haven’t you got your proper rest before returning on duty?

Management shouldn't say anything for you getting back late. You can claim fatigue, but that can start a chain of events you don't want to unleash.

When I first started out and I was covering shuttles, I'd always stop on my way back. I'd pull into the rest area with the dunkin and go get my coffee. One day while I'm driving back, my DDI calls me and tells me to clock into education and meet him in the class room when I get back.

He drew out this whole presentation on the board and explained how being late creates a ripple in everyone else's day. The city driver gets back later, so does the am meet road driver and the driver he's meeting. The idea was to be considerate to the next guy and treat him the way you'd want him to treat you. Having been that AM guy waiting for freight, I get it.

Apparently, a lot of guys we're complaining about the time I got back. It was at a point where they wouldn't let me get out of my truck when I got back. They'd do all the unhooking for me, all I had to do was drive. I never heard anything about it from management, but management was hearing it from those guys.

If I'm bringing something back somebody is waiting for, I won't stop. We spend enough time at work, I don't want to unnecessarily prolong someone else's day for my own selfish reasons.

I’m on a hub turn. It usually takes me 12-14 minutes to drop out and if I’m not dispatched already, I’ll immediately take 30 minutes and start my delay at that time. I’m already ahead with getting paid 30 minutes for only about 15 minutes of work and I’m not going to risk my job over a few dollars.

I’m on a hub turn. It usually takes me 12-14 minutes to drop out and if I’m not dispatched already, I’ll immediately take 30 minutes and start my delay at that time. I’m already ahead with getting paid 30 minutes for only about 15 minutes of work and I’m not going to risk my job over a few dollars.
This is the correct way

This is the correct way

Doesn't say anything about a break in the delay pay policy. It says to take the time for task pay and follow break policy (see break policy).

Break policy says follow FMSCA rules. It says "on duty not driving" will satisfy a break period as long as there is no driving taking place.