ABF | miles of bottom guys

What is the transfer policy . If later I find out I can get a schedule at another terminal. Do you keep your time changing terminals . At my last two companies I moved and kept everything .
The transfer policy depends on your region, your contract, reason for transfer (layed off or don't like this terminal, etc), change of operations, etc.

when I interviewed in dallas they said was about 70 schedule drivers and 25 extra board drivers.

and they were planning to hire 11 new drivers. what kind of miles do the bottom guys get. is it just 300 a day or can you still get over 400. the guy was a regional guy and didn't have specifics for this terminal. so couldn't answer lots of things. if anyone from that terminal you can private message me if you don't want everyone know where you are.

he said the were just giving hire bonus in places like the Dakotas because oil fields. I interviewed for a few oil field jobs and seems the recruiters tell lots of lies about salary and things, they would promise 120,000 but I talk to drivers and it was more like 80,000. and the trucks often falling apart and wouldn't ever pass an inspection. you might hear higher money for owner ops.
They have billboards in Chicago area showing 5000$ bonus

If a guy is only working two days per week its because he is manipulating it to that. Ive talked to dispatch/ mgrs at a few terminals and the freight is there. 2 bigger places I go, board is always exhausted. In Central region, transfers dont happen. Only moves are through change of operations. We have had a few guys want to transfer, they quit and reapplied and were hired again with letter of recommendation from Linehaul Mgr. ( an internal process goes on to ensure he will be hired) but a formal one.. Recently through a change a city near us had 2 drivers, 1 transferred here, 1 quit and reapplied to a closer terminal. Was rehired couple months later.

Because I was interviewed as a linehaul driver and main office called me yesterday on background check so may be calling soon for starting . So I was wondering how the hours worked .Does linehaul call and ask your hours available every call block or they know already.

Last edited:
The Teamsters.....recommended....that as a Union, we do not use the 34-hour re-start.......because it's discriminatory to those waiting on a callout list, and violates seniority.

But,....since according to DOT rules, each driver is responsible for his own log hours,.....with (supposedly) NO company interference or influence,........it becomes each driver's personal choice as to whether he ......."understands" prevailing dispatch rules,...or wants to cut the throats of other guys on a quick turnaround....

I do know my son drove for a few "big box" carriers when he started out driving,.....and they dictated to the drivers when to take a "34 hour re-start".........solely to maximize each driver's time.....You could "legally" log almost 82 hours in a 70 hour period, with ..."judicious" use of the re-start rule....

That was not the intent of the 34 hour re-start,..........But just about every non-Union Billy Joe Bob Big Rigger carrier has....incorporated......use of the 34 hour re-start into their daily dispatches........

...SOLELY for the benefit of the COMPANY! Of course, they tell you that you're ...."making more money".....But, you still got to...drive the time......And you're still making less than $8 an hour.....FOR YOUR TIME......

This is a Union carrier.............If you get hired here,....take a deep breath,.......and forget all that non-Union Big Rigger company propaganda..........and start working and living like a human being with a family life.....instead of part of the truck machinery.....

Because I was interviewed as a linehaul driver and main office called me yesterday on background check so may be calling soon for starting . So I was wondering how the hours worked .Does linehaul call and ask your hours available every call block or they know already.
That is what you are worried about? Really? When you are trying to get a job?
I would suggest you call 1-800-961-9742 ask for Tim Treece director of linehaul operations. He will be extremely happy to answer all your questions.

Last edited:
They already know. It’s on the computer. You can also pull it up on your phone at ABFATWORK.com once you get a driver number.

That is what you are worried about? Really? When you are trying to get a job?
I would suggest you call 1-800-961-9742 ask for Tim Treece director of linehaul operations. He will be extremely happy to answer all your questions.
Yes lots of things matter to me. Like I clean my mirrors and lights at start of every night and again if needed. Other guys drive with mirrors u can hardly see through the dirt and windshields covered in dead bugs We all are different. I got 20 years no accidents no points . So it works for me . Other guys only worry if wife is cheating while they on road . I'm learning how quick they will call if I'm home . Does phone ring at 34 hours and I need say no so some other driver stalking me says why am I driving on 34 and cutting him out miles .

Yes lots of things matter to me. Like I clean my mirrors and lights at start of every night and again if needed. Other guys drive with mirrors u can hardly see through the dirt and windshields covered in dead bugs We all are different. I got 20 years no accidents no points . So it works for me . Other guys only worry if wife is cheating while they on road . I'm learning how quick they will call if I'm home . Does phone ring at 34 hours and I need say no so some other driver stalking me says why am I driving on 34 and cutting him out miles .
These are all great questions for Tim Treece. He will be so excited to hear from you.

Some larger barns have a training person. Some throw you to the wolves. We have cards or paper to fill out to help police hours. turn in to dispatch. But yes hrs are in computer, they know when to use you, use you up.

Some larger barns have a training person. Some throw you to the wolves. We have cards or paper to fill out to help police hours. turn in to dispatch. But yes hrs are in computer, they know when to use you, use you up.
I read a review of driver just started in Atlanta He said was some videos then took one trip with a driver next trip he was alone.

I believe we had an evening LH driver that would train multiple runs. On a turn. Varies from place to place. Although we hired a bunch of military. no previous experience. Good question to ask terminal.