Yellow | My 2 cents worth on what went on

What a way to go/

I agree with most everything you gentlemen are saying. But this is not Texas Hold em. You are not seeing what is going on in the real world. Look at Fedx they are one of the largest in the business. And if their losing money what makes you think that this company is making money.I don't like this anymore then any of you . But lets see. if i give up one weeks vacation to keep my job. Instead of going looking for a new job @ 12 to 14 dollars an hour .What would I rather do? Or how about going on a call board and waiting by the phone again .What would I rather do ? Does this companies decision making suck .No doubt .Does it suck to be making less then we were 15 years ago . No doubt. Does it suck having the rug pulled out from under our feet? No doubt. But if anyone out there has a better plan then please tell it to the union and the company. Because obvilously they missed it.

I don't get what good it does to say how F'ed up YRC is even to their face if nothing is done about. Maybe the concessions are needed, but whats up with all the grievances and bad attitude from YRC and noone has a solution. Seems like it did no good except the atta boys for speaking out?

I don't know if you work for YRC or not but it seems to me that KK is more in tune to what YRC is about than alot of other people here on these boards and abroad brother. Just knowledging the facts instead of being "the silencing of the lambs"

just wondering if this goes through(it will) What happens with MASTER FRT AGREEMENT 2013? Our brothers and sisters at ABF deserve better !

You're right,they deserve better but what would you have us do sacrifice our jobs,the fact is even if we were to vote it down and YRC closed,ABF Management will still going after the teamsters for concessions.

Sorry to say, If YRC goes down, they WILL take ABF down with them. ABF cannot afford to pay the "unfunded liability" to the Central States Pension Fund, & ABF will be forced into bankruptcy by Central States. 2 good things came out of this, Zollars is gone & we do not have to give up more wages & or pay for health insurance. This whole thing SUCKS & i think Tyson should resign, this company has beat him like a red headed step child & we have lost every bit of leverage we have ever had, due to his failures to protect Teamsters during MULTIPLE, MULTIPLE, MULTIPLE C.O.O.'s. A man is only as good as his word & his words mean nothing. NUFF SAID

I have applied at ABF and was interviewed, just in case YRC goe's belly up--what am I going to have at ABF a $14hr casual position, no guarantees of work, no benefits, maybe a chance to be hired, or will I even get 40 hrs a week if do they do call. Its the best job I found on the open market here in Chicago. Do I want to go there---no, do I want to keep my $21hr with medical---yes... Think long and hard before you vote, don't think they're screwing me, think am I screwing myself?

Food for thought

Do I want to be a 40 to 60 year old male, looking for blue collar employment in a country without steel mills, a dismantled auto industry and a major housing slowdown?

Do I have time to retrain in a new industry and continue to support my family. Am I willing to take major risk and start a new company and possibly put the security of my family in jeopardy. I am industrious, if the YRC goes under, I can find plenty of odd jobs and keep my family fed. If all goes well with the government healthcare, my family will get necessary care. Will things be as good as they once were? Most likely, not. (Just ask one of the workers in the aforementioned industries.) Do I like the "proposal?" No, but its better than showing up for work and finding a note on the door.

Can I do a better job of negotiating a contract for thousands upon thousands of my brothers and sisters? Not a pair of shoes in which I need to walk. We are the last of our breed. If the company is gone, that for which we fought for so long will be gone; never to be seen again. If the company stays, we may live to fight another day.

Be thankful for what we have, I prefer the devil I know, to the devil I do not.
:popcorn:

problem with that elwood is that to fight another day you must still have some fight left in you !!!!!!
there is very little fight left in teamster members and and have been beaten down to where they believe that yrc is life itself and with that attitude just going along is all we have left im afraid that a yes vote will result in thing's worse forever with no hope

problem with that elwood is that to fight another day you must still have some fight left in you !!!!!!
there is very little fight left in teamster members and and have been beaten down to where they believe that yrc is life itself and with that attitude just going along is all we have left im afraid that a yes vote will result in thing's worse forever with no hope

I have plenty of fight. I fight for my brothers and sisters everyday. Most do have lives outside. That is exactly what we fight for, life outside YRC. I do understand those that would have the company close the doors. As members we must make informed decisions. I encourage no one to "just go along." I fight for those that want to draw a line in the sand and for those that choose to continue. I have enjoyed your posts, Longblade. There is wisdom.

I hope that our brothers and sisters will demand all the information available and make the best decision for each of them. I am saddened that it always takes major crises for members to get involved.

Again, be thankful for what we have. I prefer the devil I know to the one I do not.
:popcorn:

What are you going to fight, when your opponent is on the floor bleeding out,going to kick the crap out of them till you finish them off.

For some reason many people seem to think the company is not in that bad of shape and they are just hiding money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by cdlguy

Would you feel like sharing with us the tone & feel of that meeting, & your impressions? Thanks for getting the info to us so fast...our local still hasn't put out anything yet, including a date for a meeting.

It was very somber....when the financial guy went over the findings of going through YRCW's books (This is why you met in person, as the figures cannot be disclosed in the open)....you could have heard a pin drop in the whole building.

I know you guys will have plenty to say...BUT....if they don't get this passed....the lenders will most likely pull out.

I am not, nor are any of the other Locals, trying to sell you a bill of goods.....we voted to take the information back to our members without a recommendation, present the information and the members will get ballots after 10/7 and it will be in their power to vote yes...or vote no.

Anyone on here that was present knows I went to the microphone and spoke my mind.

I did say ...."I want to thank the Committee for all the hard work they have gone through to help try and save jobs...we are still dealing with a company that has become anti-employee since the last bailout.....management is showing no respect to our members and to this day purposely violates our NMFA....Now that they want another handout to save their sorry asses, they are wanting these same employees to forget and forgive and vote yes to save the company?....Many of our members have had enough of their crap and say let them reap what they have sown!...."
that is what I said at the microphone, as hard as it was, knowing that over 25,000 jobs are at risk....but that is what our members are telling us, and that is what I said at the microphone.

While there will NOT be anymore wage reductions until 2015...is losing 1 week of vacation, 10 minutes of breaks daily, drop and hook your own sets....etc...etc worth the risks?

That is why the constitution must be adhered to, and you and anyone who still has recall rights will be voting....I do not vote for you....that is your privilege and duty as a union member to do so.....KK

OK...here's the question. They say if this isn't passed, the lenders will pull out. I can see the lenders pulling out without the financial side of the concessions. But what do the lenders have to do with changes in the work rules?? Those work rules were fought for & won over many many years. We all know that once they're changed, it becomes past practice, & it takes an act of congress to get them changed. And, what about the contract in 2013? Are those new rules going to become part of that contract?? Why can't we vote on these things separately? It seems like there would be more success at getting something passed if we didn't have to vote on the proposal as an all or nothing.

OK...here's the question. They say if this isn't passed, the lenders will pull out. I can see the lenders pulling out without the financial side of the concessions. But what do the lenders have to do with changes in the work rules?? Those work rules were fought for & won over many many years. We all know that once they're changed, it becomes past practice, & it takes an act of congress to get them changed. And, what about the contract in 2013? Are those new rules going to become part of that contract?? Why can't we vote on these things separately? It seems like there would be more success at getting something passed if we didn't have to vote on the proposal as an all or nothing.

Lenders want to see a business plan they think will work and they know these work rules cost the company a lot of money,I don't like it but lenders could care less how hard we fought for those rules.

And I could care less if the lenders lose their money. I am not working for free to help them make money for doing nothing.

az many are just sheep that believe every word thats told them . thats never been good for any1 .
if you believe that yrc and the union wouldnt lie to you you better think again .
1 best contract ever .
2 we just need 10% to bail this mess out .
3 just 5% more and your pension and less med payment egualing nearly 42% of your over all pay.
4this will be the fix all this time if not be sure we will be back for more .

For some reason many people seem to think the company is not in that bad of shape and they are just hiding money.

With the 2nd round of concessions teamsters placed Ms. Ghilarducci on the board of directors. Being a Pension Benefit Strategist, her input may be a guide for the 25% contribution. Should this next round pass, Teamsters will choose another board member, hopefully with significant financial background, thus putting these "hiding money" rumors to rest.

I don't believe they are hiding money so let's continue the pension hold for another year then vote again. I don't agree with extending the contract to 2015. I'd rather not give up my vacation but would if I had to. Where and when does the Vacation go back to what we have now? Why is that not spelled out? Last of all Tyson needs to let the co. sell the doom and gloom he works for us!

Try FEDEX or Conway...I'm sure they'll treat ya just how ya'd like to be treated....and you'll be there forever...beat down and surrendered..making your own bed. Then ya can say that ya were a Teamster.....cause this will be the last of it........$14/hr to start at UPSF and them guys get treated like crap too...ABF will be working for even less and be gone in less than 3 would be my prediction.

do you really think we're better than Conway now or any of the others no we are not if this would pass we would be worse

And I could care less if the lenders lose their money. I am not working for free to help them make money for doing nothing.
And how's that statement gonna fly at your next job? At Conway, or FEDEX? When ya say that....remember how it felt...because it just might be the last time in youyr life you have a say with what goes on at work.

az many are just sheep that believe every word thats told them . thats never been good for any1 .
if you believe that yrc and the union wouldnt lie to you you better think again .
1 best contract ever .
2 we just need 10% to bail this mess out .
3 just 5% more and your pension and less med payment egualing nearly 42% of your over all pay.
4this will be the fix all this time if not be sure we will be back for more .

It isn't like the wqhole industry is making money...i think everybody took a hurting...If the rest of the companies were doing great..it might look like we are really getting ripped off...but the rest of the industry took hits too...FEDEX freight lost money..Conway lost money..

I don't believe they are hiding money so let's continue the pension hold for another year then vote again. I don't agree with extending the contract to 2015. I'd rather not give up my vacation but would if I had to. Where and when does the Vacation go back to what we have now? Why is that not spelled out? Last of all Tyson needs to let the co. sell the doom and gloom he works for us!

I would suspect the vacation will never return

do you really think we're better than Conway now or any of the others no we are not if this would pass we would be worse
Big difference we can have a say in our workplace alot sooner than they could...If ya went to Conway today...How long till ya 'MIGHT" get a contract and ya might have a say? Things turn around we are already unionized...it could take years before ya ever get another contract..but here ya have one and when things turn around for everyone we'll know that it';s time to reverse what's been done.