Central Transport | Moving on out!!

sadsack679

TB Lurker
Credits
Some of us are already starting to get our marching orders. 10 LH from LVL, 2 from FTW,3(?) from BLM starting Monday night go over to the nearest CT term's location. Several p&d guys have already gone to their new homes. TM said that all leased facilities will be vacated in short order.
FTW will be empty or nearly so, by the end of the coming week. They admit that that yard/building is to small to handle all the freight but have the go ahead to join forces.

Who has made the move? Anything to report back to the rest of us? It's got to be a mess for awhile until they smooth out the bumps.

Dallas has sent 10 LH over so far.....2 P&D Monday.....2 more P&D Thursday...Mandatory P&D training at CT on new scanners Saturday November 16th then the remaining will start on Monday 18th with maybe a few staying for clean up......Dallas should be closed by the 29th of November.....CT has a big terminal in Dallas so space shouldn't be a problem.

HBG started sending drivers to learn handhelds last week. Two drivers started working out of there barn in York PA today, will be CT employees by Wendsday. All drivers are going down to learn handhelds two at time. All Muncy drivers started at there Willaimsport terminal today.

HBG started sending drivers to learn handhelds last week. Two drivers started working out of there barn in York PA today, will be CT employees by Wendsday. All drivers are going down to learn handhelds two at time. All Muncy drivers started at there Willaimsport terminal today.

I was susprised to find out that there still was a zone running out of HBG.

Spoke with one of our guys this evening and he gave me some of the highlights of his 1st day at CT. 3 drivers from Det this week headed over, heard 5 more next week doing ride alongs learning the hand held, our guy said the tablet was more user friendly than their hand held. he said sometimes you have to punch at the buttons to get them to work. You use the same truck, trailer and dock door, your trailer is loaded and waiting for you, 7 am start time. You still carry DR's with you just in case the hand held stops working. Forced to take pictures, you communicate with hand held via text msg, no phone calls. They did 11 stops unknown on # of pickups and the stops were 3/4 - 1 mile apart, accumulating 50-60 miles for the day in 12 hours on the clock. Our driver seemed up beat with what he saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us are already starting to get our marching orders. 10 LH from LVL, 2 from FTW,3(?) from BLM starting Monday night go over to the nearest CT term's location. Several p&d guys have already gone to their new homes. TM said that all leased facilities will be vacated in short order.
FTW will be empty or nearly so, by the end of the coming week. They admit that that yard/building is to small to handle all the freight but have the go ahead to join forces.

Who has made the move? Anything to report back to the rest of us? It's got to be a mess for awhile until they smooth out the bumps.

Yes FTW drivers have been slowly moving over. The freight FTW pick up as V is dropping fast and transitioning to CT. Thou a lot of the customers don't like it. Been told that they are taking everyone over to CT including office workers. What we are going to do? I have no idea. Supposedly their terminal is too small for all of us but we are going anyway? FTW dock guys are going over and learning the system. Thou unsure of the final date of the complete merge but we seem to be going at a slower rate. FTW brings a lot of freight so I assume that's why. The TM there tells the employees really nothing and they get it all by hearsay. All I can say is what I am seeing.

Yes FTW drivers have been slowly moving over. The freight FTW pick up as V is dropping fast and transitioning to CT. Thou a lot of the customers don't like it. Been told that they are taking everyone over to CT including office workers. What we are going to do? I have no idea. Supposedly their terminal is too small for all of us but we are going anyway? FTW dock guys are going over and learning the system. Thou unsure of the final date of the complete merge but we seem to be going at a slower rate. FTW brings a lot of freight so I assume that's why. The TM there tells the employees really nothing and they get it all by hearsay. All I can say is what I am seeing.

Sounds like more upper CT management info would help to cut down on the hearsay. Reminds us of the Keylon days, No news is good news. RIGHT

looks like my number has been drawn in the Central lottery, I am one of the "lucky" ones to go over on Monday.

Good luck over there Fudgie, maybe soon you will see the light at the end of your tunnel.

It was sad today as I left, I was almost in tears as it really started to sink in that this chapter in my life was over, another one starts on Monday and that one will either be the shortest or the longest in my driving career book.

Well I'm moving on out myself. Was giving opportunity to pull tank with a large well iknow glodal company.

I have made a lot of friends hear over the years and you guys will be missed.

But made be with the end of the Vitran story this will be a new start for Central to build into the company it could be not what it is now.

Well,18. What do we say? Like fudgie, some of us will have a tear in our eye when we look over our shoulder for the last time. Others will take a different fork in the road. We all have to do what we believe is the best choice for our future. We ALL hope we make the right decision. I've got a solid offer from one company and have had follow up with another outfit. Like you. I might become a tanker-yanker. Just to have to weight them both out for myself. Or, like alot of other people, do I make the move and hope for the best? Hard decision. Good luck driver. Hope we all find what we are looking for.

Yes, Good luck to you 18, I wish you the best as well as all of the others who have chosen to move on down the road and also to those of us who have chosen to stay. I will be joining my team, my brothers at CT in Detroit and look forward to help make CT a new home for me.

I initially did not want to go for several reasons, the drive is further than I care to make, my truck gets poor mileage, the location in Detroit is bad, heck you may get robbed or worse. No direct deposit, nobody has ever heard of Cherokee insurance, my doctor sure hasn't, no vision ins and I am sure that there are several more reasons not to go. But on the other hand, Vitran is dead, CT will grow and become hopefully a better company with our help. Sure I get a bump in pay, and the ability to work more hours if I need it in my check. Vitran was the only trucking company in 18 yrs of trucking that paid OT and you can not base your budget on your OT income.

I have been doing LG work for the past 2 yrs or so and like it, request it and get upset if I am not hooked to my 42' LG trailer. Going to CT and hopefully continuing the LG work, I get a chance to give Reggie (The Liftgate King) some help, he is the only one that does the LG deliveries with a trailer. I do not have much to lose like most of the senior guys in regards to pay or seniority, though I would rather not have to start over either. Plus, since several resume's have been put out, the phone is not ringing off the hook with offers. So far the CT people I have run into at their gate, the office clerk and some of the dock people have been friendly, might as well give the rest of them a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good move Jeepstr and I personally think you made the right decision. Any job you go to will have BS and I think most know that so that's one of the reasons I have chosen to stay. The equipment isn't that great but I don't have to drive it if it's unsafe. I could pick this company apart but why do that because it serves no constructive purpose. I go into this with my eyes wide open and I hope things work out. Over my years of working with Vitran I had some good times and as I walk away for the last time I know I cant help but feel sorrow. I already have but not for the reason many may think. I feel sorrow because we never reached our full potential because of Chris Keylons bad choices. I believe this company could have been saved with the right man. We were not to far gone to be saved. So as each person walks away for the last time just remember this....We had a good run and did the best we could. We can't help it that the man at the top was way in over his head.

have a good one 18, may 2014 be a better year for all. this is not the best time of the year to change jobs so alot of us will experience c.t. first hand. for me, this is better than unemployment until something else comes along. my doctors office also has'nt heard of cherokee.