FedEx Freight | Moving from Express to Freight

I hate the stupid mirror camera. Wouldn't be bad if it didn't cause the ELD to come on when using turn signal or flashers. Then gotta turn flashers off to use ELD then back on when rolling thru the yard. Not bad during daylight but lights up the cab at night each time turn signal is used. I have an old T-Shirt tucked under the release clip and flip it down at night.

Have you seen footage from these cameras? Has footage from driver facing cameras been used in any type of safety review or other enforcement against a driver at this company? Have you looked closely at the “camera” on the ELD? (Hint: compare its appearance to that of the camera on your phone)
As someone whos reviewed accident footage prior to becoming a driver - No. If they are cameras on the ELD/Handheld they don't work/we don't pay for that service so we don't get it.

We can however see just about every single detail needed from reflections off of the windshield on the main camera though, saw a guy eating a whole taco bar go off the road (Was somewhere out west) managed to keep it up and get back on the road surprisingly.

As someone whos reviewed accident footage prior to becoming a driver - No. If they are cameras on the ELD/Handheld they don't work/we don't pay for that service so we don't get it.

We can however see just about every single detail needed from reflections off of the windshield on the main camera though, saw a guy eating a whole taco bar go off the road (Was somewhere out west) managed to keep it up and get back on the road surprisinly.
The main question is did the Taco survive??????

You know what the dumbest thing in the tractor is? That damn camera in the mirror on the fender, can't see **** out of it when it lights up your ELD and at night.

If they want the camera on that mirror thats fine but I think it's dangerous especially for night time drivers and even in the daytime it's real hard to see anything. I trust my mirrors
Yes! Trust those mirrors! If you have them!

Not sure yet. I'm looking at Roanoke, VA, or somewhere further out west.
Out of Roanoke, VA anyone correct me if I’m wrong but I think you’ll be stuck going to GBO(Greensboro) first and CLT 2nd.

Roanoke is close to the 2 major hubs in NC and the major hub in VA. All hub work is done at night time

Last edited:
You know what the dumbest thing in the tractor is? That damn camera in the mirror on the fender, can't see **** out of it when it lights up your ELD and at night.

If they want the camera on that mirror thats fine but I think it's dangerous especially for night time drivers and even in the daytime it's real hard to see anything. I trust my mirrors
A FedEx stocking cap fits perfectly over the ELD at night. As far as I’m concerned it’s a safety hazard!!!!:1036316054:

Y'all keep on telling yourselves we don't have driver-facing cameras. If you look carefully there's at least two, and possibly three looking at you. One on the windshield, one on the ELD, and one on your handheld if you've got it mounted like many do. I know I've taken several of our trucks in for "DVR upgrades" and they've come back with any stickers that used to be over those inward-facing lenses on the windshield and the ELD removed!
If this were true I’d been fired long ago. Lol. This is just my opinion about moving companies. If you have a decent amount of seniority at express I would stay put for now. We are headed for utter crap times economically (in my opinion) and I mean really crappy. You aren’t going to want to be the FNG at any freight company in the near future.

Out of Roanoke, VA anyone correct me if I’m wrong but I think you’ll be stuck going to GBO(Greensboro) first and CLT 2nd.

Roanoke is close to the 2 major hubs in NC and the major hub in VA. All hub work is done at night time
Thanks for the heads up. My people are from Greensboro, but I'm not sure about the driving at night thing.

Has anyone made the move from Express to Freight?

I'm considering applying for a Road Driver position with Freight, and I'm interested in what the day-to-day is like? Is the promise to be home every night legit? Do they assign you routes, or can you request one? What is entailed in dock work?

I tried checking FedEx's youtube channel for more info, but the official FedEx channel (and the non-propaganda ones) don't give a lot of specifics for beginners.

Thanks!
Easy to make 80k the first year. As far as the other stuff… depends where the Road position is. Hope for your sake it is a hub. Lots of different ways to make money at a hub. If you’re not afraid of work and can ignore the negative words of whiners it’s good work. 28 years in at 2 different hubs. Good luck.

We found that the ELD was the single most perfect place in the world to hang our official FedEx beanie. No annoying light blindness.

Old thread yeah I know. But Totally agree on fender mirror eld being crapt. Much rather have my mirrors. Will be a huge thing to get use to when the mirrorless trucks become more widespread. Already DOT approved some states. Not sure which though. Will say that night time camera quality is 100 percent better than fender mirror cams we got. Even in rain good visibility. Actually better than physical mirrors. But again not having mirror on truck is really gonna be difficult to adjust to. Also said that when started transitioning to automatic tractors. Now it's put in gear and go. Lol. Can't tell ya how many times some ******* pulled out front of me n slam on there brakes. and that left foot scrambling trying find clutch pedal. Lol.

Last edited:
Old thread yeah I know. But Totally agree on fender mirror eld being crapt. Much rather have my mirrors. Will be a huge thing to get use to when the mirrorless trucks become more widespread. Already DOT approved some states. Not sure which though. Will say that night time camera quality is 100 percent better than fender mirror cams we got. Even in rain good visibility. Actually better than physical mirrors. But again not having mirror on truck is really gonna be difficult to adjust to. Also said that when started transitioning to automatic tractors. Now it's put in gear and go. Lol. Can't tell ya how many times some ******* pulled out front of me n slam on there brakes. and that left foot scrambling trying find clutch pedal. Lol.
Not all drivers need mirrors, ask BRG.:438:

I was at Express for nearly 8 years. I loved my job.
I’ve been at Freight for 6 months. Officially driving on my own for 3 months
I HATE my job
I wanna cry every day I hate it so much. I wish I would have never left Express but the $10+ an hour raise hooked me.
But now I’m stuck at freight for another 8 months so I don’t have to pay back the CDL training pay
FML