Yellow | might have a job, have some questions for some city guys

roadway77

TB Regular
Credits
i have been laid off for over a year from yrc. i got a call to possibly get a city position from a competitor. how much of a difference do city guys make compared to an average road guy. what is the hourly pay ? its slightly higher then what road guys would get for clock time correct. anything over 40hrs is time in a half. could some one shed light on this for me and any recomendation would be appreciated thanks

i have been laid off for over a year from yrc. i got a call to possibly get a city position from a competitor. how much of a difference do city guys make compared to an average road guy. what is the hourly pay ? its slightly higher then what road guys would get for clock time correct. anything over 40hrs is time in a half. could some one shed light on this for me and any recomendation would be appreciated thanks
Over 8 hours is overtime. About $19.75 per hour.(here, with our 15% subtracted) Line haul are about the same as City for clock time.

Is the competitor union or non? Yrc city gets overtime after 8 hours. Rate with 15% kickback is around $20. and change a hour. Some non unions dont pay overtime till after 45 or I believe Estees dont pay overtime, if you work 60 hours it is all straight time.

overtime at some places depends on the bid, if you are on say a 10 hr a day bid, then overtime wouldn't start until after 10hrs

"how much of a difference do city guys make compared to an average road guy"

bout 25k less at my former barn, but road guys did put in 20 hours a week more

I think you need to post in the appropriate companies forum. Different companies have different standards and realities.

i will give it a try too , it would be a union competitor UPSF, local 705. thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
i will give it a try too , it would be a union competitor UPSF, local 705. thanks for the info.
Well for now because there ain't no other ltl union jobs and if ya can't get on at Holland McCook then it's the only game in town . You do know that they at UPSF are not in our 705 pension and I am almost sure they have a different medical .I think they only pay dues to enforce their contract.

I'm under the impression you're rate will be around $15.00/hr for the first 2 years, give or take a little. UPSF workers not only pay their regular dues, which they should, they also pay out of their pocket for their healthcare. Hopefully the latter will change in their next contract but I won't hold my breath. If you're able to get through those first 2 years, you're on your way to the highest hourly rate in the ltl industry with a strong, stable corporation who will probably be around longer than any of us.

I'm under the impression you're rate will be around $15.00/hr for the first 2 years, give or take a little. UPSF workers not only pay their regular dues, which they should, they also pay out of their pocket for their healthcare. Hopefully the latter will change in their next contract but I won't hold my breath. If you're able to get through those first 2 years, you're on your way to the highest hourly rate in the ltl industry with a strong, stable corporation who will probably be around longer than any of us.

the highest? what do they top out at? just wondering.

Well for now because there ain't no other ltl union jobs and if ya can't get on at Holland McCook then it's the only game in town . You do know that they at UPSF are not in our 705 pension and I am almost sure they have a different medical .I think they only pay dues to enforce their contract.

was not aware of that, how and why are the different?

I can't tell you for sure rattlehead but their contract was available online when they first got it. Their yearly raises were between 70 and 90 cents each year. Over the course of their contract and the nmfa, upsf's pay rate passed ours. Again, they get a deduction for health insurance so it might even out but their hourly rate goes higher over the course of the contract. If you go to their forum, maybe they can tell you where to find it online. You can also ask them what top rate is each year over the course of the contract. I just remember it was higher.

ehh they're not hiring here in Cincinnati anyway. Got a call back from UPS Supply Chain though the other day, asked a few questions and was told my name and number would be sent to HR for interview schedule. You wouldn't know what they pay would ya?

I would say Brown is like, a million times more stable than YRC, so I wish you luck at your new job and I am happy that you were able to find it.