Massive rail strike next week could deal another blow to America's economy

"a key dispute is not over pay, but rather the rules controlling worker scheduling. Many of the engineers and conductors who make up the two-person crews on each train have to be “on call” to report to work seven days a week, preventing them from making their own plans, depriving them of time with their families and creating a high turnover rate."

I heard Yellow's road operation is like this too.
I'm not road. Don't know if the whole operation iß the same nationwide. Is it true that Yellow road is on call 7days/week?
Or are just some guys on call or some Locals on call 7 days/week?

But if it is.....Yellow comes back whenever they feel like it to ask for concessions and change operations and mess up everybody's lives.

A good union would see this as a time to change that when you have a little leverage.
Both unions could help each other by saying " Hey Yellow we'd like our road not to be on call from hire date to retirement. It's retarded.
Let's sit down and have a talk....not at contract time....but right now while we have leverage which we never have.

Sort of a change of ops......for us....on our schedule."

Ooooooohhhhh nooooooo.
We can't do that!
Only the company can do whatever they want.

Even if they force them to work they will work real slow and sabotage send train cars to wrong cities.
Looks like Congress could somehow force but it's getting close to the expiration date of Biden s cool down period. Then we'd see if Democrats really favor unions....which I doubt they do....they just want money and votes.
Biden will probably extend it past the elections to avoid that being shown.

He is bringing Hyundai to Savannah Georgia.
How much do you want to bet that he,nor the Democrats, will help the UAW get into that plant?

Looks like Congress could somehow force but it's getting close to the expiration date of Biden s cool down period. Then we'd see if Democrats really favor unions....which I doubt they do....they just want money and votes.
Biden will probably extend it past the elections to avoid that being shown.

He is bringing Hyundai to Savannah Georgia.
How much do you want to bet that he,nor the Democrats, will help the UAW get into that plant?
People are stupid the German carmakers wanted the Union in their plants in the southern states so they can operate them like in Germany where Unions and Management work together it's not an us against them mentality in Germany like here in America with Unions.

People are stupid the German carmakers wanted the Union in their plants in the southern states so they can operate them like in Germany where Unions and Management work together it's not an us against them mentality in Germany like here in America with Unions.
Yes. Volkswagen wanted them. But Tennessee GOP did not.
And made it so it didn't happen.

All foreign carmakers in America are nonunion, are they not?

Corrupt government pretends to work for unions but destroys us every chance they get.
They work for corporations.
What union worker would really want their healthcare replaced?
That was all about one day saving union corporations on their healthcare bill once it becomes a total national healthcare system.
Well lose our healthcare. The companies won't have the bill anymore. And won't make up the pay saved by giving that hourly cost back to us.
Plus we'd be paying taxes for it.
Obamacare was a corporate bailout eventually...if it goes to total national healthcare......and the unions supported and sold it.
Why should we care if nonunion people are mandated healthcare? Let them join the union if they want insurance.,.
Nope....give our selling points to the communists in DC.
And get nothing in return.

"a key dispute is not over pay, but rather the rules controlling worker scheduling. Many of the engineers and conductors who make up the two-person crews on each train have to be “on call” to report to work seven days a week, preventing them from making their own plans, depriving them of time with their families and creating a high turnover rate."
I remember going through that during my OTR years and we weren't even union. Get home take a nap and dispatch was on the phone with another super hot load. Gotta roll. Trains are the same way. No money being made sittin still.

Teamsters Rail Division is involved in this group.
Here is the groups take on it.
Good read.

No President wants a bad economy.
I think the Rail Teamsters and the other unions will see Biden bully them into keeping their economy going....and it has already been really bad.

They'll get the big thanky you for your vote and contributions ..... but get back to work....or don't even think about striking.

No President wants a bad economy.
I think the Rail Teamsters and the other unions will see Biden bully them into keeping their economy going....and it has already been really bad.

They'll get the big thanky you for your vote and contributions ..... but get back to work....or don't even think about striking.
No President wants a bad economy? Come on man. Haven't you been watching the news? Obiden is doing everything possible to kill our economy.

I don't know if that could happen here. We're used to our union leaders being self serving bigmouthed blowhards that do very little.