Major pileup on I-94 near Michigan City, Indiana.

So sad! The roads have just been horrible in this area all week. So cold that the salt that they put down don't work! They shouldn't even put down salt because it melts the snow and flash freezes into a sheet of ice.R.I.P to the ones lost.

how many people have to die on their roads before indiana d.o.t. starts doing a better job of maintaining and clearing snow/ice? some one should be held accountable, i'm just glad i don't have to drive thru that piece of crap state anymore.

how many people have to die on their roads before indiana d.o.t. starts doing a better job of maintaining and clearing snow/ice? some one should be held accountable, i'm just glad i don't have to drive thru that piece of crap state anymore.

Agreed. They could do a better job in the winter. You'll go from ice/snow pack covered roads in Indiana, to high, dry and dusty the moment you cross into another state.

The last time I was through Richmond on 70, the pot holes were so bad on the westbound side that there were car/truck parts scattered along the shoulder. It looked like a junk yard with all the bent rims, blown tires, lost hubcaps, wheel wells and quarter fenders scattered about.

I should add this though- That lake effect snow can be some wicked stuff. I have been caught in that many times over the years.... and sometimes there is just no keeping up with it, regardless of what state it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the busiest highways in the country as far as truck traffic is concerned, a definite PITA in the winter. Many drivers do not take LAKE EFFECT snow into consideration when traveling from Benton Harbor MI to Chicago IL.

lake effect snow absolutely sucks, i've run milwaukee to south bend several times, the indiana toll road sucks in it too. but indiana has been completely inexcusable in their road maintenance this winter. at the beginning of this month we couldn't get to indy from milwaukee on 65 for 3 days, u.s. 30 put one of our new guys on his side in a ditch and cost him his job, the toll road was screwed this past thursday and friday as well as 65 on friday. i've had no problem getting from milwaukee to anywhere in illinois

INDOT was telling people not to drive. They were issuing tickets to people not obeying their warnings.

For starters, many of these vehicles didn't need to be on the road. Next, they were driving too fast for the conditions and tailgating.

If you think you know better than the DOT and need to drive in this crap, you can at least SLOW THE HELL DOWN!