R&L | Lytek Camera

I've been riding with mine for three weeks now. No feedback from company at all. True to their word , driver facing camera is physically blocked off. Forward facing only.

One thing I like about R+L is that they don't really seem to pick on the drivers. As long as you get your ::shit:: done and don't hit anything they leave you alone, as long as you do your job right, they're not gonna tell you how to do it. I think they may just be using the cameras for super major incidents and accidents. The terminal north of me seems to have them on most trucks, they've had them for almost 2 months now, and the linehaulers that have come in have told me that they haven't heard any feedback from management on their driving. Hopefully it stays this way.

I've been riding with mine for three weeks now. No feedback from company at all. True to their word , driver facing camera is physically blocked off. Forward facing only.
There was a little confusion in the meetings about what they are watching. Is speed a factor they are watching or no?

By the way, for those interested, we don't remove threads or comments on this page because corporate doesn't like something. They are most likely and definitely watching but they have zero input here.

There was a little confusion in the meetings about what they are watching. Is speed a factor they are watching or no?
At SAIA ... Speed is a factor. If the speed limit is 60 and you hit 76 it will trigger an event and download it to Lytx for review. SAIA would give you 15 over but not 16. Now this is SAIA. R+L sets up there own limits. Now since R+L doesn’t have the driver facing cameras activated it really wouldn’t matter. They have the truck number and who’s driving it. FYI. And the GPS or other technology knows what the speed limits are either by the cameras reading them or simply the GPS knowing. No one really knows but Lytx or perhaps the company and their not saying.

Last edited:
I have a single axle Pete with the wingman system. The wingman dings if more than five over and not decelerating when it registers a speed limit sign. As I understand it, that would be a triggering event for the camera but the status lights on the camera that indicate if it's recording are located by the driver facing lens which is covered by the plastic cover that blocks the lens. So no way to see what the camera is doing in real time. No coaching or anything yet so I guess time will tell in the speed issue.

Also, mine will misinterpret reduced speed ahead signs as actual posted limit sign and go off. It would seem to me that would be a lot of false alarms to sift through. I can't imagine they are reviewing every incident it triggers. There's also a nice feature that has ability to record an event at drivers discretion. Say someone cuts you off and brake checks you but not enough to trigger automatic recording, you can hit a button on the camera that will record the thirty seconds before and after you hit button and flag it as a review

Thanks for the info. I too have a new single axle pete so I totally agree on everything you wrote. We don't have the Lytex or the new tablets yet.

At SAIA ... Speed is a factor. If the speed limit is 60 and you hit 76 it will trigger an event and download it to Lytx for review. SAIA would give you 15 over but not 16. Now this is SAIA. R+L sets up there own limits. Now since R+L doesn’t have the driver facing cameras activated it really wouldn’t matter. They have the truck number and who’s driving it. FYI. And the GPS or other technology knows what the speed limits are either by the cameras reading them or simply the GPS knowing. No one really knows but Lytx or perhaps the company and their not saying.
15 over is a DOT offense

Why have a driver facing camera, at all, unless, at some point, you are eventually going to use it. Insurance money talks and true to their word walks. Good luck and be safe.

Why have a driver facing camera, at all, unless, at some point, you are eventually going to use it. Insurance money talks and true to their word walks. Good luck and be safe.
Thanks. The explicitly stated that in the company newsletter that if a driver has repeated events, say following too closely , that the driver driver facing camera would be activated . The camera has a plastic cover that has cutouts for access to buttons for driver activated on demand recording and covers the driver facing lens. If they want to , they can replace that cover with one where driver facing cam is not covered and can be used to record in cab images . It's kind of like a hard cover for an I Phone, the access to buttons can be accessible or not depending on the cover.

By the way, for those interested, we don't remove threads or comments on this page because corporate doesn't like something. They are most likely and definitely watching but they have zero input here.
The word out on the street some drivers are thinking about a Union , because of not getting overtime . is this true ?

Some of ours showed up yesterday, and it has a hinged cover over the whole thing except holes for the buttons. Don’t look like the contraptions we saw in the introductions.

The word out on the street some drivers are thinking about a Union , because of not getting overtime . is this true ?
Doubt it but then again with more pressure put on city drivers to make the unrealistic numbers look good and linehaul pay is way below the competition plus all the free time donated it's possible.

Doubt it but then again with more pressure put on city drivers to make the unrealistic numbers look good and linehaul pay is way below the competition plus all the free time donated it's possible.
No, there’s only more pressure on SOME of the city drivers. The others, that is, those that are well known to be slackers especially the ones belonging to protected classes can and will continue to ride on the rest of our coat tails doin the usual nuthin they always did with the company’s blessing.

Well it’s finally happening, drivers have been getting talked to about not stopping completely and behind the line on stop signs, not stopping completely behind cross walks, and speeding. Kinda sounds like R+L wants to be the traffic police like saia. This is a good way to **** off a lot of Veteran drivers if they keep this up, if you have a long time driver with a good record, a smart company would leave them alone.

Well it’s finally happening, drivers have been getting talked to about not stopping completely and behind the line on stop signs, not stopping completely behind cross walks, and speeding. Kinda sounds like R+L wants to be the traffic police like saia. This is a good way to **** off a lot of Veteran drivers if they keep this up, if you have a long time driver with a good record, a smart company would leave them alone.
They start messing with me I'll procedure them to death. I'll bleed 'em dry. I'm not the type to milk the clock. I run effeciently and effectively. I get my deliveries off and pickups on. Sometimes that means improvising and adapting on the fly. I don't cut corners on safety but I do things my own way sometimes. They start nit picking me with that damn camera, that way of operating will come to a screeching halt.