FedEx Freight | Meal Breaks

Hey guys, how many warnings do you get before you are in critical for violating meal breaks?

I have had a few issues on meal breaks in California and have been flogged, beaten and dropped kicked to the curb.
Lets hear it for the "Purple Promise" I like to say ASTOUNDING :36: .
I went to the good old company intranet to check policy :1904:and there is nothing. If you can find something different post it, I need California or your state.
So its education by critical warning :busted: :emoticon digging: .
This is after several hours of company training and there was only one line "You must comply with your state meals rules...."

Can I be written up for a policy that is not written or part of my company education. A policy I was told about it only after I violated it by 2 minutes. :burnsauce: Dropping the mic now.

PS I like the job, benefits were quick, starting pay could be better everywhere (there is a shortage), just like all big companies there is the corporate BS. Keep your head down and get a ducks back to shed the BS like water. I can deal with most corporate yahoos. Lets face it, if I do my job and get out in an half hour I am left alone except for a message from a red shirt sitting in an air conditioned office wanting to know why I can't fit one more pallet in a full truck. And I am in a black shirt, hot day (100+ degrees) with no air in my truck, wishing I had watch a little closer when Luke was using the force to levitate.
Drive safe and anybody have a video of a pallet floating I have heard of them floating down off lift gates and fork lifts but not up.

You're just going to have to learn to say "**** it". The company doesn't care if you can do more. It only cares that you take a lunch break between the 3d and 6th hour. And, no, it doesn't matter that Road Drivers get 8hrs to take a lunch. Have no idea why.

If the company would COMMUNICATE as to why there are separate meal policies for City/Road drivers perhaps it would make current policy more palatable. Pun intended.

So do yourself a favor and just logout, take the lunch and forget it. I do a delivery and then drive close-by and do lunch where I want. This is after getting a critical for having a late lunch.

Last edited:
You're just going to have to learn to say ":censored: it". The company doesn't care if you can do more. It only cares that you take a lunch break between the 3d and 6th hour. And, no, it doesn't matter that Road Drivers get 8hrs to take a lunch. Have no idea why.

So do yourself a favor and just logout, take the lunch and forget it. I do a delivery and then drive close-by and do lunch where I want. This is after getting a critical for having a late lunch.

I am over the Corp BS. I have learned, I have left customers to return 40 min latter to finish the delivery. I showed up and the customers needs to find the right person to accept it and it takes too long "Sorry I need to take lunch, be back in forty". I have been under 10 minutes to get to a time sensitive delivery and stopped to have lunch only to miss the time slot and returned with the freight in the trailer.
At other work I have always had the attitude of "Get it Done" now I apply it to my lunch and "Get it Done"

Our unwritten Lunch policy is you can't take it in your first 3.5 hours of your day and must take it by your 5th hour.
I have been buster for a late lunch and an early lunch on both I made 100% on everything. No Freight returned, busted my #$%.
You reply 3d and by the 6th hour --- this is the problem when it is a verbal policy not written one.
I now have an alarm set to my forth hour into my day and plan my lunch soon after the alarm regardless my scheduled deliveries.

I think we should all write Sacramento and ask for ample truck parking with shade and clean bathrooms all over every city in California so we can comply with the lunch rules. I won't hold my breath.

Don't start with the 12 hour second lunch rules.
Before your 9.5 hour you must know if you will exceed 12 hours and take a second lunch before your tenth.
Sorry my crystal ball broke in 2008 and I stopped using my Ouija board since it was wrong about my ex wife.
I now make my important live decisions with the Crazy Eight Ball. :wee:

Not trying to rub salt into the wounds of our great city drivers but....

FMCSA Seeking Comments on Hours-of-Service Rule Changes

https://www.trucks.com/2018/08/21/fmcsa-comments-hours-service-rule/

“The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration opened a 30-day comment period Tuesday for drivers and carriers to lobby for changes in hours-of-service rules some claim hurt their business.“

“The four specific areas considered for revision are:

• Expanding the current “short-haul” exemption from 12 to 14 hours to mirror rules for long-haul drivers.
  • Extending the current 14-hour on-duty limit by up to two hours because of adverse driving conditions.
  • Changing or eliminating the 30-minute break required after eight hours of continuous driving.
  • Reinstating the option for splitting up the required 10-hour off-duty rest break for trucks equipped with a sleeper-berth compartment.”
I urge everyone to log on and leave a comment to please get rid of the mandatory nanny break...if they want to make it optional then fine, but it shouldn’t be mandatory within the LTL industry IMO.

I am over the Corp BS. I have learned, I have left customers to return 40 min latter to finish the delivery. I showed up and the customers needs to find the right person to accept it and it takes too long "Sorry I need to take lunch, be back in forty". I have been under 10 minutes to get to a time sensitive delivery and stopped to have lunch only to miss the time slot and returned with the freight in the trailer.
At other work I have always had the attitude of "Get it Done" now I apply it to my lunch and "Get it Done"

Our unwritten Lunch policy is you can't take it in your first 3.5 hours of your day and must take it by your 5th hour.
I have been buster for a late lunch and an early lunch on both I made 100% on everything. No Freight returned, busted my #$%.
You reply 3d and by the 6th hour --- this is the problem when it is a verbal policy not written one.
I now have an alarm set to my forth hour into my day and plan my lunch soon after the alarm regardless my scheduled deliveries.

I think we should all write Sacramento and ask for ample truck parking with shade and clean bathrooms all over every city in California so we can comply with the lunch rules. I won't hold my breath.

Before your 9.5 hour you must know if you will exceed 12 hours and take a second lunch before your tenth.
Sorry my crystal ball broke in 2008 and I stopped using my Ouija board since it was wrong about my ex wife.

Truth is, the policy IS written. Again, it's in the FedEx Freight employee handbook, under meal-rest breaks. It's real specific. The policy most of us speak of is the "General" policy. You need your State specific policy.

LEADERSHIP is REQUIRED to print the break policy that applies to you, upon request. Should also be part of any coaching/corrective action.

If you catch any flack for requesting it, there is a chain of command. Education might be in order...for your leadership, more so than for you.
:rulz:
Keep us posted...

Not trying to rub salt into the wounds of our great city drivers but....

FMCSA Seeking Comments on Hours-of-Service Rule Changes

https://www.trucks.com/2018/08/21/fmcsa-comments-hours-service-rule/

“The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration opened a 30-day comment period Tuesday for drivers and carriers to lobby for changes in hours-of-service rules some claim hurt their business.“

“The four specific areas considered for revision are:

• Expanding the current “short-haul” exemption from 12 to 14 hours to mirror rules for long-haul drivers.
  • Extending the current 14-hour on-duty limit by up to two hours because of adverse driving conditions.
  • Changing or eliminating the 30-minute break required after eight hours of continuous driving.
  • Reinstating the option for splitting up the required 10-hour off-duty rest break for trucks equipped with a sleeper-berth compartment.”
I urge everyone to log on and leave a comment to please get rid of the mandatory nanny break...if they want to make it optional then fine, but it shouldn’t be mandatory within the LTL industry IMO.
Gee, kind of sounds like the Denham amendment which would do away with all breaks if the company wished. Currently attached to an FAA bill because it was previously rejected. Even OOIDA is vehemently opposed to this stating it would create indentured servants. Be careful what you wish for.

You’re getting close to understanding the Ca lunch rules. Not that hard to stay in compliance if you use the clock on your AOBRD. No lunch before your 8 hour counter hits 4:30 hours definitely on lunch before it hits 3:00 hrs. Second lunch by 10 th hour of your day, but not sooner than 3:30 hours after your first nor more than 5 hours after your first. Remember that if you waive your second lunch and took your first lunch early, you could violate the Federal 8 hour rule. Really rather simple.

Gee, kind of sounds like the Denham amendment which would do away with all breaks if the company wished. Currently attached to an FAA bill because it was previously rejected. Even OOIDA is vehemently opposed to this stating it would create indentured servants. Be careful what you wish for.
Not wishing to “do away with all breaks”, just asking that they be optional instead of mandatory.

There’s not a jury in this land that would side with a corporation for justification on termination because an employee who had been on duty for 8 hrs opted to take a 30 min meal/rest break IMO...well, except those jurors in Cali, they’re some weirdos out yonder!!

Not wishing to “do away with all breaks”, just asking that they be optional instead of mandatory.

There’s not a jury in this land that would side with a corporation for justification on termination because an employee who had been on duty for 8 hrs opted to take a 30 min meal/rest break IMO...well, except those jurors in Cali, they’re some weirdos out yonder!!

Keep this under your hat, I hear the CEO of Coop dispatch has been selected for jury duty.

You can park at the Coop Dispatch yard in Sacramento.....