FedEx Freight | Meal Breaks

Same here.

It is my experience that both the Intermec & the AOBRD must BOTH show at least 30 minutes. Usually the intermec runs faster, and you have to wait for the AOBRD to show 30 before clicking on-duty on either device, as they are linked (somewhat), which often ends up being about 30-40 seconds extra. Sometimes more...
I would definitely give the extra min or two than to have to give another 30!!

Policy says between the 3rd and 6th hour, this didn't change for city drivers, for road drivers it's before 8 hrs on duty due to federal mandate. Don't see fedex getting rid of the mandatory lunch even if it is done away with by FMSCA due to the fact that it will save delay pay spent on drivers waiting at meet points. In a perfect world drivers would pull into meets at same time or within a few minutes of each other, but we don't drive in a perfect world. IMHO it should be drivers choice but again fedex will probably still require the meal break.
We would revert back to old policy where a lunch must be taken before any delay pay kicks in. If no delay needed, no lunch needed!! :1036316054: :smilie93c peelout:

We've been told that the break has to be 31 minutes,as the AOBRD goes by seconds,and if you don't have 31, the system,show a violation
That is programing on the 31 minutes. All you or the computer has to show is 30 minutes. No less or no more required by the reg. von.

At ABF it is 8 hours road & city. Federal regulation. And you have to take it by the 8th hour or clock out & go home. Nobody does 8 & skate anymore, there is to much work. Be sure you take the full 30 minutes. With the computer seeing everything now, you have to watch the clock more than you used to. Being recorded every second you are @ work has changed the job as a truck driver & the industry more than anyone realized. Always has been a hard job & used to be you looked forward going to work each day. Not so much anymore. von.
Need to send you to D.C. to lobby for the truck driver, you make more sense in 1 post then the politicians do in 4 years.

It’s my understanding that the lobbyist (The ATA) caved on the required 30 min nanny break in exchange for getting the 34 hr reset.

I’m guessing most drivers in our industry would tell you they’d rather have an optional 30 min nanny break in lieu of the 34 reset since most of us ran many moons, often 6 days a week, without a reset and got by just fine. The required nanny break only extends our day for an unnecessary 30 mins and often puts us into heavier rush hour traffic later in the day.
They (the pencil pushers) would be surprised at the difference 30 mins can make on our day regarding traffic!!

Interesting... I can't speak for the road (but will look into it), but in the city you have to take it after 3, but PRIOR to the 6 hour mark, even if not driving after that, or even at all that day.
Once a road driver goes “on duty”, they’re NOT required to take a nanny break unless they’ll be driving AFTER the 8th hour.

Many of day I’ve went “on duty”, got my bills and got hooked, went to “driving” and hit the road. I made my run and once I’ve returned to my domicile, as long as I’ve hit the gate, got “arrived” on the intermec, and went back “on duty” before the clock struck the 8th hour, I could do whatever I needed....drop out, fuel, pound the patio for another 4 hrs (not that that ever happened) and as long as I don’t go back to “driving”, no nanny break is required.

It’s my understanding that the lobbyist (The ATA) caved on the required 30 min nanny break in exchange for getting the 34 hr reset.

I’m guessing most drivers in our industry would tell you they’d rather have an optional 30 min nanny break in lieu of the 34 reset since most of us ran many moons, often 6 days a week, without a reset and got by just fine. The required nanny break only extends our day for an unnecessary 30 mins and often puts us into heavier rush hour traffic later in the day.
They (the pencil pushers) would be surprised at the difference 30 mins can make on our day regarding traffic!!
Your making a ha ha,Red? Right? 30 minutes will cause you to be in worse traffic? Lots of people are just pissed because it is now a DOT required break,and they can’t pull the old,No Lunch thing daily,and try and get paid for it.I know the city guys at the FedEx terminal by me take lunch between 4-5 hours,and have no issues with it....

Need to send you to D.C. to lobby for the truck driver, you make more sense in 1 post then the politicians do in 4 years.
Thanks. But, there are people a lot smarter than me that are already there trying. I-95 is a cluster fu** anywhere near the D of C. The Labor force in trucking in this country needs to become a lot like the Frenchy drivers across the pond. The have in the past pressured the government to help their cause, & pretty much got what they wanted. The longshoremen union in the US is by far & away the most powerful union. But they can't help us. We as drivers union or not, company or owner operator, need to drive to the D of C & cause the worst traffic jam in the history of the world until we get what we want. But it is very hard to find 2 drivers who can agree on which direction the sun sets. Much less know what they want. Spend a couple of years making your bones in this industry & then decide to stay in it or get out of it. I think your best shot would to become a owner operator. That way you can control your future, not the company. von.

Your making a ha ha,Red? Right? 30 minutes will cause you to be in worse traffic? Lots of people are just pissed because it is now a DOT required break,and they can’t pull the old,No Lunch thing daily,and try and get paid for it.I know the city guys at the FedEx terminal by me take lunch between 4-5 hours,and have no issues with it....
Seriously, if I could turn and burn without having to take the mandatory nanny break, I could get back through town before ::shit:: hits the fan but instead the backup cost me an extra 15-20 mins...added to the nanny break and it’s a total delay of 45-50 mins that I could be off the highways sooner.

As a road driver, I’m in my bed every night and come to work daily well rested...the nanny break should be optional for the LTL industry.

I can’t speak for city drivers and their needs now but I will say back when I was in the city I enjoyed my lunch break...and it wasn't a requirement then.

Hey guys, how many warnings do you get before you are in critical for violating meal breaks?
Getting back to the original question...

2 coaching sessions, 1 written corrective, 1 critical written, 1 critical written with 3 day suspension, Termination.

The above, within a 180 day rolling window.

*If you have multiple consecutive infractions, before they speak to you, you could receive your coachings and critical written all at once.

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question...

2 coaching sessions, 1 written corrective, 1 critical written, 1 critical written with 3 day suspension, Termination.

The above, within a 180 day rolling window.

*If you have multiple consecutive infractions, before they speak to you, you could receive your coachings and critical written all at once.
Swamp, where did you get the info on the 180 day window? A guy I work with got a letter. He said 1 violation was over 1 year ago.

Thanks. But, there are people a lot smarter than me that are already there trying. I-95 is a cluster fu** anywhere near the D of C. The Labor force in trucking in this country needs to become a lot like the Frenchy drivers across the pond. The have in the past pressured the government to help their cause, & pretty much got what they wanted. The longshoremen union in the US is by far & away the most powerful union. But they can't help us. We as drivers union or not, company or owner operator, need to drive to the D of C & cause the worst traffic jam in the history of the world until we get what we want. But it is very hard to find 2 drivers who can agree on which direction the sun sets. Much less know what they want. Spend a couple of years making your bones in this industry & then decide to stay in it or get out of it. I think your best shot would to become a owner operator. That way you can control your future, not the company. von.
Damn, vongrimmenstein get out of my head there is not room for two like mind drivers, union or not, here in my head.

Thanks guys!
I asked because I have have been in the books 3 times and the last one was intentional because I didn't want to miss an appointment. Although I called my city dispatch to know if those ones have fallen off and he told that I was good to go. He thanked me for taking one for the team only to be written up the next day by the same guy. I learned my lesson. Not going to do that again.

Swamp, where did you get the info on the 180 day window? A guy I work with got a letter. He said 1 violation was over 1 year ago.
FC, it's in the FedEx Freight Employee Handbook (intranet), listed under "Meal Periods and Breaks Policy-General", bottom of page 6.

If you cannot access it, ask anyone in leadership to print it for ya. They are obligated to do so. It prints out to 9 pages, and applies to ALL hourly employees. As Red noted, Road Driver rules are a little different, and would fall under hours of service violations.

The good thing about the situation with the guy you mention, H/R would certainly review and correct the error, prior to any meaningful action being taken. Still, best to nip it in the bud early on.

Hope this helps...

:smilie93c peelout: