Central Transport | Major shareholder losing interest in Vitran?

Not_wanted

TB Veteran
Credits
Vitran | Press Release

Vitran Comments on Schedule 13D Filings by Clarke Inc. and Meeting With Mr. Armoyan
TORONTO, Oct. 10, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Vitran Corporation Inc. (Nasdaq:VTNC) (TSX:VTN), a North American transportation and supply chain firm, today commented on the Schedule 13D filings made by Clarke Inc. with respect to its shareholdings in Vitran.

It is important to note that Vitran believes the comments made by Clarke are mostly self-serving and are in many respects disingenuous or simply show a lack of understanding of the Company's Less-Than Truckload (LTL) services business in the United States. The Board remains firmly committed to enhancing shareholder value and will continue to pursue a business plan that will strengthen the Company's balance sheet with the goal of improving the results of the Company over the long term. The Company does not intend to address the statements set out in Clarke's filings but wishes to shed light on Clarke's request that its principal shareholder join the Vitran Board and the ongoing strategic initiatives of the Company.

Mr. Armoyan's request to join the Vitran Board

On September 19, 2012, Mr. Armoyan, the President and CEO and the principal shareholder of Clarke, met with Mr. Rick McGraw, the Chair of the Board, and requested that he be appointed to the Board. At such meeting, Mr. Armoyan also advised the Chair that Mr. Armoyan was unable to assist the Company with respect to its efforts to deal with the problems impacting Vitran's U.S. LTL services business. However, Mr. Armoyan proposed that the Company could be the driver behind a consolidation of the LTL services businesses in Canada (including such business owned by Clarke). In response to Mr. Armoyan's request, the Nominating and Governance Committee of the Company reviewed various information requested and received from Mr. Armoyan and other relevant information, and concluded that Mr. Armoyan lacked experience and expertise in the U.S. LTL business which the Committee believes is required for a nominee. Notwithstanding the Committee's view that Mr. Armoyan lacked the required experience and expertise, the Committee also considered whether Mr. Armoyan had the necessary minimum competencies, skills and personal qualities to be a director of the Company. The Committee had some concerns regarding Mr. Armoyan, but found it unnecessary to review the issues related thereto closely as it concluded that Mr. Armoyan's relationship with Clarke Transport Inc. (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Clarke and a primary competitor of the Company in Canada) disqualified Mr. Armoyan from serving as a director of the Company.

The Company had been informally searching for a candidate with experience and expertise in the US LTL business to join the Board. The Nominating and Governance Committee has recently recommended that the Board formalize this process and that the search be continued with more urgency. As a result, the Company will consult with various stakeholders, including Clarke, in connection with the nomination of such an individual to the Board.

New Strategic Initiatives

On August 28, 2012, prior to the filings by Clarke and on its own initiative, the Board of Vitran established a committee of independent directors (the "Special Committee") to oversee various matters to improve the balance sheet of the Company and enable the Company to continue to focus on its North American LTL business to which it remains firmly committed.

Please note that there can be no assurance that the Special Committee and the Company will be successful in their efforts. The Company will not provide any further information with respect to this initiative unless and until it has something definitive to report.

Let the Rich man retire in Luxury and let the former Fedex braintrust do battle with Conway, Roadrunner, Fedex,Ups and all Independent O/O who WILL work for LESS in the U.S.

Its hard to know when you should jump a sinking ship....When to just close up shop and walk away....If it was me i would cut my losses and walk away...

A lot have, and more to come if changes don't take effect. To many have put up with to much for to long, and those stuck in a wage freeze not topped out can go to other companies for a slightly less wage, but be a couple bucks an hour ahead in 24 months...........

A lot have, and more to come if changes don't take effect. To many have put up with to much for to long, and those stuck in a wage freeze not topped out can go to other companies for a slightly less wage, but be a couple bucks an hour ahead in 24 months...........

not to mention better work enviorment and better equipment, which leaves you with a better attitude and outlook both at work and at home.

Yep on that, I had less home time OTR but was happier and had the will to go do things, now, my weekends are filled with regrets of going back to work on Monday and starting another weeks worth of problems.

Clarke recommended Vitran sell it's supply chain operations and use some of that money to pay down debt and some to buy back into the business after sellling it. Clarke critisized the performance of the US side of the business and how money has been spent here. However, Clarke only sold 2700 shares and still own 1,008,417. Clarke now owns 6.2% of the company's shares. I dont think this is nearly a "sell off", but the language shows Clarke is not happy. A schedule 13d has to be filed when anyone owning more that 5% of a publicly traded company buys or sells stocks.

Thanks for this topic. I have been wanting to know who some of the investors are and how they have responded to Christ Keylon coming in.

when vitran bought pjax on 10.02.2006 the hamills got $13.2 mil in vitran stock. back then they were the biggest single shareholder of this company.

Considering what the stock price used to be, I would think they are sitting on it at a whopping losing price for the minute hoping CK can bring it back up