Yellow | Meets and Turns

Razorblade

Omniscient
Credits
Meets and turn runs is the beginning of the end. Turns and meets will mean fewer miles per driver. That is more expensive than longer layover runs. The fixed costs of a driver never change. A 650 mile trip costs less in driver cost per mile than 2 drivers doing 325 each and meeting in the middle. The meets will also end up creating lower load averages. The meets have to run even if the trailers are less than full. Eliminating motels is not about cost saving. Eliminating motels means there is not enough money to pay for motels. Consolidating terminals means there is not enough money to pay the costs of utilities and leases. This is a cash flow problem. Next you will see yards that don't get snow plowed. In short, it's time to look for another job.

Meets and turn runs is the beginning of the end. Turns and meets will mean fewer miles per driver. That is more expensive than longer layover runs. The fixed costs of a driver never change. A 650 mile trip costs less in driver cost per mile than 2 drivers doing 325 each and meeting in the middle. The meets will also end up creating lower load averages. The meets have to run even if the trailers are less than full. Eliminating motels is not about cost saving. Eliminating motels means there is not enough money to pay for motels. Consolidating terminals means there is not enough money to pay the costs of utilities and leases. This is a cash flow problem. Next you will see yards that don't get snow plowed. In short, it's time to look for another job.
Are you for real? UPS Parcel has been running meets & turns forever and they seem to be doing quite well.

You analysis is quite flawed also. A 650 trip one way needs a second 650 mile trip the other way at the same time. That's two drivers and the costs associated with them. No different than two drivers doing a meet/turn two consecutive days.

And how do you figure fewer miles per driver? The freight still has to move the same distance to get from place to place. Where do the miles evaporate according to your statement?

Last edited:
Are you for real? UPS Parcel has been running meets & turns forever and they seem to be doing quite well.

You analysis is quite flawed also. A 650 trip one way needs a second 650 mile trip the other way at the same time. That's two drivers and the costs associated with them. No different than two drivers going a meet/turn two consecutive days.
The truth will be in the result. Write me again in 6-9 months. Doors will close in less than a year.
Get ahead of the rush and get on with a profitable and secure company.
UPS Parcel is not a freight company. Look at their cost structure. UPS hubs are manned by part timers with few benefits. They work a full shift of 4 hour part timers followed by another full shift of 4 hour part timers. UPS doesn't pay unskilled inside labor the same rate as skilled professional drivers. Did you know that the UPS routing of their package delivery "cars" is such that most of their drivers never have to make a left turn? Imagine how much money is saved eliminating the wait to make a left turn when there are 105,000 delivery trucks on the road every day. Saving 5 minutes per day, per truck saves nearly 9,000 hours each day. UPS also doesn't have the massive competition or rate pressure of union freight carriers.

The truth will be in the result. Write me again in 6-9 months. Doors will close in less than a year.
UPS Parcel is not a freight company. Look at their cost structure. UPS hubs are manned by part timers with few benefits. They work a full shift of 4 hour part timers followed by another full shift of 4 hour part timers. UPS doesn't pay unskilled inside labor the same rate as skilled professional drivers. Did you know that the UPS routing of their package delivery "cars" is such that most of their drivers never have to make a left turn? Imagine how much money is saved eliminating the wait to make a left turn when there are 105,000 delivery trucks on the road every day. Saving 5 minutes per day, per truck saves nearly 9,000 hours each day. UPS also doesn't have the massive competition or rate pressure of union freight carriers.

You're deflecting. My response was to your claims about meets and turns. Respond to that please.

How is it that turns and meets are now so efficient and cost effective but were not in the past 50 years? Could it be that motels are not getting paid on time? Companies like Preston, Halls and CF went to all meets and turns combined with more direct runs and fewer breakbulks within a year of bankruptcy. All citing less handling, better service and fewer linehaul miles. It's about cash flow or a lack thereof. Combining companies into a single terminal is an attempt to fill trailers and run fewer empty miles. It's the last gasp after extending PM services to 50,000 miles and eliminating tire banks. Fuel tanks will not be topped off, potholes won't be filled and snow won't be plowed. Company mechanics will be sent to breakdowns because vendors are not being paid. Open your eyes, the end is near.

I do a meet and turn for FedEx Ground, and I see several freight companies doing the same at the exact same place where I do my meet. Yes, including YRC who are hiring linehaul drivers in my part of the country. If ODFL, Saia, FedEx Freight, Estes, UPS Freight, etc are all about to go out of business, it's news to me.

How is it that turns and meets are now so efficient and cost effective but were not in the past 50 years? Could it be that motels are not getting paid on time? Companies like Preston, Halls and CF went to all meets and turns combined with more direct runs and fewer breakbulks within a year of bankruptcy. All citing less handling, better service and fewer linehaul miles. It's about cash flow or a lack thereof. Combining companies into a single terminal is an attempt to fill trailers and run fewer empty miles. It's the last gasp after extending PM services to 50,000 miles and eliminating tire banks. Fuel tanks will not be topped off, potholes won't be filled and snow won't be plowed. Company mechanics will be sent to breakdowns because vendors are not being paid. Open your eyes, the end is near.

You still haven't responded to my original post about your meet/turn claims, drivers, mileage, etc.

Because of antiquated work rules.

When you get your new job, take pictures of your truck and post them here.

WHAT????did you hear YRCW is going to all meets and turns??? or something like that?...................................I did!

How is it that turns and meets are now so efficient and cost effective but were not in the past 50 years? Could it be that motels are not getting paid on time? Companies like Preston, Halls and CF went to all meets and turns combined with more direct runs and fewer breakbulks within a year of bankruptcy. All citing less handling, better service and fewer linehaul miles. It's about cash flow or a lack thereof. Combining companies into a single terminal is an attempt to fill trailers and run fewer empty miles. It's the last gasp after extending PM services to 50,000 miles and eliminating tire banks. Fuel tanks will not be topped off, potholes won't be filled and snow won't be plowed.lost my job in1990 Company mechanics will be sent to breakdowns because vendors are not being paid. Open your eyes, the end is near.
We did slip seats back in 1955, I lost my job in1990
I guess that was the reason.
I knew it was coming.

Because of antiquated work rules.
I hesitated saying that but it's true. Paying a yard man to do a drop and hook while also paying the driver to sit and wait cannot continue. That yard man's position should be eliminated. The only controllable cost is labor. Fewer employees means lower costs. Drivers should be doing nearly all of the stringing and hooking. Yes, they would be paid but not what it costs to have additional people. Wages are only part of overall compensation. Paid time off is totally unproductive. Eliminating a yard job eliminates vacations, holidays and sick days. No yard person means no benefit payments. Having the driver do the ancillary linehaul work does not increase the fixed costs of their employment. Doing more with less adds to a company's success and that is job security for everyone.

I guess FeDEx Freight should be closing anytime now, they have a lot of meet and turn runs. OD as well.
If the doors close in “6-9 months”, it won’t be from linehaul operations.
Non union companies are more efficient than Teamster companies. Totally different cost structures. Employee accountability and no ridiculously costly work rules like paying a road driver to sit on his butt while paying another employee to drop and hook.

I hesitated saying that but it's true. Paying a yard man to do a drop and hook while also paying the driver to sit and wait cannot continue. That yard man's position should be eliminated. The only controllable cost is labor. Fewer employees means lower costs. Drivers should be doing nearly all of the stringing and hooking. Yes, they would be paid but not what it costs to have additional people. Wages are only part of overall compensation. Paid time off is totally unproductive. Eliminating a yard job eliminates vacations, holidays and sick days. No yard person means no benefit payments. Having the driver do the ancillary linehaul work does not increase the fixed costs of their employment. Doing more with less adds to a company's success and that is job security for everyone.
If your job was being the"yardman" would you still feel that way? I doubt it. How would you like it if after youdid all of your stringing and hooking if the dispatcher told you before you leave I need you to make these 10 moves in the yard. I wouldn't ask you but I don't have a yardman and I need these done right away and the next "roadman" won"t be here until 3 hours from now. I bet you would have a different opinion of yardmen then. There are many ways this company could save money and work more efficient than eliminated jobs that are not yours.

damn.....ive been hearing that same ole bushirt line for over 16 years,,,,God,,,Just Shut the damn door!
shut your uninformed crap ideas ( in other words,your piehole) and drive!!!!

If your job was being the"yardman" would you still feel that way? I doubt it. How would you like it if after youdid all of your stringing and hooking if the dispatcher told you before you leave I need you to make these 10 moves in the yard. I wouldn't ask you but I don't have a yardman and I need these done right away and the next "roadman" won"t be here until 3 hours from now. I bet you would have a different opinion of yardmen then. There are many ways this company could save money and work more efficient than eliminated jobs that are not yours.

Roady, a good compromise might be for the yardman to be kept on to make the necessary moves at the terminal but to also help the road driver stringing his own set. I've many times gone to an EOL where the jockey has helped me by positioning the kite and spotting the dolly in front of it so I can do my own stringing a little more quickly. By eliminating the work rule which says the road driver can't do his own drops/hooks while a yard man is on duty this can be done and no one loses their job but the wasted money is reduced.

Roady, a good compromise might be for the yardman to be kept on to make the necessary moves at the terminal but to also help the road driver stringing his own set. I've many times gone to an EOL where the jockey has helped me by positioning the kite and spotting the dolly in front of it so I can do my own stringing a little more quickly. By eliminating the work rule which says the road driver can't do his own drops/hooks while a yard man is on duty this can be done and no one loses their job but the wasted money is reduced.
Triplex, I understand what you are saying but the company you work for and I retired from wastes more money every hour, day, week month and years on all kinds of stupid sh-t and then rewards the head honchos with stock bonuses. I guess I got the old teamsters ways in me but seeing the way this company operates ever since the merger leads me to believe if they elimanated 95% of the teamster jobs they would still lose money. How many change of operations have they had? How many times are they going to rebrand the company? How many terminals have they closed? When are they going to pay into the pension funds that they owe? Never! When are they going to pay back the government loan they just received? Never! When are they ever going to make a profit? Never! But keep elimanating teamster jobs that will put them in the black. Never. It hurts me to say this because I still have friends working there but the "New Yellow" has no chance of survival.