Maislin

Hookman

Just passing thru on my way home
PREMIUM
Credits
Personally I don't know much about these folks as they were east coast & Canada. Maybe Triplex will jump in here & give us the lowdown.

maislin-cl-9000.md.jpg Disclaimer: personally I had nothing to do with their demise. :1036316054:

Personally I don't know much about these folks as they were east coast & Canada. Maybe Triplex will jump in here & give us the lowdown.

maislin-cl-9000.md.jpg Disclaimer: personally I had nothing to do with their demise. :1036316054:
How about Tri?
One never knows!

Wow, my old stomping grounds! How cool is this? I'm a little behind and didn't see this till this morning. Maislin was a fantastic job until the last few years before the end (1983). Back in the 1970's until the shut down, they were the most seen units on the New York Thruway. Maislin was the king of international trucking between the US and Canada in the Northeast until deregulation. I was a road driver there in New Jersey (East Rutherford then Kearny) from 1974 till the end. In fact I drove that very tractor (7176) many times. If I'm not mistaken it was the only one with a Cat engine instead of the 290 Cummins which was pretty much standard for Maislin road tractors. Didn't much care for the odd throttle response with the Cat engine as I recall. Lot's of good stories about Maislin as soon as I can get my memory working correctly. :smile new:

PS - Any questions about Maislin, ask away. If I don't know the answer I'll just make something up! :438:

Last edited:
Wow, my old stomping grounds! How cool is this? I'm a little behind and didn't see this till this morning. Maislin was a fantastic job until the last few years before the end (1983). Back in the 1970's until the shut down, they were the most seen units on the New York Thruway. Maislin was the king of international trucking between the US and Canada in the Northeast until deregulation. I was a road driver there in New Jersey (East Rutherford then Kearny) from 1974 till the end. In fact I drove that very tractor (7176) many times. If I'm not mistaken it was the only one with a Cat engine instead of the 290 Cummins which was pretty much standard for Maislin road tractors. Didn't much care for the odd throttle response with the Cat engine as I recall. Lot's of good stories about Maislin as soon as I can get my memory working correctly. :smile new:

PS - Any questions about Maislin, ask away. If I don't know the answer I'll just make something up! :438:
What was hauled from Canada, Canuks & maple leafs? :1036316054:

What was hauled from Canada, Canuks & maple leafs? :1036316054:
Lots of 44/45k# loads of rolls of newsprint for one thing, machinery on flatbeds, anything and everything. In the early days of my time there, when we were coming back heavy directly from Canada or from Albany on a turn we were told to run south on the Thruway all the way to Rt 9W in Nyack and take 9W south into Jersey to I80 and then over to NJ Tpke to get to Kearny. This was to avoid the scales on Rt 17 in Mahwah which were active at the time. If you knew 9W you would realize why heavy trucks were eventually banned from that road in that area. .

Last edited:
So Maislin wasn't strictly Ltl?
They were definitely but not exclusively LTL. We pulled lots of solid loads of many different commodities. They had flatbeds and reefers for those type shipments also. They also had a heavy haul segment which ran irregular routes for that type shipment. We pulled lots of containers from the NY/NJ ports to Canada, both on chassis and on lots of times chained down on flatbeds. I think my very first trip for them was a flatbed load of pipe for Canada. Around those times we pulled many flatbed loads of road paving equipment out of Canada destined for the NY/NJ port and ultimately some foreign destination.

Slip seat at the border?
Not at all. Out of Jersey (Kearny) we ran about 30 time start Albany, NY turn bids just about every hour on the hour. We dropped and hooked loads at the Albany terminal that the Montreal Albany turn drivers brought down. Usually worked out except when Montreal drivers were delayed at Customs. Besides the Albany turn drivers we had "system" drivers who would typically run the "triangle" - to Buffalo to bed, then to Montreal to bed, then back home. As time went on we ran all over the place to all the Maislin terminals - Richmond, Norfolk, Rochester, Syracuse, Boston and many others in the Northeast. Buffalo men also ran a couple of sets of Thruway doubles. They would terminate at New Paltz, NY doubles compound area. We had two Jersey drivers on bid who would start work at New Paltz and bring the individual trailers up and back to Kearny while the Buffalo man was in bed. By the time he was finished the Buffalo driver was rested and would head back to Buffalo. Maislin had lots of interesting runs/situations and I was always willing to take on the odd ball trips just for variety.

PS - When we ran to Buffalo the loads were usually bound for Toronto. Buffalo shuttle drivers did that last leg on the clock. After the company felt they were milking the job they had us run right through to Fort Erie, Ontario so Canadian drivers would ultimately do the shuttles from there to Toronto. Sometimes we've been known to kill the goose so to speak. :smile new: