Yellow | More LTL carriers may follow AAA Cooper to the altar, consultant says

C'mon, you are smarter than that. I said none of that crap.
I said, it makes no difference how we got here. We are here now and have to deal with the situation today not focus on the past.
Zollars could be tarred, feathered and hanged in the courthouse square. Jimmy Carter could be thrown in prison for deregulation. 600+ union carriers would still be gone and FedEx Freight would still be the largest LTL carrier in the country. Deal with today's reality. If YRC doesn't get competitive, if YRC can't reduce their cost structure, 26,000 YRC employees will be out of a job by 2025. How many of them will ABF hire? How many will have to compete for jobs at non union companies and how many never again reach the level of compensation they enjoy today at YRC.
You may not have explicitly said it but that is the jist of your many posts on the subject....you have no problem calling teamsters overpaid and lazy, but I can't remember you once talking negatively of management....you act as though they all work hard for the money...how much more can the YRC folks "give" ? I put it in quotations because I know we dont agree on that and I dont feel like being lectured by you ....they already make far less hourly and only get a 25 percent pension....

C'mon, you are smarter than that. I said none of that crap.
I said, it makes no difference how we got here. We are here now and have to deal with the situation today not focus on the past.
Zollars could be tarred, feathered and hanged in the courthouse square. Jimmy Carter could be thrown in prison for deregulation. 600+ union carriers would still be gone and FedEx Freight would still be the largest LTL carrier in the country. Deal with today's reality. If YRC doesn't get competitive, if YRC can't reduce their cost structure, 26,000 YRC employees will be out of a job by 2025. How many of them will ABF hire? How many will have to compete for jobs at non union companies and how many never again reach the level of compensation they enjoy today at YRC.
That is just ridiculous. That is like saying a serial killer should not go to prison because that won't help bring back the people he killed. Or better yet, a child molester should not be arrested and jailed because that won't change what he did to that child. Without good leadership at the top that actually looks out for their employees which, in turn, creates more productive employees, there is no turning this around. YRC employees have already done their part by agreeing to concessions already to help the company stay in business because of Zollars and Co. mismanagement. Now it is managements turn to do their part by actually managing the company and winning back the loyalty of their work force. More pay cuts and benefits concessions is not the answer. That will only create more division within the company.

That is just ridiculous. That is like saying a serial killer should not go to prison because that won't help bring back the people he killed. Or better yet, a child molester should not be arrested and jailed because that won't change what he did to that child. Without good leadership at the top that actually looks out for their employees which, in turn, creates more productive employees, there is no turning this around. YRC employees have already done their part by agreeing to concessions already to help the company stay in business because of Zollars and Co. mismanagement. Now it is managements turn to do their part by actually managing the company and winning back the loyalty of their work force. More pay cuts and benefits concessions is not the answer. That will only create more division within the company.
I don't think you'll convince razor with logic. You'll have to do better.:coffee1:

You would be correct EXCEPT your scenario does not address the debt service. It's an expense that will not go away. My post clearly stated that it makes no difference who you blame or how you punish them, the situation of today's YRC does not change.
Costs now exceed revenue. That must change or it's only a matter of time until YRC can no longer function. Management has to mean lowering costs and increasing revenue. Union contracts and competition determines rates and labor costs. When every cost is a fixed expense, how do you reduce expenses? Customers now demand on time service at a competitive price. Service requires cut times. Trailers must be dispatched to make service. There is no holding for an extra three hours for a trailer to fill. Fuel, property taxes, rents, tires and every other product required to move freight is beyond the control of management.
YRC is now following the business plan of the now defunct companies. Longer vehicle service intervals, smaller or non existent tire banks, keeping trucks, trailers, and forklifts until they can't be fixed and then using them for parts. Enroute breakdowns will be handled by company mechanics because vendors will no longer wait months to get paid. Next will be all meet turns and no layover expense. Then flat rate pricing for pup loads. The flat rate will cover the fixed cost of moving the load and anything loaded in addition will "ride for free". Consolidation. Smaller terminals will be merged creating longer stem times for P&D but allowing more direct loading bypassing breakbulks to "reduce" handling and claims.

You would be correct EXCEPT your scenario does not address the debt service. It's an expense that will not go away. My post clearly stated that it makes no difference who you blame or how you punish them, the situation of today's YRC does not change.
Costs now exceed revenue. That must change or it's only a matter of time until YRC can no longer function. Management has to mean lowering costs and increasing revenue. Union contracts and competition determines rates and labor costs. When every cost is a fixed expense, how do you reduce expenses? Customers now demand on time service at a competitive price. Service requires cut times. Trailers must be dispatched to make service. There is no holding for an extra three hours for a trailer to fill. Fuel, property taxes, rents, tires and every other product required to move freight is beyond the control of management.
YRC is now following the business plan of the now defunct companies. Longer vehicle service intervals, smaller or non existent tire banks, keeping trucks, trailers, and forklifts until they can't be fixed and then using them for parts. Enroute breakdowns will be handled by company mechanics because vendors will no longer wait months to get paid. Next will be all meet turns and no layover expense. Then flat rate pricing for pup loads. The flat rate will cover the fixed cost of moving the load and anything loaded in addition will "ride for free". Consolidation. Smaller terminals will be merged creating longer stem times for P&D but allowing more direct loading bypassing breakbulks to "reduce" handling and claims.
As of recently we have a new investor with very deep pockets! Uncle Sam will see that we have as much taxpayer money as we need. As long as Teamsters keep supporting the Liberals we have nothing to worry about!
Just consider us a "minority " trucking company and you will get it.

As of recently we have a new investor with very deep pockets! Uncle Sam will see that we have as much taxpayer money as we need. As long as Teamsters keep supporting the Liberals we have nothing to worry about!
Just consider us a "minority " trucking company and you will get it.
Maybe if you visualize the word Amtrack on the side of our trucks you will get it!
It's not about being profitable we just have to be important to the government.
You know Amtrack where it costs fifteen dollars to make a Hamburger you sell for eight. Amtrack is actually a better example than I realized....maybe we can get a new motto....."Yellow the Amtrack of Trucking".....I like it!

Maybe if you visualize the word Amtrack on the side of our trucks you will get it!
You know Amtrack where it costs fifteen dollars to make a Hamburger you sell for eight. Amtrack is actually a better example than I realized....maybe we can get a new motto....."Yellow the Amtrack of Trucking".....I like it!
All Aboard..........

Just to stir it up a little bit! It’s 41 miles between 186(Worcester) and 108(Providence). Two 108 drivers sent from 205 to 186 with loaded sets. CDO says no driver leaves as b/t. Soooo, first driver waits “5 hours” for a set of m/t’s and second driver waits “6 hours” for a set of m/t pup’s! 11 hours on the bench for mt pups and there just going 41 miles to 108!!! Someone needs to get canned at KC CDO!

Just to stir it up a little bit! It’s 41 miles between 186(Worcester) and 108(Providence). Two 108 drivers sent from 205 to 186 with loaded sets. CDO says no driver leaves as b/t. Soooo, first driver waits “5 hours” for a set of m/t’s and second driver waits “6 hours” for a set of m/t pup’s! 11 hours on the bench for mt pups and there just going 41 miles to 108!!! Someone needs to get canned at KC CDO!
The , kids, in CDO, I would say are looking at trailer pool balance, and maybe playing a bit of pocket pool too, but yes, 11 hours is ridiculous.

Actually, we did tell our members exactly that. Much like Yellow, Preston Trucking made poor business decisions. Preston saw an "opportunity" to enter into the deregulated market. They created Preston Corp. as a holding company and started two new companies, Frontier was a truckload carrier and Pioneer, a flatbed steel hauler.
By 1990, the effects of deregulation were becoming obvious. Preston needed an 11% wage reduction. IBT reviewed the books and it was up to local unions to sell it to the members. Several years later, the wage reduction became 9% but Preston wanted work rule changes that our members would not accept. Preston died and everyone lost their jobs in August 1999.
It was surprising that after watching McClean, Halls, Interstate, Cooper Jarret, Warner-Smith and others in Western Pa. go under, that Preston people were so adamant that the company was hiding money and just out to screw them. Sound familiar?
Preston bought Saia, and couldn't afford the Debt Service. Yellow Corp took advantage of that and bought Preston to get Saia. We took the concession, but Yellow shut us down once the concession amount equaled the debt payoff. Its pretty close to what Yellow Corp did to Holland, by charging the Holland Corp Properties mortgages back on their own books to pay for the debt to purchase them.

Preston bought Saia, and couldn't afford the Debt Service. Yellow Corp took advantage of that and bought Preston to get Saia. We took the concession, but Yellow shut us down once the concession amount equaled the debt payoff. Its pretty close to what Yellow Corp did to Holland, by charging the Holland Corp Properties mortgages back on their own books to pay for the debt to purchase them.
You mean Zollars, again, F’d it all up?

Amtrack gets there on time or close to it, Yellow gets there when it gets there

Amtrack gets there on time or close to it, Yellow gets there when it gets there
I flew a lot back in the 1960's when stewardesses were single, young and great looking, when airlines treated you like you were special, when they served real meals on board, and when people dressed up to go on a flight. Today I avoid flying unless I have absolutely no other option. Thank goodness for Amtrack. I've taken a couple of long train trips in recent years and I'd do that over flying any time.

I flew a lot back in the 1960's when stewardesses were single, young and great looking, when airlines treated you like you were special, when they served real meals on board, and when people dressed up to go on a flight. Today I avoid flying unless I have absolutely no other option. Thank goodness for Amtrack. I've taken a couple of long train trips in recent years and I'd do that over flying any time.
The last commercial airline I flew still had propellers, in 1960 when Uncle Sam said I could go home.

One of my wife’s friends has been a stewardess on SouthWest for 30 years, and she is still great looking.