Met a Ward Driver last Thursday

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,
I met a Ward driver last Thursday. We had a meet at the same stop. He was a local driver, driving one of Wards straight trucks. Said he goes on a lot of, neighborhood and house hold deliveries and into a lot of tougher and older neighborhoods that aren't conducive to big tractor trailer trucks and gets a lot of deliveries that use lift gates, because his straight truck has a lift gate. He said some of the trailers have lift gates too, but he said "I don't know why anything that ever needs a lift gate they usually give to me."

He seemed content with Ward, like it was a job like any other job.

Reactions: ESP
I worked for ward trucking from 1979 to 1994 in the Little Falls New Jersey terminal until they closed our Barn. It was the best job I ever had in trucking. I have 40 years of driving for a living. My father in-law Frank Polinik was one of the 9 original men that started with Ward when they were l located in Weehawken NJ. They later moved to Tonelle Ave.In North Bergen. NJ. We were Teamsters as drivers and the dock workers were ILA. My father in law entered truck rodeos in Pa. and came in second place for tractor trailer. I would have never left that job it was great.

I worked for ward trucking from 1979 to 1994 in the Little Falls New Jersey terminal until they closed our Barn. It was the best job I ever had in trucking. I have 40 years of driving for a living. My father in-law Frank Polinik was one of the 9 original men that started with Ward when they were l located in Weehawken NJ. They later moved to Tonelle Ave.In North Bergen. NJ. We were Teamsters as drivers and the dock workers were ILA. My father in law entered truck rodeos in Pa. and came in second place for tractor trailer. I would have never left that job it was great.
When did they get out of the Teamsters Union? I didn't know that they were ever in it.

I worked for Ward from 90-93 and the only terminal that was Union was in Little Falls, Nj. They closed that terminal after I left, not sure on the year but it wasn't to long after I quit....

When did they get out of the Teamsters Union? I didn't know that they were ever in it.
Ward in New Jersey was always a teamster job,local 560. That was the only union Barn in the system. They actually started as a reciever station in New York city.That is how the ILA had a claim also.

Hi guys,
I met a Ward driver last Thursday. We had a meet at the same stop. He was a local driver, driving one of Wards straight trucks. Said he goes on a lot of, neighborhood and house hold deliveries and into a lot of tougher and older neighborhoods that aren't conducive to big tractor trailer trucks and gets a lot of deliveries that use lift gates, because his straight truck has a lift gate. He said some of the trailers have lift gates too, but he said "I don't know why anything that ever needs a lift gate they usually give to me."

He seemed content with Ward, like it was a job like any other job.
Well I hope you at least bought him his lunch.