XPO | Miami Union

Why would someone not want workplace rules,outstanding benefits,job protection or a pension?
I don't want work rules. I think every driver should be required to do everything involving trucking including fueling, spotting trailers, hooking sets, handling freight, and anything I missed. Why do I believe this? Because that's how an LTL survives in today's business environment. The sticking point right now that Yellow is dealing with is driver intransigence and resistance to it's proposed COO, which would involve asking some drivers stepping out of their comfort zones and work on a dock. Aww the poor Yellow drivers, "We don't want to work a dock because, because all we do is drive." "It's not my job" is a poison pill phrase that's been eating away at Yellow for a long time. Job protection is fine as long as it's limited to disciplinary due process. Job protection should never be expanded to mean the company can't use sub-service to keep commitments to customers. So there you go, that's why someone, me, a driver doesn't want work rules and job protection. As for benefits and pension, of course. There is nothing wrong with an employee wanting to improve their station in life.

I don't want work rules. I think every driver should be required to do everything involving trucking including fueling, spotting trailers, hooking sets, handling freight, and anything I missed. Why do I believe this? Because that's how an LTL survives in today's business environment. The sticking point right now that Yellow is dealing with is driver intransigence and resistance to it's proposed COO, which would involve asking some drivers stepping out of their comfort zones and work on a dock. Aww the poor Yellow drivers, "We don't want to work a dock because, because all we do is drive." "It's not my job" is a poison pill phrase that's been eating away at Yellow for a long time. Job protection is fine as long as it's limited to disciplinary due process. Job protection should never be expanded to mean the company can't use sub-service to keep commitments to customers. So there you go, that's why someone, me, a driver doesn't want work rules and job protection. As for benefits and pension, of course. There is nothing wrong with an employee wanting to improve their station in life.
I work for a union carrier. We build our sets and fuel our trucks some work the dock others don't depending on their bids. P&D drivers likewise pickup and deliver freight. By your belief if the boss told you to clean the toliets or change a tire you'd kiss his a$$ and gladly go do as you're told. We don't get fired because we won't kiss his a$$ we don't get fired because we had an accident or accidentally damaged freight. We don't rat one another out hoping to move up in seniority. We don't have cameras looking at us driving down the road and can't be written up because of the forward facing one.

Are OD driver forced to work the dock???? Stock at $324 at this posting. They seem to be doing very well.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Estes, OD, and R&L don't or are not forced to work the dock. One Estes driver told me at some location they don't even have to hook there sets it is done by the jockeys. There was a time when these companies only hired drivers and had a line outside the door waiting to get in. Now drivers come in find out they got to work the dock and say no thanks and go somewhere else. Companies like OD that keep the driver's azzes in the seat of the truck and not on a forklift have put them were they are today.
This is just not Yellow it's every LTL out there. At what point do we as drivers say enough is enough. Next thing you know we will be doing the office work too. Stop putting your failures as an employer on the drivers. Ask yourself on a Friday night when the FAC is short staffed do you see SCM, DM, VPs, CSR, and Sales Reps riding forklifts???? Don't you hear we are a team??? Funny how that team goes out the window on Friday night.
The problem is this company CCX/Con-way/XPO never put any value in hiring dockworkers in the past were companies like OD ,AF/FedEx, and Estes did

Last edited:
Are OD driver forced to work the dock???? Stock at $324 at this posting. They seem to be doing very well.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Estes, OD, and R&L don't or are not forced to work the dock. One Estes driver told me at some location they don't even have to hook there sets it is done by the jockeys. There was a time when these companies only hired drivers and had a line outside the door waiting to get in. Now drivers come in find out they got to work the dock and say no thanks and go somewhere else. Companies like OD that keep the driver's azzes in the seat of the truck and not on a forklift have put them were they are today.
This is just not Yellow it's every LTL out there. At what point do we as drivers say enough is enough. Next thing you know we will be doing the office work too. Stop putting your failures as an employer on the drivers. Ask yourself on a Friday night when the FAC is short staffed do you see SCM, DM, VPs, CSR, and Sales Reps riding forklifts???? Don't you hear we are a team??? Funny how that team goes out the window on Friday night.
The problem is this company CCX/Con-way/XPO never put any value in hiring dockworkers in the past were companies like OD ,AF/FedEx, and Estes did
Well Said. Our guys are spending mega hours on the dock in both linehaul and city operations. Xpo continues to come up with more non
driving responsibilities for its drivers. ( and not just because it slow )Couple that with current Surveillance and even more stringent methods coming shortly it will be nothing short of amazing if we can retain or attract any new drivers. What are they thinking ? Fly is right on the money in this post.

Last edited:
Stock at $324 at this posting. They seem to be doing very well.
The amazing part if I remember right old Dominion stock was at $50 a share went Xpo bought us . I will have to go back and look to verify. We’ve staggered and lagged the entire time Jacobs ran the ship. My guess his intentions were to match ODFL’s stock but it never happened and he broke it up and divested. The only sure path to Xpo LTL success is to regain its former reputation ( Early Con-ways ) and build from their. This however would take upper management to invest into its employees and attract better help. Unfortunately I don’t see this happening. At this point I don’t think (because of the resistance to this ) Xpo LTL will struggle to regain its footing. Upper management has already resolved itself to hiring lesser quality employees and managing them though surveillance as it’s future .

no one seems to have this answer. i asked this very same question to a union delegate during last year's Labor Day parade in NYC. im still waiting for an answer
Miami is the only location with a contract. My barn is at an impasse for 2 yrs and is at status quo currently. We have representation but no contract.
Miami accepted a contract 2 yrs ago that we decided not to agree to.
I hope this clarifies it better for you.

Miami is the only location with a contract. My barn is at an impasse for 2 yrs and is at status quo currently. We have representation but no contract.
Miami accepted a contract 2 yrs ago that we decided not to agree to.
I hope this clarifies it better for you.
I did hear that it was a sub-standard contract