ABF | Multi employer pension reform act of 2018

Credits
As the ABF forum, is the bastion of loud mouths, who are not in CSPF. I thought this the forum to ask the question. How much do you think this new, not yet proposed law, will cost the 9 million employees who are not in declining into oblivion pension funds. Those of you, who get twice the contribution, as CSPF. Seem to all have, a F.Y. attitude toward your fellow employees in CSPF. Well the changes are coming and you're getting them too. I'm extending a special invitation to the Coal Miners oracle, a man who got his formal education reading on the front porch, like honest Abe, himself. To voice his opinion on the subject regularly, after all it is he, who espouses the virtues of pensions over risky 401k's. I'm sure FREIGHTMASTER "1" will keep us updated over the critical closing days of November.

I for one dont even know what you just said. With that out of the way, I dont feel, see evidence that or anticipate the "Butch Lewis Act" will pass or even gain further steam. I have not expected a pension, feel sorry for those that do, and sort of pisses me off that us ABF ers consider the pension in our contracts, then bad mouth the 1 CEO who has a problem with her employees not getting a pension from the fund ABF pays into. After mismanagement mainly, crashes, YRC debacle, ABF is somehow the bad guy... Sorry but just as I see it..

I for one dont even know what you just said. With that out of the way, I dont feel, see evidence that or anticipate the "Butch Lewis Act" will pass or even gain further steam. I have not expected a pension, feel sorry for those that do, and sort of pisses me off that us ABF ers consider the pension in our contracts, then bad mouth the 1 CEO who has a problem with her employees not getting a pension from the fund ABF pays into. After mismanagement mainly, crashes, YRC debacle, ABF is somehow the bad guy... Sorry but just as I see it..
My original post was a cryptic, back handed, poking in the eye, of GO40, SAC75, Canary, NO union FOOL/docker, muler and their fellow travelers.

After much thought, I don't even think the looney left in the Democratic party will kill a new pension bill. The stakes are to high. IMO, very humble it is. Pension funds will be partitioned. Orphans will get their PBGC insured rate, current employers will no longer be the guarantor of their pensions. New pension accruals will be based on single employer discount rates, no more overly optimistic numbers. Past accruals might be cut some. PBGC premiums will be raised to single employer premiums. Current employees might get hit with a surcharge to pay for orphans. All of this has been proposed and its out their for anybody to read. go to "pension tsunami".

Hopefully within a year people will no how much their past accruals are worth, what their future accruals will be worth. But most importantly will know those accruals will be their when they retire.

My original post was a cryptic, back handed, poking in the eye, of GO40, SAC75, Canary, NO union FOOL/docker, muler and their fellow travelers.

After much thought, I don't even think the looney left in the Democratic party will kill a new pension bill. The stakes are to high. IMO, very humble it is. Pension funds will be partitioned. Orphans will get their PBGC insured rate, current employers will no longer be the guarantor of their pensions. New pension accruals will be based on single employer discount rates, no more overly optimistic numbers. Past accruals might be cut some. PBGC premiums will be raised to single employer premiums. Current employees might get hit with a surcharge to pay for orphans. All of this has been proposed and its out their for anybody to read. go to "pension tsunami".

Hopefully within a year people will no how much their past accruals are worth, what their future accruals will be worth. But most importantly will know those accruals will be their when they retire.
I for one am crushed, devastated & in tears over your post....lol....your a moron....

I for one am crushed, devastated & in tears over your post....lol....your a moron....
I take umbrage your characterizing me as a moron. Persons of your ilk, could easily be characterized as less than bright. ABF pours 30 grand into your pension fund every year. Then, the next minute your retirees over at CSPF plead poverty and beg Washington politicians for a bailout.

So who is the moron? The retiree who expects the tax payer to bail out a profitable corporation. Or the pension fund member who thinks he won't suffer any cuts, when they take 30 grand a year in contributions.

Part of the pension fiasco is, you blue state Teamsters think your entitled to more of the pension pie, than red state Teamsters. The new law will take care of some of that disparity.

I take umbrage your characterizing me as a moron. Persons of your ilk, could easily be characterized as less than bright. ABF pours 30 grand into your pension fund every year. Then, the next minute your retirees over at CSPF plead poverty and beg Washington politicians for a bailout.

So who is the moron? The retiree who expects the tax payer to bail out a profitable corporation. Or the pension fund member who thinks he won't suffer any cuts, when they take 30 grand a year in contributions.

Part of the pension fiasco is, you blue state Teamsters think your entitled to more of the pension pie, than red state Teamsters. The new law will take care of some of that disparity.
Bubba, 30k? I'm not up on exactly what ABF pays per person into my (homesick) pension but I thought it was only $230 a week max (for 5 tours; I'm a road driver) with a maximum of 188 tours a year (I worked 277 tours last year according to abfatwork). I'm in CSPF. Could you break down that 30k a year for me, please?

Bubba, I have been thinking about your 30k for a few minutes and it didn't make sense so I put a little math to work. Check me on this, $30k per employee, 8,500 employees (according to the IBT ballot count) is $255 million? I did something wrong or you did something wrong. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Bubba, 30k? I'm not up on exactly what ABF pays per person into my (homesick) pension but I thought it was only $230 a week max (for 5 tours; I'm a road driver) with a maximum of 188 tours a year (I worked 277 tours last year according to abfatwork). I'm in CSPF. Could you break down that 30k a year for me, please?
This must be the "TEST", ABF pays $342 a week to CSPF. Canary,GO40, Muler and their posse all belong to other Teamster pension funds, with much higher benefits and employer contributions. All of their supplements this last contract were actually pension bail outs. ABF has so much money they can "BACK STOP" their CSPF retirees, like UPS contractually has to when CSPF goes broke. That was a joke.

This must be the "TEST", ABF pays $342 a week to CSPF. Canary,GO40, Muler and their posse all belong to other Teamster pension funds, with much higher benefits and employer contributions. All of their supplements this last contract were actually pension bail outs. ABF has so much money they can "BACK STOP" their CSPF retirees, like UPS contractually has to when CSPF goes broke. That was a joke.
Bubba, I promise you this is not a test (not by me) because a test requires effort and energy I'm not willing to put into this. The pension is not that important to me. And I don't understand why it is so important to you. 10 days ago I got a text from Teamsters local 728 (Local 728 members and retirees: Help save Teamster pensions today! Urge our U.S. Senators and Representatives from Georgia to pass the Butch Lewis Act now. Call 888-979-9806. For updates
Text PENSION to 86466) so I called, followed the instructions, and left 3 messages for my 2 senators and my congressional representative. But not for the text, I would not have thought of my pension that day.

To me, the main difference between a defined contribution and a defined benefit plan is freedom and control (I want control of my pension). I don't understand why you are so against others giving away their freedom; to give others control of their pension? It doesn't hurt me, you, or anyone else if someone wants a defined benefit plan. It is their freedom to give away; it's their money to do with as they please.

The only joke here is YOU! We have no control over the pension , or if it will still be here when we retire? Central states or any other plan. You might want to find a new job that offers better health plan so you can get the proper care you need for your issues....

The only joke here is YOU! We have no control over the pension , or if it will still be here when we retire? Central states or any other plan. You might want to find a new job that offers better health plan so you can get the proper care you need for your issues....
GO40, I think it is time for transparency. I think it is time for you and your PEEPS to tell the FORUM, what pension fund you belong to and the particulars. Weekly pension contributions, benefits levels etc.. I don't feel like a joke,GO40. I will admit to being a troll, who enjoys poking bullies in the eye with facts, and the embarrassing truth.

GO40, I think it is time for transparency. I think it is time for you and your PEEPS to tell the FORUM, what pension fund you belong to and the particulars. Weekly pension contributions, benefits levels etc.. I don't feel like a joke,GO40. I will admit to being a troll, who enjoys poking bullies in the eye with facts, and the embarrassing truth.
You are a joke! Like i said before i belong to central Pa. teamsters, the yearly contribution is around 23k a year. who know's if it will be there when i retire? I have other funds for my retirement, Like it or not I will speak the truth, unlike yourself....

You are a joke! Like i said before i belong to central Pa. teamsters, the yearly contribution is around 23k a year. who know's if it will be there when i retire? I have other funds for my retirement, Like it or not I will speak the truth, unlike yourself....
If Bubba is correct about CSPF getting $342 a week from ABF, then ABF pays in about $12,859 on my behalf. That is because ABF only pays into CSPF until I work 188 tours, then they pay nothing on me for the rest of the year.

If Bubba is correct about CSPF getting $342 a week from ABF, then ABF pays in about $12,859 on my behalf. That is because ABF only pays into CSPF until I work 188 tours, then they pay nothing on me for the rest of the year.
I have no idea what central states contribute’s into the pension....

In all seriousness, The Butch Lewis act has been rated at a 3% chance of passing. Its time to forget about a pension in Central States. 2 contracts ago, Judy was the enemy due to this, seems as if she were the smart one. Next contract will be a battle of whits, legal battle over ABF contributing to a dead fund. Prepare.

In all seriousness, The Butch Lewis act has been rated at a 3% chance of passing. Its time to forget about a pension in Central States. 2 contracts ago, Judy was the enemy due to this, seems as if she were the smart one. Next contract will be a battle of whits, legal battle over ABF contributing to a dead fund. Prepare.
To be fair, the YRC deal did great damage to pay and pension. I don't feel like Judy has our best interest at heart, but to expect ABF to continue paying into the current pension is...odd. And it's not like a lot of current ABF employees are going to have a pension to collect when it comes time, if something doesn't change.

Last edited: