FedEx Freight | Mandatory Meetings

Yeah, I thought Mr. Pruitt shoulda thought first before writing that one down too. But I don’t think he’s a mean guy or wishes ill will on senior guys. I’m gonna take liberty and write what he meant to say:

Being older and starting over on a junior list, I wish I was working as many hours as these guys who can occasionally call off on some days. Especially since I am the breadwinner in the family. But I know that I will move up eventually. I remember how it works. And it’s good that these guys take off so that the junior guys are allowed to work more hours during these slow times......

BTW I’m posting this from home......on a CC day:1036316054:

I've run every kind of board you can imagine and some you probably never heard of before.
No one board will suit or fit all, a seniority board will work for the top guys but starve the lower guys when freight is slow.
Rotating or wheel lets all work, but upsets top guys who think they should work every 8 hrs.
A slide board and a preference board helps the lower guys work some, if you slide or put in a bad preference, you wind up with a lot of off time and a small paycheck.
I preferred the slide board, long as mama paid the bills.

This has to be the stupidest comment I have seen. So senior guys should work or find a part time job? Or should junior guys quit and find a job with guaranteed hours? CC Day is your choice, if it is offered, no one makes you take one.
Simple question. Did you sign up to work full time or part time? If you can afford to retire move on glad you can. cc is being offered because they overhired! Our terminal had to put more drivers on because early guys want to go home early everyday.

Yeah, I thought Mr. Pruitt shoulda thought first before writing that one down too. But I don’t think he’s a mean guy or wishes ill will on senior guys. I’m gonna take liberty and write what he meant to say:

Being older and starting over on a junior list, I wish I was working as many hours as these guys who can occasionally call off on some days. Especially since I am the breadwinner in the family. But I know that I will move up eventually. I remember how it works. And it’s good that these guys take off so that the junior guys are allowed to work more hours during these slow times......

By the way I am one or the senior guys! The point being EARLY A.M. dock/ drivers kiss ass and beg to go home early. Didn't say they were senior to me.

Simple question. Did you sign up to work full time or part time? If you can afford to retire move on glad you can. cc is being offered because they overhired! Our terminal had to put more drivers on because early guys want to go home early everyday.

Everybody signed up for full-time. FedEx hired a bunch of people because they projected a high volume of freight and then the volume dropped. Instead of laying people off, they opted to go this route. Offer some days off with no penalties, strictly voluntary. No harm, no foul.

If people want to stay home or leave early, I don't care. Doesn't affect me at all. I say let them. The fact is some people want to work and others are just waiting it out to hit top rate or gain seniority to get the gig they want. They don't mind staying home or leaving early. That's great for people that want to get a full 8 hours.

It's a smart move. It keeps them fully staffed for when they need it, it keeps operations cost down because nobody is there just milking the clock and nobody is losing their job.

Everybody signed up for full-time. FedEx hired a bunch of people because they projected a high volume of freight and then the volume dropped. Instead of laying people off, they opted to go this route. Offer some days off with no penalties, strictly voluntary. No harm, no foul.

If people want to stay home or leave early, I don't care. Doesn't affect me at all. I say let them. The fact is some people want to work and others are just waiting it out to hit top rate or gain seniority to get the gig they want. They don't mind staying home or leaving early. That's great for people that want to get a full 8 hours.

It's a smart move. It keeps them fully staffed for when they need it, it keeps operations cost down because nobody is there just milking the clock and nobody is losing their job.
good post. somebody please explain to me just exactly where were these "high" volumes of freight supposedly going to come from? The old YRC gonna close routine again? our hungry sales staff sniffing put new business? every company projects higher volumes. I had a manager tell me they want to have as much staffing as possible to avoid paying overtime. some areas there is no way to avoid it. I wouldn't have a problem with people going home early either if they let people who wanted to work later stay. problem is they see it as overtime that can be cut. first thing they do is post a job because "Early" guys want to leave before their 10 hours. Then when we put on extra head count and some "Early" guys don't want to leave because they have to maintain enough hours to keep their benefits everybody else scrambling to work 6 or 7 hours. And this co. doesn't care about seniority so if you have 7 hours and jr. man goes back out and works 8 and a half so what.

Agree 100%..

Love you like a Brother Swamp .. but my family is first. And one of those bottom guy's will screw you over in a heart beat just to get bumped up a slot.

I don't disagree... But there is more to the decision, IMHO. I think we've all been there, needing every hour possible, but... When you/we get older, and hopefully no longer have debt, we get to a point where life is too short to spend any more time than necessary at work.

As far as family, I think that if/when possible, the quality time (off) is often more beneficial. It's nice to actually attend family functions, rather than be the dad that can never be there. Often it's too busy to get a day. It's not like we're gonna eat beans, just because we take a day or two, here and there, unpaid. And again, me taking CC days might will make a difference for the bottom guy, even if he/she wouldn't return the favor. I still get some time off, which (in the end) is the one thing we don't have enough of.

good post. somebody please explain to me just exactly where were these "high" volumes of freight supposedly going to come from? The old YRC gonna close routine again? our hungry sales staff sniffing put new business? every company projects higher volumes. I had a manager tell me they want to have as much staffing as possible to avoid paying overtime. some areas there is no way to avoid it. I wouldn't have a problem with people going home early either if they let people who wanted to work later stay. problem is they see it as overtime that can be cut. first thing they do is post a job because "Early" guys want to leave before their 10 hours. Then when we put on extra head count and some "Early" guys don't want to leave because they have to maintain enough hours to keep their benefits everybody else scrambling to work 6 or 7 hours. And this co. doesn't care about seniority so if you have 7 hours and jr. man goes back out and works 8 and a half so what.

I didn't say freight volumes were going to increase. I said they projected an increase, but it ended up dropping. I agree with everything you're saying, but we're here now. If people want to stay home or leave early, let them. I often get sent home early against my will, but I've learned to accept it. I'm so tired of reaching out to the ethics people. Nothing has been done and nothing will be done.

I understand that as time goes on, I get more options so that's what I'm doing. Stick it out and be a nuisance to certain people until things start to go my way. Until then, we have to do what we can to help each other. I'll stay home a day because I'm doing well enough to get by. I'm not doing great, but we'll enough. The bills are paid, there's food in the fridge, I'm maxing out my 401k and putting 40 a week in savings. My take home is under 600 a week, and I manage.

I choose to focus on the positive and it makes life a lot better. I like the people I work with, I have a bunch of decent raises coming to me and I have an awesome wife. Now I'm getting penalty free days off. If I focused on the negative like working 6 or 7 hours a day, ops managers that suck, crappy insurance and PTO system then I'd be miserable all the time. Life is too short for that.

I don't disagree... But there is more to the decision, IMHO. I think we've all been there, needing every hour possible, but... When you/we get older, and hopefully no longer have debt, we get to a point where life is too short to spend any more time than necessary at work.

As far as family, I think that if/when possible, the quality time (off) is often more beneficial. It's nice to actually attend family functions, rather than be the dad that can never be there. Often it's too busy to get a day. It's not like we're gonna eat beans, just because we take a day or two, here and there, unpaid. And again, me taking CC days might will make a difference for the bottom guy, even if he/she wouldn't return the favor. I still get some time off, which (in the end) is the one thing we don't have enough of.
That's all good . But I take the punches so they don't have too . The weekend is family time for me. When times were hard I did the two jobs. Put my self in a position thank God I don't have to do that anymore. But it's just the way we are wired I guess....... P.S your probably saying what your doing on TB on the weekend then. I'm waiting for my wife to get ready LOL.. have a good weekend everyone.

so the senior guys should just work 6 hours a day to maker sure the junior guy works? not my fault they've over hired. I've been laid off several times in my LTL career. Go get a second and or third job. I did.
Every LTL I’ve worked at (2 Union, 1 non) has implemented the CC rule (Company Convenience). If we were slow on any given day, they’d start at the top of the seniority list and ask guys if they wanted to sit home. In that event we had the option of burning a sick/vacation day if we wanted to. Being on/near the bottom of the list sucks, but we’ve all been there. You do your time, then move up. That’s the way it works.

No company wants to pay overtime. So by your reasoning you should be able to work as much overtime as you want? I signed up for a job, that’s it.

No company wants to pay overtime. So by your reasoning you should be able to work as much overtime as you want? I signed up for a job, that’s it.
Show me where I said I should work as much overtime as I want. I'm simply saying as one of the senior men I shouldn't have to sacrifice be cause others go home at the drop of a hat. They expect everyone else to do likewise. And if overtime happens it should be offered in seniority order.

Every LTL I’ve worked at (2 Union, 1 non) has implemented the CC rule (Company Convenience). If we were slow on any given day, they’d start at the top of the seniority list and ask guys if they wanted to sit home. In that event we had the option of burning a sick/vacation day if we wanted to. Being on/near the bottom of the list sucks, but we’ve all been there. You do your time, then move up. That’s the way it works.
Nobody's arguing what CC means. I've worked 2 union 2 non as well. Other problem is they don't offer CC in seniority order. Not near the bottom

I didn't say freight volumes were going to increase. I said they projected an increase, but it ended up dropping. I agree with everything you're saying, but we're here now. If people want to stay home or leave early, let them. I often get sent home early against my will, but I've learned to accept it. I'm so tired of reaching out to the ethics people. Nothing has been done and nothing will be done.

I understand that as time goes on, I get more options so that's what I'm doing. Stick it out and be a nuisance to certain people until things start to go my way. Until then, we have to do what we can to help each other. I'll stay home a day because I'm doing well enough to get by. I'm not doing great, but we'll enough. The bills are paid, there's food in the fridge, I'm maxing out my 401k and putting 40 a week in savings. My take home is under 600 a week, and I manage.

I choose to focus on the positive and it makes life a lot better. I like the people I work with, I have a bunch of decent raises coming to me and I have an awesome wife. Now I'm getting penalty free days off. If I focused on the negative like working 6 or 7 hours a day, ops managers that suck, crappy insurance and PTO system then I'd be miserable all the time. Life is too short for that.
Glad thing are going good for you! Me as well. I'm one of the senior guys and as one I expect it to count for something. Im in good financial shape and would like to make good bank the last 5 or 6 years. They base your social security on your best 30 years. Don't plan on the last 5 pulling that number down.

Show me where I said I should work as much overtime as I want. I'm simply saying as one of the senior men I shouldn't have to sacrifice be cause others go home at the drop of a hat. They expect everyone else to do likewise. And if overtime happens it should be offered in seniority order.
Exactly! Senior guys SHOULD have the choice. Mgmnt should follow the seniority board when determining who stays or goes home. You wanna stay, then stay...it should be your choice. It was about 50/50 for me when climbing the ladder. I was actually pleasantly surprised most* evenings when the senior guys elected to stay and finish the outbound shift.

*=NEVER on Friday night.