R&L | MDT communication system

R&L_PHI

TB Lurker
Credits
Just wondering how this is working out for terminals already using it. Our terminal is supposed to be hooked up by end of month. Just want to hear the good and bad about it. I guess they will be installing microphones in the truck.

What he means is you'll be able to talk to your dispatcher through the fax machine. It will have a microphone attached. If your TM is smart the first ones to get those will be the ones who go the farthest.

thanks sling well here in indiana no one has them yet i have one of the longest runs so maybe ill get one be glad to get rid of company radio junk.so what they starting out east working way west anyone heard

you will have cb-type mike to talk to dispatch which will be hooked up to fax machine, also will be able to tell where you are on your run with gps. system works on satilite signal. sometimes connection is crap, and there is often a one to two second delay on transmission. quite annoying at times.

Are you sure its voice communication? I thought it was all going to be touchscreen! Pickups were going to go directly to the P+D Route Driver through the MDT the way I heard it.

as of now it is voicecomm to dispatch, in the future it has been hinted at that it will be direct to mdt. touchscreen now is picking p/d or linehaul, bol or d/r and loging in.

Just as an FYI to all the drivers that get one of the baby monitors installed in their truck..

Yes, dispatch will know where you are all of the time.

No, you can't shut off the machine because they took out the on/off toggle switch. It boots up when you start the truck & shuts off 30 min after truck shutdown.

Yes, dispatch will be able to hear everything that is going on in the truck. Even if you are not holding the microphone. While the microphone is the same as the company radio, the push to talk switch is not used.

Yes, dispatch can listen to you without your knowledge if the MDT unit's lid is closed. If it is open, you must "see" that the touchscreen button has changed to "hangup" to know that they are there and not talking.

Did I mention you can't hangup on dispatch at will because the touchscreen is disabled while in motion?

BOL

Just as an FYI to all the drivers that get one of the baby monitors installed in their truck..

Yes, dispatch will know where you are all of the time.

No, you can't shut off the machine because they took out the on/off toggle switch. It boots up when you start the truck & shuts off 30 min after truck shutdown.

Easy way to handle that. Just unplug it.

We have had them in sleepers for a couple of months. It is a touch screen with a plug in key board. For city drivers they can plug in a fax machine. With a digital camera attached you can upload and send photos. It has a built in mic and speaker for voice communication that they claim is not hooked up yet: I covered mine with tape anyway. It locks out so you cannot use it while driving. Like the Qcomms they know where you are, how fast your going, what direction ect. I hear they will also be our electronic logs in the future.

Have not posted for awhile so I thought I would share what popped in my head while reading this. Maybe California will determine that the rattle of the MDT equipment, in the cab of the truck, has been known to cause cancer and they will pull all out, LOL.