XPO | money

aat0205

TB Lurker
Credits
Is money number one priority to conway than there customers and employees?new and old customers are not essential in the conway freigh operation anymore?what do you think!:cuss: :thumbsdown: :realmad:

I think they care about all 3. The #1 priorty is to make money. To do that, they need customers and employees. They have no choice but to care. All 3 go hand in hand.

Believe it or not, they care a great deal about our safety. Injuries are very expesive and takes away from the #1 priority.

My father told me something many years ago that still sticks with me. He said, if you don't like your job, you have 2 options. Find another one, or make the one you have better.

I've had several jobs that I tried to make better and failed, I found another one. I ended up here and so far the few things I have complained about were resolved.

Most of the problems with this company are local problems. If you called XGO with a ligitimate complaint showing how your SC does not care about our customers or employees, I'll bet your SCM will be in in a conference call pretty quick.

I can only speak for my SC, but we have cookouts a few times a year, they buy us doughnuts every other week, give out small gifts and food durring the appriciation week, a decent picnic and Christmas party. I never got that stuff at other jobs. I'm not a driver, so I don't know what goes on that end, but it's not a bad job at the shop. I have my complaints, but over all, I'm pretty happy here.

That's just my opinion.

$$$

Is money number one priority to conway than there customers and employees?new and old customers are not essential in the conway freigh operation anymore?what do you think!:cuss: :thumbsdown: :realmad:

Let me ask you this: If you were going to start a company and be successful (profitable), how would you do it?
It takes money (investors/ stock holders). You sell goods or provide a service, and have an inventory (products/fleet). You hire people to provide said service (employees). You establish a customer base. You have many many regulations you have to follow (Government; IRS, DOT, .....etc Not only Fed, but every State you operate in). You have to hire more people to deal with all of the above, and you have to keep ALL of them happy. HOW indeed do they do it?

Let me ask you this: If you were going to start a company and be successful (profitable), how would you do it?
It takes money (investors/ stock holders). You sell goods or provide a service, and have an inventory (products/fleet). You hire people to provide said service (employees). You establish a customer base. You have many many regulations you have to follow (Government; IRS, DOT, .....etc Not only Fed, but every State you operate in). You have to hire more people to deal with all of the above, and you have to keep ALL of them happy. HOW indeed do they do it?
WOW MAYBE YOU SHOULD REPLACE ONE OF THE SUITS, WE WOULD ALL BE BETTER OFF! :1036316054:

Great post. The answer to your question.......You can't keep everyone happy.

I think they care about all 3. The #1 priorty is to make money. To do that, they need customers and employees. They have no choice but to care. All 3 go hand in hand.

Believe it or not, they care a great deal about our safety. Injuries are very expesive and takes away from the #1 priority.

My father told me something many years ago that still sticks with me. He said, if you don't like your job, you have 2 options. Find another one, or make the one you have better.

I've had several jobs that I tried to make better and failed, I found another one. I ended up here and so far the few things I have complained about were resolved.

Most of the problems with this company are local problems. If you called XGO with a ligitimate complaint showing how your SC does not care about our customers or employees, I'll bet your SCM will be in in a conference call pretty quick.

I can only speak for my SC, but we have cookouts a few times a year, they buy us doughnuts every other week, give out small gifts and food durring the appriciation week, a decent picnic and Christmas party. I never got that stuff at other jobs. I'm not a driver, so I don't know what goes on that end, but it's not a bad job at the shop. I have my complaints, but over all, I'm pretty happy here.

That's just my opinion.

I have been a driver for several companies for many years. I have never worked for a company that treats it's employees as well as we are treated.

I have been a driver for several companies for many years. I have never worked for a company that treats it's employees as well as we are treated.

I agree, there are certain high profile terminals that have management/morale issues. The smaller one seems to be better managed with a more family oriented atmosphere.

Don't you think it's because they have less people to keep happy?

Good point.....Less variety.
I've noticed the bigger the terminal the more inclined management is to lose focus/touch with the employee. They start focusing more on getting the whole operation done at all cost.

Seems to me that the only difference between a smaller terminal and a larger terminal is that the smaller terminal is smaller and that the larger terminal is larger.

.....Really.

Seems to me that the only difference between a smaller terminal and a larger terminal is that the smaller terminal is smaller and that the larger terminal is larger.

.....Really.
I've noticed a terminal manager at a smaller SC being more effective at combating morale issues. Once promoted to a larger terminal they use the same schematics, which in turn does not work, which leads them to become jerks and use all means of getting the heavier volume of freight and customer satisfied.

They need to read the Santa Clause book more closely.

At small terminals you have an SCM who is everything to everyone, he is HR, CSR, Sales and FOS... Hr Problem, Go to the SCM. CSR,Sales or FOS Vacation or out for some other reason, They fill in... You are forced to interact much closer with everyone at a smaller terminal. There is not such a big buffer as there is at a large facility...

At your big class 1's you have HR, Office Mgr, Sales MGR, FOS Coordinators, and an FOM who can cover their respective areas so if someone is off the SCM doesn't fill in... And then you can have an ASCM who adds an another layer between the SCM and Labor Force...

It falls to the SCM to get out and talk to, listen and get to understand the people that work under him... If they get too much into sitting in the corner office with the door closed firing emails off you can run into Morale problems real quick...

I'm not saying that's what happened at any terminal with issues posted here because I don't know, but that seems to be what happens going from what I have seen at every place I have ever worked... If the manager doesn't make the effort to interact with the labor, the labor usually has more of a morale issue...

It's like a rally the troops type of situation. your commanders lead you into battle and you follow willingly. If they are in the back of the line in a recliner telling you to attack but not doing so themselves your not going to be as willing to do so...

Just my thoughts,

MG

It falls to the SCM to get out and talk to, listen and get to understand the people that work under him... If they get too much into sitting in the corner office with the door closed firing emails off you can run into Morale problems real quick...

I'm not saying that's what happened at any terminal with issues posted here because I don't know, but that seems to be what happens going from what I have seen at every place I have ever worked... If the manager doesn't make the effort to interact with the labor, the labor usually has more of a morale issue...

It's like a rally the troops type of situation. your commanders lead you into battle and you follow willingly. If they are in the back of the line in a recliner telling you to attack but not doing so themselves your not going to be as willing to do so...

Just my thoughts,

MG

Awesome post! TM must Lead by Example get out roll yoursleeves up and let your labor force see you sweat it out with them.
Being an armchair quarterback while thinking they can effectively manage from an office is....like you said...a perfect recipe for disaster.
I saw a TM work on a handload once, he took his tie off, rolled up his sleeves, whipped on a backbelt and worked a frickin handload.
Now that caused the dock to go in an uproar and cheer him on! That kind of stuff re-motivated the unmotivated driver.
He showed he was not an arm chair quarterback. It was the coolest feeling to know we had a TM that was not affraid to work the trenches.
Kudos to the TM's that show the labor force they can do it and do it well.
Shame Shame to the Plungebobber's that talk the talk and can't walk the walk.
"I don't want to come to you, you must come to me, as my brain is superglued to my chair"

Do the TM's still do ride alongs with you City and linehaul drivers?

The same morale issues that plague the large terminals also affect the small terminals. Just because a terminal may be smaller does not make it any less stressful for those that are affected by stress. To achieve X amount of work, Conway will use the minimum number of people.

That being said, a TM at any terminal can make or break morale. Beyond the RM and The Corporation, he/she is solely responsible.

The same morale issues that plague the large terminals also affect the small terminals. Just because a terminal may be smaller does not make it any less stressful for those that are affected by stress. To achieve X amount of work, Conway will use the minimum number of people.

That being said, a TM at any terminal can make or break morale. Beyond the RM and The Corporation, he/she is solely responsible.

I completely agree... I belive it requires more effort on the part of the TM at a large facility to go out and "be with" the workers, whereas at a small facility an unresponsive TM will cause even more damage than at a large facility. The small terminal you don't have to make nearly the effort to "be with" your workforce, but just being around isn't enough, it takes people skills to run a terminal successfully (Meaning happy Drivers, and Drivers that WANT to work for you...)

Dale Carnegie once said, "people follow a great leader... not that leader's path". No one questioned the path of central when Jerry D was leading. We followed him, and did not question the path he choose.
The best TM's I have experienced (now starting my ninth) produced low absenteeism, low workman's comp claims, low overall safety issues, and high productivity. All these items were the by-product of strong leadership and high moral.
Why does this company continue to think it's problems are so unique and profit solves everything?

$$$

I think morale is very low at my barn, as well as many others. Numbers are everything and you can never do enough to satisfy management.:Bondage: Some drivers have figured out how though :butt kiss: