Yellow | More LTL carriers may follow AAA Cooper to the altar, consultant says

Preston bought Saia, and couldn't afford the Debt Service. Yellow Corp took advantage of that and bought Preston to get Saia. We took the concession, but Yellow shut us down once the concession amount equaled the debt payoff. Its pretty close to what Yellow Corp did to Holland, by charging the Holland Corp Properties mortgages back on their own books to pay for the debt to purchase them.
Sounds like a solid business plan.
Yellow actually sold Preston, and all it's property, equipment and assets for $100.00 to the three principle officers. They collected big salaries and operated on cash flow until the party ended. Auctioned off everything and made millions.
Yellow did not even have incur the shutdown costs. It was brilliant.

Yellow actually sold Preston, and all it's property, equipment and assets for $100.00 to the three principle officers. They collected big salaries and operated on cash flow until the party ended. Auctioned off everything and made millions.
Shouldn't you be out there destroying more lives and companies instead of wasting your time explaining yourself to us underlings there Mr. Zollars?

I am not even going to comment on that picture! It does remind me of last night I was talking to a foreign driver at our barn and he was telling me that he put stickers of unicorns and rainbows on his DVIR book hoping that guys wouldn't use his truck while he was at motel because he might be similar to the fella in picture. He said it worked somewhat for a while and then a city guy ripped the cover off the book and it gets used every day again. Oh the things guys will try!

I don't know if you guys saw this?
Do the parentathese mean negative?
I am not a financial expert!

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Sept. 09, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Yellow Corporation (NASDAQ: YELL) reported certain operating metrics for the first two months of third quarter 2021.

For Yellow less-than-truckload, the percent change 2021 from 2020:

Shipments per WorkdayWeight per ShipmentTonnage per WorkdayRevenue per Hundredweight(a)Revenue per Shipment(a)
July(3.9)%(1.9)%(5.7)%19.4%17.1%
August(6.4)%(2.2)%(8.5)%22.5%19.9%
QTD(5.2)%(2.0)%(7.1)%20.9%18.5%
(a) Includes fuel surcharge

“We continue executing our yield strategy to ensure the optimum level of freight is flowing through the network,” said Darren Hawkins, Chief Executive Officer. “Our plan is to grow the business and we are confident that our transformation to One Yellow positions us for long-term tonnage growth. Extraordinarily tight LTL capacity with ongoing high demand matched by limits in the U.S. labor pool reinforces our near- term strategy of focusing on yield at this point in the freight transportation cycle.”

Shouldn't you be out there destroying more lives and companies instead of wasting your time explaining yourself to us underlings there Mr. Zollars?
You previously told me that managers need to manage to get YRC out of the hole.
Guess what, finding a way to make YRC prosperous and profitable is good management.

I don't know if you guys saw this?
Do the parentathese mean negative?
I am not a financial expert!

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Sept. 09, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Yellow Corporation (NASDAQ: YELL) reported certain operating metrics for the first two months of third quarter 2021.

For Yellow less-than-truckload, the percent change 2021 from 2020:

Shipments per WorkdayWeight per ShipmentTonnage per WorkdayRevenue per Hundredweight(a)Revenue per Shipment(a)
July(3.9)%(1.9)%(5.7)%19.4%17.1%
August(6.4)%(2.2)%(8.5)%22.5%19.9%
QTD(5.2)%(2.0)%(7.1)%20.9%18.5%
(a) Includes fuel surcharge

“We continue executing our yield strategy to ensure the optimum level of freight is flowing through the network,” said Darren Hawkins, Chief Executive Officer. “Our plan is to grow the business and we are confident that our transformation to One Yellow positions us for long-term tonnage growth. Extraordinarily tight LTL capacity with ongoing high demand matched by limits in the U.S. labor pool reinforces our near- term strategy of focusing on yield at this point in the freight transportation cycle.”
Parentheses indicate negative numbers:
Chart shows YRC generating more revenue with fewer shipments.

The 3 who "bought" were Yellow VPs. 600 trailers were provided to Preston but still owned by Yellow. Same for the Richfield Terminal. Within a week of closure- all that stuff had Yellow decals on them. Lawyers supposedly linked Preston's fuel bills to Yellow, too, but no action came to court. We closed 14 months after being "sold". Had it been within 12 months, the contract said we would have been dovetailed. Instead, Teamsters were Permanently Laid Off, and Carriers were free to pick and choose if they wanted to hire any.

Last edited:
You previously told me that managers need to manage to get YRC out of the hole.
Guess what, finding a way to make YRC prosperous and profitable is good management.
I told you managers need to actually manage and win back the loyalty of the employees as the employees had already done their part by accepting concessions of both pay and benefits (post #122). And it does not sound like to me that YRC management has found a way to be "profitable and prosperous" as you stated. Therefore, it must be poor management, not good management genius. How on earth were you ever a Steward, Organizer, and Official of the Teamsters with your company above all else mind set. But nice try at spinning what I said there Hypocrites.

I told you managers need to actually manage and win back the loyalty of the employees as the employees had already done their part by accepting concessions of both pay and benefits (post #122). And it does not sound like to me that YRC management has found a way to be "profitable and prosperous" as you stated. Therefore, it must be poor management, not good management genius. How on earth were you ever a Steward, Organizer, and Official of the Teamsters with your company above all else mind set. But nice try at spinning what I said there Hypocrites.
Issue being they can't hire decent management either with the low pay scale/high benefit cost/no retirement paln they have to offer most of the smart ones run away.

Let's be clear. There was not, and hopefully is not, a union rep anywhere above the shop level that does not have a company mindset. It is the company that provides the job, it's not your job, and the company that provides the entire compensation package, all of it. How many times have you been to grievance hearings and lost or won half of the backpay or settled for the best you could get? Everytime you lose or get less than you deserve, it's because a union member of the panel voted with the employers.
"Win back the loyalty of the employees". Read the posts on any company forum and show me where employees are not constantly complaining about pay, vacations, benefits and every other part of the job. $30 an hour, 74 cents a mile, great benefits and it's never enough. After 4 years in college, 3 years in medical school and a year of internship, a resident physician makes less than a linehaul driver. Forget loyalty. There should be just a bit of gratitude.

"Win back the loyalty of the employees". Read the posts on any company forum and show me where employees are not constantly complaining about pay, vacations, benefits and every other part of the job. $30 an hour, 74 cents a mile, great benefits and it's never enough. After 4 years in college, 3 years in medical school and a year of internship, a resident physician makes less than a linehaul driver. Forget loyalty. There should be just a bit of gratitude.
Lets be clear about this....if we were privy to what the company executives talk about behind closed doors (union and non union) it would be that the workers are overpaid, and that the executives need better pay, more vacation, benefits, and its never enough for them. How do they get more money in the pot? Why take from the uneducated neanderthals....its human nature to always want more, but it certainly isn't exclusive to just Teamsters.... you are right though it is sad that a resident physician makes less than a line haul driver...if they passed Medicare for All like you want they would make even less though, as Medicare sets many of the rates for services not leaving much left over for the doctor since Medicare and Medicaid deny many things...but it doesn't matter as long as you get yours...

The 3 who "bought" were Yellow VPs. 600 trailers were provided to Preston but still owned by Yellow. Same for the Richfield Terminal. Within a week of closure- all that stuff had Yellow decals on them. Lawyers supposedly linked Preston's fuel bills to Yellow, too, but no action came to court. We closed 14 months after being "sold". Had it been within 12 months, the contract said we would have been dovetailed. Instead, Teamsters were Permanently Laid Off, and Carriers were free to pick and choose if they wanted to hire any.
According to Razorblade it was brilliant...because management (which I believe was his true calling) got theirs...

How many times have you been to grievance hearings and lost or won half of the backpay or settled for the best you could get? Everytime you lose or get less than you deserve, it's because a union member of the panel voted with the employers.
If someone like you were sitting on the grievance committee, I could definately see that happening as you would most certainly rule in favor of the company over your brother who filed the grievance. Sometimes grievances are filed that have no chance of winning or are settled for less pay. It all depends on how the grievance is worded, presented by the business agent, if the grievance has merit, and if the settlement requested by the grievant is fair and reasonable. We all know that the company must survive and thrive to stay in business for everyone's interest, but you act like it is OK for upper management to effectively cut jobs that people need to take care of their family just to put some extra money in their own pockets. And time has shown us that that mind set usually ends bad for the company and it's employees. But in your mind, that upper management individual made a good business decision, even if it cost hundreds, or even thousands of people their jobs and ruined the company in the process because that individual did what was best for him financial. That is called greed and it should be frowned upon and disapproved of. Not revered and viewed as a "good business plan" as you obviously see it.

And they always will want and wish for more no different than management or the owner of the company. Everyone has the desire to do better and make more money. But at the same time, most of us do not want to the point that it ruins others lives or the company at which we are employed. But most of us still do our jobs well. And with good management working with the employees instead of acting like the employees are nothing more than a number and easily replaceable, the employer becomes more profitable and should share some of that extra wealth with the very people that helped them achieve it.
And your example of the resident physician making less than the linehaul driver is a poor example. While it is true that a resident physician does indeed make less than the linehaul driver, once their residency is finished, they make considerably more money than a linehaul driver. I know this first hand as my youngest daughter is in her last year of residency. And she has shared with my wife and I some of the offers she has already received as an OB/GYN Doctor. But I doubt she will try to ruin the employer that she chooses to work for just to put more money in her pocket, as she has a conscience and morals, and looks out for others well being. Not just her own self interests.

Last edited: