ABF | Money in the bank

[quote author=stoneyABF link=topic=80004.msg832227#msg832227 date=1274625547]
[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=80004.msg831817#msg831817 date=1274489377]

I don't apologize for that either. I first concern in my life is my family household, not others. I do care about others, and I will tout the union line, when I feel its justified and or would help. But I'm not going to stay on a sinking ship just because everyone else is. I do have a limit. Again I don't apologize for that.
[/quote]

IMO...There's nothing wrong in this post,stoney. I would of never made any derogatory remarks to you if that's all you would of said in the first place.I don't agree with the yes vote but I do respect the concern for your family first part.It was your digs first that got me replying with digs of my own.

Hey Stoney like I said I can respect your yes vote. You did what was right for you and your family. That is all any of us can do at this time. What we think is right for us and our familes. Good luck to you and your family man. I hope you are wrong when this is over, but we can all agree to disagree. I also did what I knew was best for my family.

[quote author=Truxforever link=topic=80004.msg832337#msg832337 date=1274645575]
Hey Stoney like I said I can respect your yes vote. You did what was right for you and your family. That is all any of us can do at this time. What we think is right for us and our familes. Good luck to you and your family man. I hope you are wrong when this is over, but we can all agree to disagree. I also did what I knew was best for my family.
[/quote]

That's all I ask, is just respect my choice. I just don't understand all the name calling. Thanks....

[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=80004.msg832332#msg832332 date=1274643944]
[quote author=stoneyABF link=topic=80004.msg832227#msg832227 date=1274625547]
[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=80004.msg831817#msg831817 date=1274489377]

I don't apologize for that either. I first concern in my life is my family household, not others. I do care about others, and I will tout the union line, when I feel its justified and or would help. But I'm not going to stay on a sinking ship just because everyone else is. I do have a limit. Again I don't apologize for that.
[/quote]

IMO...There's nothing wrong in this post,stoney. I would of never made any derogatory remarks to you if that's all you would of said in the first place.I don't agree with the yes vote but I do respect the concern for your family first part.It was your digs first that got me replying with digs of my own.
[/quote]

Well, if I got defensive, can you blame me? I reread the few posts of mine on this particular discussion. I gave my reasons, then all of sudden you said I was brainwashed, and leftblack said I was drinking the company kool aid. I didn't start the the digs. you guys did.

Now you didn't like when I said I hope this concession pushes some old timers to retire. You took that as selfish. But if read what I really wrote. I said I wanted them to retire so that we can bring back some laid off guys we have system wide. I see it as a win win deal. The old timer gets to retire, collect his full pension, and a laid off guy gets back to work.

And yes, I want to climb the board. Get that better run. Maybe with better home time and money. That's one big complaint I have with this type of job. No matter how hard I work, and good of a job I do for ABF, I can't get a promotion or anything like that. The only promotions deals we have is moving up the seniority board and getting either an easier run, or a run that makes good money. I never said I wanted these guys to get fired, or even die. Just to retire. So I don't apologize for that statement either.

In the end, we all want whats best for ABF, and ourselves. I'm not looking forward to a 15% cut. I just believe its the right move right now. I could be wrong.

Lets stop this stupid feud. I'm not a bad guy.

A couple of our guys weho could retire can't because of the cost of medical. They have some health issues going on and they can not buy independent health care because of preexisting conditions. So I understand the younger guys want to move up the senority board but realize these guys aren't just hanging around to make your life miserable. Everyone has a reason for their own choices. I am pretty sure if someone did not need to keep working they wouldn't. So don't judge to hard the guys still working who could retire.

[quote author=truckchick1 link=topic=80004.msg832392#msg832392 date=1274661919]
A couple of our guys weho could retire can't because of the cost of medical. They have some health issues going on and they can not buy independent health care because of preexisting conditions. So I understand the younger guys want to move up the senority board but realize these guys aren't just hanging around to make your life miserable. Everyone has a reason for their own choices. I am pretty sure if someone did not need to keep working they wouldn't. So don't judge to hard the guys still working who could retire.
[/quote]

You know what? Your right. I totally forgot about that. And now with 500 billion being cut from Medicare, its just going to get harder too. But am I selfish for wanting guys to retire and for me to climb the board?

Maybe not selfish but you need to understand everyone has a story. There is a reason why you feel to vote yes and there is a reason these guys are still working. I just hate to see everyone telling everyone else how to live their lives. No one knows what everyone else is facing in their own life. Run your own life and don't try to tell everyone else how to run theirs.

[quote author=truckchick1 link=topic=80004.msg832436#msg832436 date=1274669118]
Maybe not selfish but you need to understand everyone has a story. There is a reason why you feel to vote yes and there is a reason these guys are still working. I just hate to see everyone telling everyone else how to live their lives. No one knows what everyone else is facing in their own life. Run your own life and don't try to tell everyone else how to run theirs.
[/quote]

Well, the lower guys have stories and families too. And I'm not telling guys how to live their lives. Just hoping some guys retire.
Also the long timers have had 20 to 30 years to get their affairs in order. To be able to form a plan so that they can afford the new insurance cost. That's the problem with having our insurance paid for by the company. We get spoiled, and forget it won't always be that way.

But what do most these old timers do? They decide to work till 62 or 65, get that SSI and Medicare. Two programs which are broke, but that's for another discussion.

ssi and medicare relie on taxs,and if you lower the working class wages you have to raise the tax rate to pull more money in. So you stoney will have the double whammy.Higher taxes and lower wages. So these programs are not going away. If they would raise wages for the working class they would bring in more money and lower the tax base.

I am talking about a couple of brothers/sisters who are fighting cancer. How do you plan for that. ABF has allowed them to keep their jobs and work when they can. If this means that you are not working to sad. I applaud the company for standing behind these long time employees.

Posted by: stoneyABF
But what do most these old timers do? They decide to work till 62 or 65, get that SSI and Medicare. Two programs which are broke, but that's for another discussion.

You have to work till you're 62-65 just to maintain the lifestyle when retired you got used to when you were working. Teamsters have an inexpensive health insurance when you reach 60 but you need Social Security plus the pension to just pay the bills and maybe even a
images
if you like cash, caviar and cadillacs

[quote author=truckchick1 link=topic=80004.msg832477#msg832477 date=1274677289]
I am talking about a couple of brothers/sisters who are fighting cancer. How do you plan for that. ABF has allowed them to keep their jobs and work when they can. If this means that you are not working to sad. I applaud the company for standing behind these long time employees.
[/quote]

Well most old timers don't have cancer. And how as ABF allowed them to stay on? ABF has no say in that matter. You think ABF really cares if these guys continue to work or not?

Fact is, most, not all, but most Teamsters did nothing to prepare themselves for retirement. They that can't continue to do the job physically. But can't afford to retire. So they work and work till their mid 60's so that SSI and Medicare can supplement them.

So we have guys not working right now, because of the responsibility of others.

[quote author=Double barrel link=topic=80004.msg832469#msg832469 date=1274673181]
ssi and medicare relie on taxs,and if you lower the working class wages you have to raise the tax rate to pull more money in. So you stoney will have the double whammy.Higher taxes and lower wages. So these programs are not going away. If they would raise wages for the working class they would bring in more money and lower the tax base.
[/quote]

That's the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. Its not that not enough taxes are not being paid in. Its that SSI was doomed from the beginning, and our government couldn't keep there hands off of it, and now refuse to fix it.

And if the government really wanted more revenue in taxes. They should cut taxes, and cut government spending. But at the very least cut taxes. Cutting taxes has always generated an increase in revenue to the government. It worked under JFK, Reagan, Clinton, and W. Bush.

the problem with SSI isn't enough taxes being paid, its a flawed program to begin with.

[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=80004.msg832530#msg832530 date=1274712121]
Let's not turn this into the Political forum ! Thanks people :thumbsup:

4444402062_a1a231559b_o.jpg

[/quote]

Sorry........