FedEx Freight | Memory Lane With Bill Cherry

Settle down Red. I was concerned you’d dehydrate from the loss of fluids caused by the multiple ******* you’d give yourself by talking about your crush on Bill Cherry.

This is for Red

biJqAEv.jpg

Definitely agree with you on policies but my location around 2014 with excessive amounts of corrective actions being handed out for minor things such as return forms. And demanding the 12 and 2 delivery rule be met on 250 mile peddle runs was a little out of hand. And to be fair I shouldn’t judge on just a few hours at a dinner. I think when I started this conversation I was tying the year and leadership together. And with the freight 2020 vision it should bring more freight better pay and outstanding benefits. The drivers over years never under performed bringing great prosperity to Fedex. Seems like Fedex ceases every opportunity to offer the minimum.
I think my corporate video would have been hey team exciting times we ready to roll out our 2020 freight plan and we need our dedicated team members to make it a success we are excited to report there’s no changes in benefit premiums and information on wage increases will be released on this date. Dream world I know but I would have fully on board just like the past 22 years. But now I’m posting my options for the first time ever.

I think my corporate video would have been hey team exciting times we ready to roll out our 2020 freight plan and we need our dedicated team members to make it a success we are excited to report there’s no changes in benefit premiums and information on wage increases will be released on this date. Dream world I know but I would have fully on board just like the past 22 years. But now I’m posting my options for the first time ever.
Probably should wear my glasses when I type

Definitely agree with you on policies but my location around 2014 with excessive amounts of corrective actions being handed out for minor things such as return forms. And demanding the 12 and 2 delivery rule be met on 250 mile peddle runs was a little out of hand. And to be fair I shouldn’t judge on just a few hours at a dinner. I think when I started this conversation I was tying the year and leadership together. And with the freight 2020 vision it should bring more freight better pay and outstanding benefits. The drivers over years never under performed bringing great prosperity to Fedex. Seems like Fedex ceases every opportunity to offer the minimum.
CLT was no different in 2014 but personally I didn’t have an issue with Bill Cherry’s nitpicking policies, I didn’t think the punishment fit the crime but I didn’t break the rules either....3 pts of contact entering and exiting the truck, no problem. Shut the truck off before exiting, no problem. Use the handles on the dolly and not the frame, sure...I signed the back of the check, not the front!! I also understand the reasoning for the policies too, injuries and roll offs were out of control in those days.
What we have now is a joke and management has no one to blame but themselves!!

Probably should wear my glasses when I type
I still amazed here we are close to one of our biggest changes in the freight industry freight 20/20 and the only news on our total compensation package higher premiums, copays and a spouse fine. I know there’s a lot of unhappy employees in my region. Justified or not still unhappy.

CLT was no different in 2014 but personally I didn’t have an issue with Bill Cherry’s nitpicking policies, I didn’t think the punishment fit the crime but I didn’t break the rules either....3 pts of contact entering and exiting the truck, no problem. Shut the truck off before exiting, no problem. Use the handles on the dolly and not the frame, sure...I signed the back of the check, not the front!! I also understand the reasoning for the policies too, injuries and roll offs were out of control in those days.
What we have now is a joke and management has no one to blame but themselves!!
Good dialogue tonight and a bit funny. Yes 2020 will come and I’ll give percent but I’ll always fight for the best pay and benefits in the industry because I know my team members although with different opinions are still some of best.

Good dialogue tonight and a bit funny. Yes 2020 will come and I’ll give percent but I’ll always fight for the best pay and benefits in the industry because I know my team members although with different opinions are still some of best.
Dang where’s my glasses I’ll give a 100% I guess I should use our vision benefits

I personally miss the days of Bill Cherry...back when someone had the testicular fortitude to do what needed to be done regardless of who’s “feelings” it might hurt!!

Back when policies were actually policies and there were actual consequences for breaking said policies instead of the pansy ass way we do things today, where policies are guidelines and the only consequence is threatening someone to death with no action or recourse because someone might get their feelings hurt!!

The patients have ran the asylum for far to long and it’s waaaay past time to drop the hammer on some sorry individuals, the problem is we no longer have a Bill Cherry to get the job done...unfortunately we’re now left with people in charge who have no backbone!!
Bill was an arrogant prikk. While I agree we need management to grow a set of balls and enforce the rules, we don’t ever need his way of management again.

Bill was an arrogant prikk. While I agree we need management to grow a set of balls and enforce the rules, we don’t ever need his way of management again.
Agree.

OPINION:
While I found the guy quite cool in person (purposely sat next to him at NTDC dinner), that was a very different set of circumstances. For those under his direct command, he was NOT a good fit for a Corp culture that claims to pride itself on respect, take care of your people, etc.

Cherry did what his job was, at THAT time. Force feed numbers, no matter what. AF people (again, at that time) wanted to run numbers at any cost, in order to impress FedEx Corp. Cherry used fear to motivate leadership under his command. Fear is among the strongest motivators. Everyone responds to fear, one way or another. The cost of that method comes in the form of low morale, and disgust. Eventually it becomes counter productive.

When Corp realized the depth of that problem, he was deemed a huge liability - counter to the FedEx Culture. Fall guy? Perhaps that too.

Back then, our compensation relative to the competition declined AND the treatment/tone/respect also declined. Those 2 combined to light the fuse that ignited the ticking time bomb.

QUESTIONS:
Does it seem that, despite outstanding production results (89.8% O/R), the return of declining compensation value has returned?

Might the seemingly high turnover at the Corp. Brass level be a sign that the much improved culture is ripe for another hit?

Why must the pendulum swing to such extremes? Benefit decline following record success? Really?

Opinion:
Accountability is fine (great even), as long as it's not punitive. Also, accountability works both ways...

Last edited: