FedEx Freight | Military Leave

crbourret

TB Lurker
Credits
Just wondering if any folks out there are in the guard or reserve and what kind of feeling you get when it comes to requesting military leave for drill, annual training, excercises, etc...
I'm not gettin the warm fuzzy, supportive, sense you read about in all the publications.
I know they have to give it to me by law but I get qeustioned about it way more than I did at my last job and I've had some other drivers complain to me about it becuase they have to haul more frieght or can't get the day off when I'm on military leave.
Just wondering if anyone else gets that at their center?

I'm not in the military anymore, but I know that where I'm at people catch hell for taking time off. It's like having a tooth pulled or an act of congress happening. They don't want to hire enough people to do the job, just work some of their lower paid new people to death and not let the older ones off for anything. A big Thank YOU for your serving our country. They shouldn't say a dam thing but, Im sure they do give you a hard time. Hang in there! Be safe and God Bless you!

Giving you sheeeeeet about military leave. Just plain wrong. Learning more about Fedex Freight everyday.

[quote author=Barney link=topic=79924.msg827773#msg827773 date=1273228752]
Giving you sheeeeeet about military leave. Just plain wrong. Learning more about Fedex Freight everyday.
[/quote]

different places, different ccm's different people Barney, not all of them act like this but I am sure some do...

We have a city guy who was in the guard. He did a tour in iraq as well, he never lost his time and he told me that while he was on active duty the company still accrued his vacation time and everything. We used to send him letters and his postcards would adorn our bulleten board.

Today I noticed on my pay stub that they took 10 hours of my personal leave for a day of military leave (LWOP) I took last week for drill....I'm thinking there is something in the USERRA law that prohibits that. I think I'll make a call to HR and the Department of labor to be sure.

[quote author=crbourret link=topic=79924.msg827734#msg827734 date=1273197264]
Just wondering if any folks out there are in the guard or reserve and what kind of feeling you get when it comes to requesting military leave for drill, annual training, excercises, etc...
I'm not gettin the warm fuzzy, supportive, sense you read about in all the publications.
I know they have to give it to me by law but I get qeustioned about it way more than I did at my last job and I've had some other drivers complain to me about it becuase they have to haul more frieght or can't get the day off when I'm on military leave.
Just wondering if anyone else gets that at their center?
[/quote]

Just let Harrison get wind that they are giving s*it to a military guy and you'll see a change. Makes for REAL bad press should it get into the media. Wink Wink.

[quote author=crbourret link=topic=79924.msg827974#msg827974 date=1273290853]
Today I noticed on my pay stub that they took 10 hours of my personal leave for a day of military leave (LWOP) I took last week for drill....I'm thinking there is something in the USERRA law that prohibits that. I think I'll make a call to HR and the Department of labor to be sure.
[/quote]

That's crap. Find out who authorized and scream bloody murder.

God! We have some tools in mangement!

CR, I am in the Corps and doing a year of Active Duty. Never had red shirts give me a hard time about time off when I had to drill, or do the two weeks, or funerals. Suggest you get the standard unit letter every time you have to take time off and turn it in. I always did, sometimes on short notice for funerals, and mgmt has always been supportive. If they took the personal leave for it, and paid you for it, then you could request it be reversed. Suggest that in the future you fill out the time off request and check the box for "without pay" and write in the remarks / reason box NO PAY, then staple the unit letter to it when you turn it in. When it was AF I had to do a year in Iraq and was earned vacation time while I was gone, came back and had 2 more weeks than when I left :clap: Got activated again after the change to FedEx, but received the Purple Promise, no vacation time when I returned :nono: No worries, I was not there and so did not "earn" the time. This tour is intense but get to refresh as we go on missions for a few weeks then return to US for a few weeks and prep for next one.

Thanks for the posts everyone and best of luck on your tour headhunter.
I got an email from my SCM today. Sounded like he wasn't to happy I spoke to HR but did correct the personal time deduction, says he wants me to see him in the AM.
I'll let y'all know how it goes......

I met with my SCM Monday morning and we actually had a good conversation about my ML.
He is also signed up to go on a "Boss Lift" with the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Group (ESGR) and said I could have the day off if I wanted to go with him.
He also said if any other drivers have a problem about my military leave i should just tell them to see him.
Things may have taken a turn for the better...