My Swift Driving Academy Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone loves to bash anyone who went to these 'starter' outfits, but what most veteran drivers forget is that they were once rookies as well. No one was born with a wheel in their hand, so no one knew everything under the sun when they first started driving. What we forget is that it's a steep learning curve that takes years of driving before you start to get the hang of things. Larger companies like Swift, England and the likes have no choice but to lower their standards for trainers, or they are going to have 6+ students per training truck.

We forgot what it was like to be a rookie because it was so long ago. We think this job is easy because of that, but did you think it was easy when you first started? I know I didn't. I was practically overwhelmed with everything I had to learn, and I couldn't back a trailer to save my life. If only the instructors at Roadmaster could see me now. I could probably back circles around them.

Ignore everyone. Just throw that beast into neutral and let her roll! YEEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!!
I often used to see Big R's cruising at 80+- down the hills on I-80 in PA :shrug:
+1!

Great post Pilot. I agree 100%. The n00b give the impression that he has a very good attitude toward this new path in his life, and it appears that he has a good foundation to build upon.

One thing he needs from all of us is a sympathetic ear and whatever honest and straightforward answers that we can give should he ask us any questions.

Kalak's posts are articulate and well composed, indicating to me that he has a good head on his shoulders. I am eager to read of his progress, and expect that he will be a great example for his fellow Swifties to follow.
I don't know, if he really had a good head on his shoulders I think he'd find a different career. This one's going down the toilet fast.

I don't know, if he really had a good head on his shoulders I think he'd find a different career. This one's going down the toilet fast.

I dunno, I think it went there about 40 years ago, and someone just keeps flushing. :shrug:

What I remember 30+ yrs ago was you had one job to do, get from point A to B in a safe and timely manner and be professional in action and appearance but as time went on the computor and handheld came into play so we can micro manage and question your every move. I worked in a factory where the forman held a stop watch doing his time studies on us in the 70's after that got into trking to get away from some clown peering over my shoulder and look how its evolved today-same crap but by satellite,glad I did my time early instead of now esp 90% of middle management is overseen by college boys with no clue but can tell you how to do your job, reminds me of a bunch of 2nd lts. in the military no hands on exp, just a lot of book smarts.

I often used to see Big R's cruising at 80+- down the hills on I-80 in PA :shrug:

stock-photo-toilet-flushing-water-close-up-54807382.jpg

Do you Know the definition of a professional is? Following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain.

As for Rick showing me how to downshift on a hill, When in my life am i supposed to learn how to do it? When I'm loaded and the truck pops out of gear and I have to recover into a higher gear then figure it out on my own? You say that it was a dumb move, I am grateful that he had the foresight and was willing to teach me something that may save my life or the lives of others.
Well you have not made a living at it yet and being with Swift chances are pretty good you won't. You are not a professional , you are merely a licensed truck driver. talk to me in 30 years

Really? You can't seem to post without boasting.

Guardrail

I just love how you only reply to part of my post. Read the whole thing instead of the last sentence. Or are you incapable of doing that? Nothing I said was boasting.

I could boast if you want. Then we would have something to argue about.

Did someone **** in your wheaties this morning? I hate **** soaked wheaties.

I just love how you only reply to part of my post. Read the whole thing instead of the last sentence. Or are you incapable of doing that? Nothing I said was boasting.

The rest of the post is irrelevant, it was ruined by your insatiable need to brag on yourself.

I could boast if you want. Then we would have something to argue about.

You did already. That's why I called you out again.

Did someone **** in your wheaties this morning? I hate **** soaked wheaties.

I'm not sure how someone would come about knowing what pee soaked Wheaties are like. That's probably something that would cross the family friendly environment here at Truckingboards. But hey, what you and yours do in the privacy of your own home is up to you. Just keep it to yourself.

Guardrail

Well you have not made a living at it yet and being with Swift chances are pretty good you won't. You are not a professional , you are merely a licensed truck driver. talk to me in 30 years

Some people tend to believe that being a "professional" equates to only to possessing "Experience" ... While it is true that the definition of a "professional" is a person "Engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood"... with that being stated....it does not specify any length of time that a person must be engaged in a Profession to be considered a "professional" ....

Another definition of professional means possessing a "Characteristic of or befitting a profession or one engaged in a profession".... This seems to expand the meaning beyond just working in a "profession".... it indicates that a person must also be of a person of character.......

There are many many examples that we all see on the Nations highways.... So called "professional" drivers preforming their jobs, and behaving in very unprofessional means...and most of them are the "experienced" drivers.........and that goes beyond the driving aspect....Has anyone ever stopped at a Truckstop and seen how many of these "Professionals" dress...?? or how they haven't bathed in who knows how long???... or the language used...and I just don't mean just excessive profanity....I refer to the use of language as if they haven't had any education past the 2nd grade.... ... I know that not all Drivers are like that...but all to many are... enough to sully the reputation of those that are not....

So to say that someone is not a professional just because of a lack of experience is not necessarily true in the broader scope of what it means to be a professional....

Being a Professional involves the right attitude, more so than how many years of experience a person may have....A Newly minted CDL driver that has a positive attitude about the job...and about how he, or she, chooses to represent themselves to the public and preform the duties of a driver in a safe and responsible manner....Dressing appropriately....to be clean.. speak in a manner that gives others the impression that you have an education....behave respectfully....and yes that can be difficult at times...but it is the mark of a Professional to have the ability to do so......These traits are not something that is gained only with experience.....The New Driver can choose to emulate these attitudes and behaviors from the very beginning....

In the case of Mr Kalak, we only know him through his postings of his experience at the Swift Training Center....and as I mentioned in a prior post....from that he seems to display the right attitude that will make him a "Professional" from Day one on his own.....

You are not a professional , you are merely a licensed truck driver. talk to me in 30 years

According to the strict definition of the word he is, or will be when he starts driving on his own...and as far as your attitude towards the new Drivers....I would wonder about your "professionalism"..
The New Drivers need our respect and our willingness to mentor them.....not tear them down treat them as if they have no value......Did you forget that you were a new driver at one point in time...?

Why do say that he should talk you in 30 years? Why 30 years? Do you think that is how long it takes, in your view, to become a "professional"?... Is that how long it took you?......

There are many Examples of drivers with decades of experience that have never become worthy of being called Professional.... and by the same token there are many many examples of drivers with very little...perhaps a year or two... that rightly can be called a professional....

Being labeled "professional" is a misnomer in trucking. There are no more "professional" drivers, merely those that whinge, moan, irritate and PROVE their UN professionalism by the ways they direct their units, their foul language whenever, wherever as well the ways they treat other drivers, truck stop staff and the general public and those that went from regional driving (mommy will not allow me very far from home) to driving for the U.S.P.S.
I'm referring to the new breed of drivers: those that no can red inglis and are unconcerned about learning ENGLISH.
SWIFT hires them by the trailer load (which may very well have been how they arrived).

RELAX kalak, I'm not slamming swift.
EVERYONE STARTED SOMEWHERE and we might well be surprised by where who started with what company.

DO NOT pay much attention to pro1drivel. Some times he has useful information (like when he's relaxed after a evening with pole dancers or blow up dolls), and for the most part he does supply then some seemingly decent information, regarding trucking, not the other.
He may well have forgotten most of what he thought he knew but then such happens when ones' mind is stuck on one track or train of thought.
RELAX pro1, it'll be over soon then it's off to VALHALLA with 71 OLD DOMINIONS.

I'm a STEERING CONTROL OPERATIVE and follow the guidance of the Immortal Beings that emcompass the Globe!!
I started driving in late '98 and not surprisingly, came from a construction and warehouse background.

Thank You kalak for your itinerary and please STICK AROUND as the fun gets better with age.

CHEERS!! :wavey:

I tell you what. If you have a problem with what I said, I don't give a rats. Add me to your ignore list instead of constantly ruining threads by arguing with me.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm stating fact. You love to brag about yourself.

Guardrail

I'm not arguing with you. I'm stating fact. You love to brag about yourself.

Guardrail

You are arguing. Again: I WASNT BRAGGING!!!

Reread the damn post. The last sentence was meant to be there, and don't expect me to hold your hand because you can't put 2 and 2 together.

Add me to your ignore list if it bothers you that much. You aren't the only moderator here, but you're the only member that has a problem with damn near everything I say.

One more note:

If you don't back off now and add me to your ignore list, I'm going to add you to mine. One way or another, this will be my last post directed to your attention. This goes for anyone else that thinks I was boasting in that post and continues this argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, you can't ignore me. I won't allow it. Now, what can I do to irritate you some more? I guess I could drag out all the other posts where you brag about how much better you are than everyone else on this planet.

More on this later...

Oh yeah, don't try that hand holding crap with me. I don't swing that way. It's OK if you do, just don't try it with me. Mrs. Guardrail is a red head and she is mean. Fair warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.