Estes | Memo is out!!!

Starkravinloon said:
Well, the memo is out on the re-bid.What your take on it?Do you think we should re-bid every year? Estes seems to be trying to bring us closer to the status quo in the freight business,in regards to linehaul procedures.Do you think that is good or bad??

Personally, I think it's the right thing to do.And I applaud "the hill" for making these moves.No *** kissin' here,just think they are moving in the right direction.

If they want to bring us closer to the status quo in the freight business they should be moving freight 24 hrs/day and that would mean putting on more daytime runs as they alluded to in their memo. If that were the case, then re-bidding every year would be the way to go as many runs will be added and others eliminated on a constant basis to keep freight moving in a timely manner and re-bidding once a year would be the fairest way to go.

However, if they are going to use contractors to haul during the day than not much will change and it will just be a re-shuffling among the senior drivers with the less senior drivers never having a chance at a run till someone retires or gets fired.

However, if re-bidding becomes the "norm" then I do not believe in "bumping" as it will be only a matter of time before re-bidding takes place. I could stand to be on the extra board for a few months if my run was eliminated and re-bid for another which I would probably get.

Besides, corporate will probably allow the drivers to vote on the re-bidding as they said in their revised memo. They will mail out questionaires to drivers to see what their opinion is or it may just be a ballot. Their memo was a little unclear on this, but letting the drivers decide (due to their long standing policy of no re-bidding) is the best way IMO.

If they want to bring us closer to the status quo in the freight business they should be moving freight 24 hrs/day and that would mean putting on more daytime runs as they alluded to in their memo. If that were the case, then re-bidding every year would be the way to go as many runs will be added and others eliminated on a constant basis to keep freight moving in a timely manner and re-bidding once a year would be the fairest way to go.

However, if they are going to use contractors to haul during the day than not much will change and it will just be a re-shuffling among the senior drivers with the less senior drivers never having a chance at a run till someone retires or gets fired.

However, if re-bidding becomes the "norm" then I do not believe in "bumping" as it will be only a matter of time before re-bidding takes place. I could stand to be on the extra board for a few months if my run was eliminated and re-bid for another which I would probably get.

Besides, corporate will probably allow the drivers to vote on the re-bidding as they said in their revised memo. They will mail out questionaires to drivers to see what their opinion is or it may just be a ballot. Their memo was a little unclear on this, but letting the drivers decide (due to their long standing policy of no re-bidding) is the best way IMO.

Be patient bibba.It's coming.They are just getting everything set up.Making sure the runs will last and be beneficial.

A re-bid really would'nt matter much at my barn, we have lost most of are Linehaul runs, and added a couple hub runs and hear we might get two Utility Linehaul bids, but what good are they you wait till everyone else gets out for the week before you work?
Hell we got guys sitting home 2 or three days a week not able to get out.
When we do get out we just move all are stuff to the next biggest terminal and then they don't have anyting for you to do but sit and wait.
Must be nice to be at one of the Big terminals, all those day runs being added on.
You can thank guys like me and others at terminals outside yours for that.
I understand the changes, but man are they putting the screws to alot of guys and gals at this company.
Someday I hope they figure out what the hell they want to do.

Yea, I hear ya into. One would think if they were so successful and been in buisness since 1931 they would have it figured out by now. Ofcourse these are probably the hardest times they've experienced. I remember all the silly change's they've made when times were good. You gotta hand it to those pencil pusher's.. They know how to make it look like they know what they're doing. Job security.

so they need to get rid of outside carriers and reward as many senoir drivers with scedualed runs and rebid at least once every year to make up up for changes and cancellations that occur due to freight lane changes

only been on xtra board for 3 months now [ been doing p n d ] but even so this seems to b the fairest and eventually that could b me with alot of senoirity and low man on xtra boards running couple nights a week