Yellow | My Roadway Pumpkin Didn't Have Air-conditioning.

Wasn't Viking part of the doublebreasting like conways were to CF. I thought Viking was tied into Big R. Big R also ran non union RPS, Roadway Package Systems, and ROLS, Roadway Logistics Systems if I recall correctly .
I started with Roadway Express in 1981. Around that time very profitable Roadway Express started Roadway Services. Roadway Services started buying non union LTL carriers such as Viking etc. Roadway Services started RPS which became Fedex Ground. After the Teamster strike of 1994, Roadway Services spun off Roadway Express as a stand alone company, and Roadway Services became Caliper. Fedex bought Caliper and the rest is a long story to tell.

Did you ever carry kerosene smudge pots for road flares? I did!
I still have a set with the bracket to hold them in the cab. I'll put them on eBay one of these days.

See, I wasn't kidding.

XTMLrNu.jpg

You ever drive a KB11 or F8 Ford?, tell me I havn't lit a few!
Had to flag someone down to borrow a match, a time or 2.
Seriously back in those days, we hardly ran a week without a flat tire.

I hear you on the flats. I don't go quite as far back as you, first tractors I drove were H model Macks (1966). I did come close to having my first TT trip back in 1961 driving a B42 Mack gas job pulling a construction trailer well into upstate NY on old Route 17. Looking back I'm glad that didn't happen.

I hear you on the flats. I don't go quite as far back as you, first tractors I drove were H model Macks (1966). I did come close to having my first TT trip back in 1961 driving a B42 Mack gas job pulling a construction trailer well into upstate NY on old Route 17. Looking back I'm glad that didn't happen.

We had a B42 and a fleet of A50 gas burners.
As late as 1956 Ryder was still running a few Great Southern Master Leases, those guys were required to maintain
A set of tires on a company trailer, They were paid .025 or .050 pr mile for the trailer miles, I think this money was about as good as tractor miles.
We didn't go union till 1957, they were cut off at that time, most kept their seniority.

I’ve been down “new” route 17 I wouldn’t want to see old route 17!!