FedEx Freight | Major Malfunction

redracer3368

TB Lurker
Credits
What seems to be the back up on getting service work done? At Memphis they have over 40 trucks in shop status waiting to be serviced and they are still sending messages out telling drivers to bring thier trucks in for service. I am still waiting on a wiring harness they were suppose to order 6mos ago. The parts guy over there acts like the money is coming out of his pocket so he doesn't want to order any thing. I can't even get the right windshield wiper blades (International) ordered due to him saying they cost to much. The ones they have fit the Volvo's rather well but the International has a smaller curved windshield and when it rains real hard the wiper will only wipe off a spot about 6 inches by 8inches that you can see out of. Now my A/C is on the fritz and only blows a little cool air when it wants to. Talk about burning up....bought me a fan but they doesn't help a heck of a whole lot.
:stirthepot:

We used to take pride in our shops. Set checks kept problems off the roads. You needed a part, they usually had it or could get it quickly. Not now. If you deadline your tractor, might as well clean it out because you won't be seeing it for weeks. It frustrates our mechanics to no end. The thing is, if it's on the truck, it is supposed to work. That includes wiper blades and A/C. (Of course, those that made the decision to strip our shops of parts and bury them in forms and processes sit in climate controlled cubicles where the heat of day never reaches.)

Not to pick bones with ya' Franklin but, i have yet to read anywhere in the FMCSR book that AC is required to work on the truck.

Is it possible to take this to a higher level? Is it center related or is it company wide? Maybe someone on the local level is saving parts and service money to prop their numbers up.

Well ...guardrail ..it may not be in the dot bible ... but I've had a DOT man tell me if its on the truck ..it will be working ... I took it he ment ..anything ..which that day ..he did ... he was soooo happy with his ticket book :1sm364jumpbed:

you boys out west like to blame us ... which ..well maybe you can and should ... but we did not have this problem of no parts before fedex bought us :couch:

Not to pick bones with ya' Franklin but, i have yet to read anywhere in the FMCSR book that AC is required to work on the truck.

Is it possible to take this to a higher level? Is it center related or is it company wide? Maybe someone on the local level is saving parts and service money to prop their numbers up.

Now, would you really run up and down the road day in and day out without A/C. Common, I'll red tag mine in a skinny min.

We've got a new shop foreman in Mem, I went through to get a brake chamber the other night. They didn't have one. Had to improvise to keep from swinging the load. I asked if the parts guy was the problem. Mechanic said no it was the shop foreman, Seems "were not in the parts business". Huh! Thought we were in the trucking business though. If you can fix it in less than 30 min you ought to have the part for it. He told me they deadlined a truck last week because a headlight was out. This new guy is very by the book, I figure this is a system wide problem.

Now, would you really run up and down the road day in and day out without A/C. Common, I'll red tag mine in a skinny min.

I wouldn't take it out if it wasn't working. Let me rephrase that... if it was the only truck on the yard and it meant working or going home, I might. I wouldn't shut it down in the middle of the run because the AC quit. (I've seen it done.)

I just get a little tired of the entitled attitude I see. Some guys just don't realize how good we have it. They've never been anywhere else or it's been so long they've forgotten.

Is there a truck there to make your run? If there is, what's the big deal? We're still slip seating at my barn because we don't have enough trucks to go around. There are days that there will be 10 guys waiting for trucks or con gear to go out. We get paid for delays, so big deal.

What are we gonna do when CSA 2011 comes? If a license plate light or marker light is out that will be on the driver's record if they decide to pull it. Either swing the freight or call a vendor. Drivers will have to change what they are willing to do.

I know I've harped .. whinned ... whatever you want to call me

POST TRIP, POST TRIP, POST TRIP

If nothing else ... lights and tires please ..don't forget the tag light

non-working A-C is NOT a red tag. Just because the tractor has A-c installed does not mean it has to be operational. Remember when they used to reclass the road units? They sucked out the freon, pulled the belt and sliced a hose. Some of those old smurfs were used as spares, and actully ran better than the VN Volvos.

When you drive a truck with the cab space of about 7 cubic feet it only takes a couple ice cubes and a fan to keep it cool. :)

New shop foreman at Mem? Maybe that's the reason I can't get the right wiper blades needed for my truck. Went through the Rock the other morning and had to take a trailer through the shop for license place light (Mem was out)they fixed that light, a marker light and I got the blades I needed for my truck. Next time I will just go there instead.

the dot regulations state that if the truck came with an option it has to be on there and in good working condition.they also had to put the air conditioners back on our trucks.all road tractors from 1995(i think that was the year) and all city trucks after aroud 1998 or newer have to have ac and power steering.

New shop foreman at Mem? Maybe that's the reason I can't get the right wiper blades needed for my truck. Went through the Rock the other morning and had to take a trailer through the shop for license place light (Mem was out)they fixed that light, a marker light and I got the blades I needed for my truck. Next time I will just go there instead.

I had the same issue in Kansas City (KCY) and it has to do with how the shops charge out parts. The old way was to take mileage and tractor number and charge out the parts, now they don't "charge" wipers out anymore (like a gladhand seal, etc.) I tried for 3 days to get wipers for my Volvo and ended up getting some in Dayton when I did a layover. That's poor parts manager not keeping up on inventory.

roog